Territorial!

Moderator: Mods

Mjay

Territorial!

Post by Mjay »

Hi Guys,
I was just wondering if either sex is more territorial than the other?
I have a male who doesn't seem to be worried, but my unsexed grey will go out of it's way if Indy (male) is on it's cage, and Asha (grey,unsexed) will go into Indy's cage aswell and lunge at him if he goes in there! not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that i raised Indy from 4 weeks old and i got Asha after he had been out of the nest for 4 weeks (aviary,Parent raised)
Any ideas would be great
Thanks. :)
MJAY
TD

Post by TD »

In my experiences, definitely the females, they have always been more aggressive and territorial.

Very similar to humans.... did I say that?? Whoops.... :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

TD wrote:In my experiences, definitely the females, they have always been more aggressive and territorial.

Very similar to humans.... did I say that?? Whoops.... :lol:

Sorry....did you say something TD????????
:lol: :P

I have not noticed a great deal of difference in territorial with my birds handraised or aviary bred, but alot of people have shied away from the girls as they are meant to be more agressive etc. If that is the case then I think all my birds must be girls lol
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

i with you Pink my too must also both be gals if that is the case-lol

Siren will go about deliberatly baiting the dog to come closer so she can try take a swipe out of her ear -lol She drops food working out the dog will come investigate then down her play gym she climbs and has a go- lucky the dog has also worked this out and keeps an ear out for her and dodges each time-lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol that would be funny to see......should get a video of it lol
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey is quite territorial, but is this because he is an only bird? LOL
I am aloud to touch his toys and cage sometimes, but if anyone else does there is hell to play. He will literally yell at the top of his voice and call out "WHAT YOU DOING" Even if he it not playing with his toys, if you dare to touch one - watch out. He has a shoe box lid by his cage with his "out of cage" toys and trinkets in it - plus things he decides he is going to take ownership of :lol: :lol: . If you dare to tidy his toy box or touch the belongings in it, he goes psycho. If he is out of the cage and he sees you touching his toy box he will come over to you (yelling furiously) and proceed to take the toys inside his cage. It is really funny to watch actually. Sometimes I have to admit we do it just to watch him take his stuff :oops:
TD

Post by TD »

Yes Pinkdevil I did, and when my wife saw it she gave me a swift clip behind the ear. :oops:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

TD wrote:

Yes Pinkdevil I did, and when my wife saw it she gave me a swift clip behind the ear. :oops:

Ha haha....that will teach you TD :lol:

Good one Mrs TD! :D
Mjay

Thanks

Post by Mjay »

Thanks heaps for the replies,
i am leaning towards Asha being female, but who knows, he/she is only 3 months old so unless i get a DNA test i will have a long wait, ahh stuff it, i will take Asha next week and will keep you all updated! but the 2-3 week wait is a pain!
P.S- you guys are funny, or should i say your birds, ha ha
MJAY
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Is it ever! I'm still waiting....my bird's DNA was sent over to South Africa.
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

Chocobo, how long have you been waiting so far? i live in Syd and i think mine got sent to Melbourne.
MJAY
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Since 31st of December. I'm expecting any day now!

(And like yours mine is also territorial-read- bites the cr*p out of my partner! ) :evil:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Maybe the DNA was closed over the Christmas/New Year period as I send mine to Canberra who forwards it on to South Africa.
As long as Canberra has it by Fridays post, i usually have the results by the following Wednesday at the latest.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

^^Yeah, that's what we're thinking- that and they may have a backlog of customers to get through first.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh well, it keeps the surprise going that little bit longer...lol