What is a normal cost for an IRN

Moderator: Mods

jen5239
Community Greeter

What is a normal cost for an IRN

Post by jen5239 »

Hey everybody. Just curious since I've not gotten my IRN yet what kind of cost is normal. I've seen prices anywhere from $175 to close to $650 (that was in a pet store. which i would not even consider buying a bird from this place, felt so sorry for them actually.) I know price ranges probably vary from state to state. But I was just curious if anyone could let me know what would be way too much to pay. Thanks for all of your help! Jen :D
Dani03

hmm costs

Post by Dani03 »

Costs are a very hard thing to predict. Around here in Southern California the greens go for 175 all the way up to albinos that are over 750. It reallly depends. The cheapest bird you can get is a green (BTW not that I personally feel like they are cheap) but that is because they are a 'common' variety. Then again I have seen way many more lutinos than the greens so which is more common? I personally own an albino that cost me 250 (the breeder is one of my best friends and I helped raise the spoiled bird)

You are very right about NOT purchasing those IRNs in petstores. I don't think any petstore should be selling anything bigger than a cockatiel. It is sad when I see a sun conure or even an IRN sitting waiting for some rube to walk in and buy the bird for a whim purchase. On average those are the birds that suffer. It is better not to purchase them and maybe even take it up to the manager about not selling them. Better left to a breeder or even better adopt a bird! There are so many homeless birds out there that need homes.

Anyway the prices are so vaired around here...I'd say the cheapest are breeders and the most expensive are the petstores.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Hey Dani, Thanks for the reply. I've come across an aviary in Ohio selling them for $350. They have a Cinnamon, Grey, and Blue. I read in "Birds USA" mag that you should be able to get them for $200 or under. So I didn't know if this was a general price and maybe this aviary was expensive. Or if it was because of the colors. And my husband was just out here and he said in a very sarcastic voice, "And my husband is absolutely loving the idea of getting a new bird." and walked away. But he's already given me the go to get one. So I'm goin'!! :D I can't seem to find many aviaries anywhere near me that have IRN! Which makes me very sad. I so want one! Your bird is beautiful. What kind of temperament does he/she have? A few people have been saying they are not friendly birds. That concerns me too. Cuz I've read with enough daily attention they are friendly. So.. Anyway, I'll let you go. Thanks for the response! Take care. Hope to hear from you soon. Jen
Lynne Watts

cost of IRN

Post by Lynne Watts »

I think $350 is fair for a gray, cinnamon or blue. You can probably get them a bit cheaper, but it's hard to find them and that usually means shipping, so if you can find one locally for that, it's a good price.
Dani03

Hey Jen

Post by Dani03 »

Hi, my Prinny's tempermant is just so sweet. She has never bitten me just because and has only ever contacted with skin hard once and that was an accident. Though you have to watch out because some are bitters and would sooner try to rip your finger off. I am hoping you don't get one of those! Go with a breeder who not only hand feeds but also hand raises. BIG BIG BIG difference. There are those out there so have handfed babies but they haven't been socialized so they are just as bad as parent fed ones. A breeder who hand raises them socializes them and gets them to intereact with everyday occurances so they are laid back and sweet. However it all comes down to your birds temperment. You may strike lucky...;o) hope this helps and if you have any other ?s ask away
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Depending on color, you can get them from 150 for a green for example or 1500 for a purple one. It varies depending on location, breeder, color, ect. Not much of an answer but that is how it is.

In the US you should be able to get one anywhere under 200.00, assuming it is a common color and not purple for example.
Lynne Watts

ringneck prices

Post by Lynne Watts »

Ooh, purple. I would pay $1,500 for a purple bird, but would have to save. hee hee Do you know of any pictures online of the purple ones?

Dani, is that white IRN yours? Very pretty
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I do have pictures, however, I do not know these people or recommend them. I am just into color mutations. They are something, huh?

http://www.rare-ringnecks.com

Here is the purple one, in case you can't find it.

http://www.rare-ringnecks.com/photos/image0025.html
ScarletKnight

pricing

Post by ScarletKnight »

you have to look for bird. I paid 180 for 3 that abotu 60 bucks a pop. one flew the coupe he opend a lock i dunno how i have guard dog so i know no1 entered my hosue my other one kairi was abusive to tiger my aunt irn now. i seen a albino in ct for 200 and i seen a purple liek mikela was talking about for 900. It used to be true that green were more "common" than any other color however yellows are more common now i wanted a green one because that my fav color plus it more natural color or irn well green is not comple green becasue they two blue tail feathers. any how look around if you from new jersey neck of the woods or Pa i can help you get one. BUt these birds are liek a 2 yr old you have to keep an eye on them. mine need to be supervised when ever he is outside in cage and he is learning to pick locks ( is this normal?) anyhow there website where they give pricing info i can look for it again if you want. Great birds thought i would never buy any other kinda bird again. Any help i can give u will be my pleasure. But 1 piece of advice i give you is never buy from petstore and the breeder should let you look at the aviary because to often these birds are mass produced and jsut lieka puppy mill you want to check if the birds are in great shape.
scarlet
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Hey Scarlet:

Picking locks? Smart bird. Most have the mentality of a two year old and some are as intelligent as five year olds. Sounds like she watched you and mimmiced until she pulled it off. Although this is unsafe and probably gets to you, you gotta admit... she is a smart bird lol

I use those clips like men carry their keys on to affix the cage doors. Noooo way she can ever press that together, I barely can. If you want to try this, let me know and I will post a pic of the clip I am talking about.
ScarletKnight

clip

Post by ScarletKnight »

yes please i used a luggage lock and i found it open something gotta give. my mom won't let me clip the bird so i need a way to make sure they don't get off
Melika

Post by Melika »

I found that the bird always seems to be the cheap part (unless you're getting a rare mutation). Then comes cage, playgym, toys, food, etc. Building your own playgym can help, like Mikaela has. My cage cost two hundred dollars. My bird happened to be free, but around here from a breeder would cost 100-150 dollars. His toys all together and perches cost somewhere near $100. His playgym was $80 (bought it). And his food is an ongoing cost. Hand-feeding formula was more expensive than I remembered too. :shock:

Why do healthy foods cost more than junk foods? This has always bothered me. :x
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I second that, the bird will cost you least of all. The cage will probably be much more, assuming it is big enough for an Irn.

I wish I could say the condo I made was cheap but by the time materials were bought, it was well over 200.00. I couldnt find anything like it on the market though so it didnt matter. Everyone wants me to make them one just like it but there is no way I could do that and charge under 350.00 so I don't. That would just be for materials and shipping. My time would be free and with four teenagers, time isnt cheap.

Birds are NOT inexpensive pets by any stretch of the imagination. The initial cost... bird, cage, toys, food, ect. will run you *around* a grand to get started. *If* the bird is housed correctly and not stuck in one of those little cages that hang (god forbid). One could come out a little cheaper but not by much and probably at the expense of the birds happiness. I would worry most about the cost of the cage. Then the bird. In this case, you sort of do put the carriage before the horse.

Bird 200.00
Cage 300-500.00 or it simply isnt big/good enough for an Irn. This is one area you DO NOT want to skemp on... it will make your life alot harder.
Toys/Play gym for free time 150.00
Food: 50.00

And this is just for starters, what s/he needs when you bring s/he home. This is also a conservative estimate. I would look/price the cage I want, then do the same for the bird. You can pick up a toy or two and get more each week if thats what it takes.

I dont want to discourage you but I want you to know what you are getting into. I dropped 2 grand on my bird without even realizing it, literally. Very easy to do. But, if you allow yourself a grand you can give your baby the best cage, food and toys money can buy which means they are safer (toys) and heathier (food). Of course one could come out cheaper but please not at the birds expense.

You dont want to pick up a 2x2 cage for 15.00 at a flea market and then throw a few apples and seeds in there and call it a day. Can't do that with big birds. Hope you understand where I am coming from. After the inital investment though, you just have to feed and buy new toys. Very cheap. Getting started is :shock: to say the least.
ScarletKnight

don't scare the guy

Post by ScarletKnight »

its alright man don't let it scare you. you can get a nice cage for like 150 at bird stores. intially and when u geta lil more money you can buy a bigger one. but about toys and junk it is true im pretty handy so im alwasy making crap. i ahve so many play gyms and stuff for kairi i can't wait till i feel comfotable to have him out of cage and not scare him to death. But don't let them scare you. walmart in secacus new jersey has a nice cage for 80 bucks it nice and tall and okey. of course bigger is better . i got luck i got a arfican gray cage from a lady whose daughter i taught to drive but its okey for kairi now but im thinking of getting or buildign a cage that takes up a whole side of the wall or atleast a macaw size. smalelr cages are okey if you plan on handling ure bird alot. Now before mikeala goes nuts on me by small i mean conure size or lil bigger not parakeet size okey let me know these birds are majestic but you can go aroudn the whole cage issue it you gonan give it alot of time outside the cage.
scarlet
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

haha "go off" that isnt my nature however, it is always a good idea NOT to mistake kindness for weakness. :wink:

Also, I have looked at that cage at Walmart and unfortunately the bar spacing is much too big (an inch or more). So please, make sure the bar spacing is more like .5 an inch. Anything over that could be disasterous. Bar spacing is AS important as actual cage size. Maybe even more so.
ScarletKnight

walamrt cage

Post by ScarletKnight »

the cage i looked at was about 3/ 4 inch i think irn will be safe in there. 1 inch and more and you got problems imo. i fact i got a square cage for my aunt with the top being like a s shape and opens up for tiger he seems to like that better then black monster <-- his words not mine. so it depends on irn to but i think bar spackign and liek 150 bucks and u be fine im sure of it. i don't get into toys because kairi only likes hsi mirrors and bells everythign else he hates so i give a tons of those.
scarlet
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Cages need to accomodate those beautiful loooong tails, bare minimum would be: 2 foot x 2 foot x 3 foot tall. The cage I bought for Datsun is these dimensions and cost me $238.95 NZD but I had no idea about birds or IRN so I went on the advice of a good friend. I do plan to upgrade as soon as we can afford it but as Dats is hardly in her cage it can wait a whie longer.

If I had known I would have preferred to go bigger from the start but at a push she could stay in this size perminantly.

Bar spacing is a BIG issue. Datsuns is .5 of an inch and I wouldnt go any bigger, its a good size so she cant get her head out or stuck and she can cimb around easily on the walls.
-Chamon-

indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

I'm from Australia, and here's a list from the price ranges where I am.

Green---$60-$180
Lutino$100-$200
Blue---$200-$300
Albino---$300-$400

It also depends on where you are.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Wow, alot cheaper than in the US and I even live in Florida where they are very easy to obtain. This is not an easly question. It has tons to do with demographics I am realizing.
~ Mikaela Sky