Ear Plugs

Moderator: Mods

threio

Ear Plugs

Post by threio »

I have had Threio for almost a year now. The green fire ball turns 1 on 3-3-09.

My much awaited day of bonding is long over. I can't go nowhere in my apartment w/o him hopping, jumping, and flying to catch a free ride or find out what I am doing.

Needless to say, I can't go potty w/o Threio calling for me..... mind you we live in a loft apartment and he can see where I am going and knows the area !!!!!!!! A trip to the garbage shoot and its the end of the world!!!

Anyway I seen a couple of days ago on the net that someone recommended EAR PLUGS to drown out the high pitched call so U can avoid losing UR patience and starting a habit U most want to avoid.

Has anyone tried this method?

BTW, Threio has decided that the night cover is not a deterent for the morning calls. This FID has decided to try and squawk the cover off the cage until I come and let the sunshine in !!!!

I HAVE NO CONTROL OF SOUND ANYMORE :shock:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Hahahaha

Do you call back to him with a certain noise? or even talk to him while your still in earshot of him?

After 2 years i have totally zoned out of my guys high pitched squarks - i dont even realise he is doing it half the time. My mother and brother on the other hand have to say something to him every time he opens his mouth haha!
threio

Post by threio »

Yeah, unfortunately its HUSH !

I am whining, its the bathroom thing that's driving me crazy. Just because Threio doesn't need privacy and a moment of relaxation to relieve himself doesn't mean I DON"T!

The Saturday argument over sleeping in will work itself out -- maybe I need to Google Go -- Ear Plugs! :)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Try doing a short sharp whistle, repeated, every time you go out of his view. Give it a few days and he will be doing the whistle to you to see where you are.

Its a lot easier on the ears than a shriek.

My fid has started doing the kind of whistle you use to call a dog haha!
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

Reylle i have been very careful not to over use the whistle for the dog or the cat (got seperate ones) and have like you suggested for therio whistle a seperate tune for the birds when am movng into and out of the room - if they use it no matter where i am i answer with it seems to seetle them down a lot - though Siren still likes to make that noise that she is named after - lol - i think it is just for the fun of making it -lol

Therio you do learn to tune it out may sound impossibel but i also have - but then i am luck my glas dont make noise in the morning until around 8am (a sleep in for me) - i think by then they are starving and want their forgerig foods.
It is the visitors who dont like the noises they make and well tough it is my house with my animals you deal with it -lol
threio

Post by threio »

thanks for the advice

Oddly enough, I can't whistle worth a nickel. I will need to come up with a noise. LOL

Since Threio's wings have grown back he has been much more boisterous and destructive. The constant begging for food has become irritating also. (He always has plenty of food and snacks in his cage)

I work from home, so I am with him all day & night. A run to the store is my only refuge and that lasts no more than 2-3 hours.

Basically all this noise is for attention !!!!
Janet

orienting call

Post by Janet »

Parrots and rosellas in the wild have an orienting call. They will call out to find out where their flock is relative to them and they listen for the answer. I have two lutinos who call out to each other if they are at different ends of the room so I am assuming they are giving their orienting call. The call is a really loud squawk. I wonder if your guy is just expecting a reply from you to let him know where you are?
threio

Post by threio »

That's exactly what it is. He only does it when in the cage or when Threio is too lazy to fly into the bathroom before I shut the door. :D

I call for him to come in take a shower with me he ignores me, then as soon as I get in the shower, panic sets in and he raises the roof. I live in a loft so the echo is quite irritating.

I guess I am asking too much since he knows exactly where I am it just doesn't register in his bird brain. LOL

In any event he is so dependent on my presence its sickening sometimes. Just 6 months ago he barely would come near me. Now that he can fly he is attached to me in some form or other all day.

I am being smothered by IRN LOVE - :D
Janet

ear plugs

Post by Janet »

He is a flock creature. Seems like he is only doing what is natural for him. I would suggest you get him a feathered friend. I now have four ringnecks. While they are still very attached to me, they are also happy to keep each other entertained. I started out with two. Interestingly, four are no noiser than two because they tend to chat amongst themselves.
threio

Post by threio »

yes, i am no way upset with threio, i am upset with myself. if I would of pretended to go somewhere everyday for the 1st 6 months this probably wouldn't be an issue now.

I was thinking the same thing. do you think a regular parakeet would be sufficient to keep threio company?

and how close would there cages have to be so threio thinks he is in a flock
Janet

Noisy bird

Post by Janet »

By a regular parakeet, do you mean a budgerigar? Strange they are called different things in different places.

All my guys are ringnecks who live in the same very big cage (or around the house and on me). I don't know how your guy would get along with a bird of a different breed. I have noticed that some other people have different types of birds so maybe someone else can help you there.

Have you considered another ringneck? It is amazing to watch them interact doing ringneck things. Ringneck business seems to keep them occupied most of the day! Their latest enterprise is for the two lutinos to work together to get their big toys up their ladder. I wonder what they will do with them if they get them up there?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

all i really know is that you cant put them in the same cage.
my conure is right next to my budgie cage and she thinks shes a budgie now.