sudden "biting" & "unprovoked attack"

Moderator: Mods

doremon

sudden "biting" & "unprovoked attack"

Post by doremon »

Hi:

I''ve a couple of questions which I hope someone can provide some advice on, with regards to "biting" and "unprovoked attacks" from my IRN.

I've a Blue IRN (Male), and he's about 4 years old (born around Oct 2004). Whilst I do notice that it may seem that's it the mating season now (seen from the fact that my IRN does this "mating" dance in/around his cage, and also displays it to my Cockatiel (also a male) and that the hormones may be affecting his behaviour, he seems to (sometimes) get into this mood of biting and attacking my wife whenever she's around or in the same room. This seem to happen a lot near where his cage is located - my wife could be at the opposite ends of the room yet my IRN would fly to her, and stated biting and attacking her and would let go - she's suffered a few wounds as a result :( The thing is, my IRN is VERY VERY attached to her, more so than me, and it otherwise very affectionate. It is only during this time that he somehow goes a little beserk! And like I said, the so-called attacks seem to happen only near his cage - if we bring his away he's usually OK. And like I said, my IRN is usually very good and affectionate, and I don't think it's the bluffing stage, as this seem to occur yearly, but just that this time is particularly bad (esp with regards to the unprovoked attacks)

Could that be due to him being in the mating season, and that his hormones playing a part, or could that point to some (other unknown) problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
nillasdad

DNA

Post by nillasdad »

Has your IRN been DNA'd a male?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

he's about 4 years old...
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

My little guy did the same to me just before Christmas. Drove me insane! Hes more bonded to me than he is to my partner, yet i was the one getting attacked (im female, so maybe it has something do with that - considering hes attacking your wife??). It was hormonal and he went into breeding earlier than he should. He'd growl and attack me like never before if i walked past his cage. As soon as he was outside and away he was fine - if not a little more skittish than normal.

You need to make sure he is getting a minimum of 12hours sleep, feed him more seed than veggies (still some fruit and veggies though) and give him more baths/showers. If your wife puts a new toy or re-arranges the cage it will help too. The bird wont feel so secure and may seek your wife for comfort. It should knock him out of the breeding season in a week or so.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Also - my guy does his mating dance all year round. He dances to his reflection (we dont have any other birds) and to everyone in the house when they enter the room or if we make certain noises - mostly clicking our tongue lol
doremon

Post by doremon »

Hi everyone:

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'll definitely try out some or all of the tips and ideas. He's seems to be getting a bit better the last few days. We'll also look at getting him a new toy as well as he might be bored with what he has.

Thanks.