as a pet

Moderator: Mods

eshwaar

as a pet

Post by eshwaar »

i was calling around to different breeders in search of a ring neck and i was told by a breeder that they stopped breeding theese birds cause they make bad pets, but when i come to this site everyone here loves theese bird. what seems to be the stigma that theese bord make bad pets?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I have heard about that too but i cant actually say if its correct or not. i dont have an IRN as a pet yet
inept

Post by inept »

Well, they can be quite ornery and they are fairly stubborn and independent at times, but they are also hilarious, personable, clever, rambunctious, beautiful and infinitely charming. Naturally, a bird's personality has a lot to do with the way it's handled and treated.

They're quite easy to care for too. Not at all picky about food, for example.

I guess the subjective quality of a Ringneck as a pet also has a lot to do with your expectations.
wrynsmom

Good pet

Post by wrynsmom »

IRNs ARE very headstrong. Some people just like really submissive birds, I guess. I have a couple of friends with FANTASTIC IRNs. Both are male. For some reason, the ones I've met that have made good pets are male. My husband's female IRN is really sweet to him, but hates everyone else. Lucky us!!! I think as long as you don't let them get away with bad behavior, and you socialize them well with lots of people, then they're great birds!
leo

Post by leo »

yup, they can be very nice and almost never bite if your bring them up properly...

i think the most important part is bluffing period, if this period the bird is tought well, he will grow up well. alot of people can not handle bluffing indian ringneck and draw quick conclusion that they are mean bird...

in my area too, IRN are popular as lousy pet by shops...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
eshwaar

Post by eshwaar »

thanks everyone....i think for the most part all of you had confirmed my thinking, that the people who told me this or even thinks his is cause they dont know how to handle birds period. even if there still a breeder it dosent matter, maybe they just dont know
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

What? :shock:

This is the weirdest thing i keep hearing about ring necks..
leo

Post by leo »

yup,that is the opinion of irn in my place and most of other place...
IRN is really mean when they gone through bluffing,like,this nite he is sweet,and next morning, he is as evil as u can never imagine...but with proper handling,he will become as sweet as baby again...(i think i heard some stories that say they never become nice again)...alot of people giving up IRN IRN as pet or breeder.
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
julie

Post by julie »

I have heard it several times and just think they don't know what they are missing out on. I don't believe they need to be handled everyday to have a tame bird, I wouldn't appreciate having someone in my face everyday so I don't do it to my birds.
leo

Post by leo »

julie wrote:I have heard it several times and just think they don't know what they are missing out on. I don't believe they need to be handled everyday to have a tame bird, I wouldn't appreciate having someone in my face everyday so I don't do it to my birds.
yea, there are times when they get bored and choose to be alone...
there is 1 time tango behave like as if he will never want me anymore too
eshwaar

Post by eshwaar »

[quote="leo"]yup, they can be very nice and almost never bite if your bring them up properly...

i think the most important part is bluffing period, if this period the bird is tought well, he will grow up well. alot of people can not handle bluffing indian ringneck and draw quick conclusion that they are mean bird...

in my area too, IRN are popular as lousy pet by shops...[/quotetypicall]
typicall when does the bluffing stages begin and what is the proper way to handle them when they are going throught his stage. ive heard that all u could really do is just irnore then when they bite u. but they also have really pointy sharp beaks.