new owner need help about baby indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

vincent_nguyen248

new owner need help about baby indian ringneck

Post by vincent_nguyen248 »

hi everybody!
i just brought home a baby indian ringneck 4 weeks old last week from breeder. when i first brought him home, he was so scared of me and just stayed in a corner and everytime when i put the hand in his box to bring him outside to hand feed him, he tried to make a small sound like baby bird sound. after the first two days, he is fine now, he went around his box, play toys, and not make any noise when i put my hand in, but when i put my hand in his box, he opens his mouth and gives me one bite(not hurt) and then let me touch him and pet him. When i bring him out of his box, he let me hand feed him( he eat a lots). after that he runs to my hand and he can do "step up" on my hand. however, as soon as he sees his box, he tries to get back into his box. I can't play with him in his box and he is scared me when he stays in his box.he seems to like his box than me. PLEASE HELP ME!! :( what can i do with a baby ringneck to make him more tame with me.
One more thing, when i asked breeder about his age, she said that he was 3 weeks old. But i see a lots feathers in his wing but not in his body or head. any one know how old is he. When i do some research on google, i think he is 6 weeks old. please help me.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

You keep him in a box? Can your baby perch? Can you please get him a cage or a perch/stand? Im thinking this baby is too young perhaps.
Sounds like hes quite young if he is not fully feathered. If so, the breeder should not have given him to you at this stage as most ringnecks wean at about 8 weeks old.
Does he eat seeds and solid foods?
Im a little worried about this one being too young.
I wouldnt worry about him not wanting your attention at this stage. It will take some time to develop a relationship with your new bird. They wont automatically bond to you. Give your baby some time to adjust to the new environment. Be patient. Let him get to know you. At the moment he might be a little wary of you. Its normal. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

depends on what purpose the box has? if the chic doesn't have feathers yet it should be in a brooder (sorry I cant think what its called) box with heat light if in a cold place.If the chic is ok until it sees the box the simple answer to me would be to move away from the box and not give the bird the temptation to get to it. Now is the time to get the baby tame , before it learns how to bite properly.
vincent_nguyen248

Post by vincent_nguyen248 »

Thank you for all of your replies. the bird is just 4 weeks old now, he still needs to stay in a box with the heat bath. Although i am not a experience breeder, i used to hand feed my conure, green cheek and cockatiel. the reason i want to bring him home soon is that i do not want him to suffer any more from his breeder. When i came to his breeder's house, i saw she put 14 baby birds ( indian ringneck, love bird, cockatiel) in a small box. at that time i felt so bad for all of them because they do not have enough space to stay. Moveover, when i saw she handfeed her baby bird, she did not washing her hand before she put her fingure to check the food temperature. so i decide to bring him home soon to give my baby bird a good environment and enough space to grow up.
Right now he does not bite me any more when i put my hand in his box and he still plays his toys even i am petting him in his box :D , i spend 3-4 hours everyday to play with him. Sometimes he run to me when i say " come here, Apple". I am on the way to potty training him. But i still have some things want to ask. IS IT OK TO LET MY BIRD EAT HIS POOP? sometimes i saw my little bird grab his poop in his mouth. And wight now i want to buy more toys for my bird, but when i check in the website, they have toys for small, medium and large bird. COULD ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF INDIAN RINGNECK IS SMALL BIRD OR MEDIUM BIRD? SO I CAN ORDER MORE TOYS FOR MY LITTLE BABY BIRD? Thanks
julie

Post by julie »

if the chic is eating poo it would probably be good idea to start putting things like corn kernels and peas ect in for it to start weaning. Its at an age where they like to put things in their mouth and will eventually start eating what goes in its mouth instead of playing with it.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Get a cage. But make sure its big.
Goodluck.. :wink: