help needed with skeet

Moderator: Mods

bec

help needed with skeet

Post by bec »

latley skeets gone realy weird
as most of you know she was hand reared by me from 3 weeks old and i know that shes had alot of stuff to deal with (evavuating during bush fires earthquakes & now a new bird too!)she is 8 mkonths old

but shes acting like a totaly different bird latley but at the same time doesnt seem to be acting like i expected with bluffing
skeet has always loved time out of her acge & has flown happily to me when i call her but
not any more she wont come out of her cage without a fight she flys around the cage like a freaked out wild bird instead of stepping up on my hand once i actualyy get her out she will fly to the top of pickles cage & croon to him untill hes close enouigh then she lunges & bites his toes she doenst fly onto me anymore & bedtime has become a major pain
last week she would ride my shoulder while i cleaned her cage then run down my arm as the food went in....................
no more now it cqhase her round the room till she lands somwhere i can reach her then put her on her perch in side the cage once shes in her cage she wont try to come out again but the whole chasing her round is freaking pickle out worse too
im ive nver had to deal with this before any ideas guys?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Have you put something new in the room with her cage and she does not welcome it, Maybe she just has her period..:lol:
bec

Post by bec »

U.S Marine wrote:Have you put something new in the room with her cage and she does not welcome it, Maybe she just has her period..:lol:
to the first part other than pickle nothing new has been added to the room her cage is in
as to the second part on behalf of females everywhere i say
hey!!!! thats mean!!!!! :lol:
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Other then Pickle nothing new was added..Maybe it is Pickle that has her in a sissy mood, Try separating them into different rooms. Actually re range Skeet but keep Pickle in the same room.
bec

Post by bec »

hmmmm im not sure how well that would go down as her behaviour changes started when we got home after evacuating from the fires
she started with just out and out refusing to exit her new cage then she got worse after the tremours she still refused to exit her cage but screamed if i left her not just the mummy get back here scream but a realy im scared dont leave me alone thing i just dont know if moving her from her safty zone is a good idea right now maybe all the changes in her life are whats caused the changes in her i suppose i could give it a shot this week while the kids are off other places & i have some time at home to see what her reaction will be
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Could Skeet just be freaked out from having to evacuate? Maybe she might think that you will have to do it again?
bec

Post by bec »

ive been thinking that too plus she was alone in her cage whenn both earth tremours struck so im thinking i just may have to go with taming her again like she wasnt tame before slowly getting her trust built up again
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Yea, Maybe that's what you gotta do is build trust again, Animals probably have sense's we don't have. So move her to a new room while building that trust? :idea:

May i see pictures of your Ringnecks, Do you have pictures of them on this forum some were already?
bec

Post by bec »

yep there are heaps of pick of gen jen (formaly known as general ), riku skeet kieron(my avitar) &orchid on the pic forum i will post pics of pickle & the budgies as soon as my daughter helps me do it
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I'll give an update of my bird with pictures tomorrow morning...Sounds like a deal? :D
julie

Post by julie »

I think it may be a stage they go through, think of it like a parent with a teenage girl, except skeet is the teenager. I would do what u.s marine said and casually start over with her until she snaps out of it.
bec

Post by bec »

today shes a bit better shes startde3d taking food from my hand again but only if im outside her cage & feed it to her through the bars & shes also telling me of for leaving her presence :roll:
it just getting very hard to find places to seperate her too im running out of rooms!!!!!!!! i dont want her in the dining room and the lounge room is the room that everyone gets to go in at different times of the day (cat time dog time fid time so i dont want her permanantly set up in there
hhhhhhmmmmmmm maybe i need to win tattloto so i can buy a bigger house
julie

Post by julie »

i find that ring necks don't need to be handled everyday,unless it gets to a point where its a constant thing if she seems moody leave her be and just pay attention to her when she wants to. Indie is super tame but he has his days where all he wants to do is be in his cage, other days we cant get away from him and if he cant get to us he calls us (not contact calls) he calls our names .
bec

Post by bec »

if it was just a day or two i would not be too worried this has been going on scince febuary
leo

Post by leo »

it happen to tango before, excactly what you gone through with skeet...
I do recall indoor flight trianing to all my bird, tango is the best candidate compare to all. but 1 morning, he just went mad and bity. lounge at anything come near. when i open the cage, all she wnted was to get away from human...so i let her be and it goes for more than 1 week.

when i was training my tiel, he just wathc us from her confortable distance...then finally she decided to fly to my sholder and back to her self again.

i think it is jaut a period for them where they want to be wild, but i think if you make a fussed over it and try to get her back, she will have a fun with it and develope a behaviour
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
bec

Post by bec »

skeets stopped freaking at me coming near her now & started pining her eyes & lunging at me and screaming at me & only being nice if im holding popcorn so im guessing we are in full blown bluffing stage now :cry:
my baby's growing up
tazbird3

Post by tazbird3 »

Hang in there with Skeet. It may get worse before it gets better, but I'm sure it will get better eventually. Our babies grow up, but then they come back to us...
bec

Post by bec »

im hanging in .............
skeet is starting to do her "bekkie time call again as im boiling the kettle for my morning coffee & cutting fruit shes calling and when i put the food in her cage shes doing her little hmmm this is good mutter again so at least shes started to show me she will be herself again when the hormones settle down again
im starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel
bec

Post by bec »

well after considering all the upheaval skeets been through of late i ended up leaving skeet in the room she was in and moving pickle out into the lounge room
well the change in BOTH fids was imediete!
I left the door open to skeets room so she could supervise & she started throwing temper tantrums which got worse the second visitors walked in the house(of course) then i put the popcorn machine on & her yells took on a different note the o popcorn goody!!!!! tone as soon as it was done one of the guests took popcorn into her & gave her lots of attention while handing over the goodies she decided she liked this & hammed up for more attention which was promptly given (thanks lizzie!!!!)

and skeet very quickly settled into a happier mood (she didnt pinn or lunge for the rest of the day)

pickle has decided the lounge room is definitly the place to be as he can survey all the good spots from here he likes watching matt play on the computor and if im reading or watching telly he can supervise that too but best of all he can see if im coming with yummies!!!!!!!within half an our of being moved into the lounge my little panic bub was actally watching us calmly and moving around the cage with people in the room hes still not sure about us going near his food bowls as this means the scary hands are near him but he gets over it alot quicker
im not actually sure what the difference is but i was wondering if it could be that in skeets room the door opens inwars towards his cage but all the doors he can see open away from him
or maybe its just that in the other room when we went in there the focus was on the birds in the lounge we do other things so he can observe us while our focus is else where
either way its working