Wing clipping

Moderator: Mods

Dolphinheart

Wing clipping

Post by Dolphinheart »

We were talking to a guy at one of the local pet places that used to breed birdies of all sorts (he had a nice range of rainbows he had in the store) - any case he said never clip your own birds wings as they do not forgive you and theirfor other behaviours will come into play such as biting ect.

does anyone have an opinion on this view please?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I used to clip my Galah before we put her in the aviary and she never showed us any problems.

I guess it would depend on how traumatic the experience is for the bird.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

that is what i thought to Pink but figured it might be an intersting subject to get a discussion on -lol obviously not -lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol, maybe everyone is still recovering from the Festive Season lol
clear

Post by clear »

i have cliped my babies wings and i have no trouble with them they still love me ( i think)
we try
Bella

Post by Bella »

IMO i diagree with wing clipping unless it is the very last resort for safety reasons. But i would be terrified of clipping any of my birds wing just incase i did permanant damage :shock:
I have a friend with a grey whos wings were permanantly damaged as a result of bad wing clipping and he will never fly again and just walks around the floor saying "woof woof" :cry:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

Having little kids running around the house etc for safety reasons all my birds (who are handled) wings are clipped (besides one) purely because i could never forgive myself if while out my birds got a scare & flew into something & broke their neck! (have seen it happen).
I think provided the bird is use to having his wings stretched out & played with from a young age clipping their wings should be traumatic? My birds enjoy letting me clip their wings coz i rub under their wing while i do so.. they all sit happily while i do it & don't protest in the least..
In saying that if i got an older bird who hadn't ever been handled i would not clip their wings as they'd be use to flying & would not be use to having some pull out their wing..
julie

Post by julie »

Indie will not going anywhere near the person who is holding the scissors pretty muchly until you win him back. If that person walks past his cage he will lunge and try to bite, he will also not talk while that person is in the room.
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

Eeek :shock:
I wouldn't clip if my birds did that
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

In a book i own, it says you should always towel your birds when you clip the wings. It takes two people to do it aswell. I'm normally the person with the scissors, because i can't keep my fid in the actual towel. The book says that a towel is essential (not only for making sure you keep all fingers), but because the bird blames and hates the towel for having his wings clipped, and not you. I've clipped my birds wings two times, and he gets over it instantly. He even comes to me for comfort.

I watched an Avian Vet do the clip first. I didn't just run in with a pair of scissors and start chopping away.

I think clipping a birds wings is essential some times. It is nice for them to have full flight excercise, but we found our bird battled us for dominance and territory when he was fully flighted. Its also the ONLY way we can train him. He would never have learnt to step up without it