Why Does He Do This?

Moderator: Mods

Lauren16

Why Does He Do This?

Post by Lauren16 »

My weero who i've had 4-5 years is the most friendliest bird ever (to me).. he has never bitten me, loves to cuddle & have smooches & pines when i go outa his site.. when i put him in his cage he runs to the corner i'm nearest & screeches to come out (normally i feel sorry for him so he gets to come out again LOL)..
Anyway he's very agressive towards anyone who walks past me or gets close to me. He'll bite etc & a few times have actually flown at their faces & attacked.. It's mainly to my stepdad & brother.
If i give him to someone he'll sit with them, but he does it very grumpily & wants to come back to me the whole time.. Besides me the only person he likes to have cuddles with (if i'm sitting with them) is my little sister.
Why does he do this? Obviously my stepdad & brother hate him & my brother will be stupid & hiss back at him (this is normally when Splodge cracks the s***s & flys at his face (poor bird i don't blame him))..
Though i must admit.. whenever he's bit someone i've quickly gave him a cuddle to calm him down & shooed whoever he bit away. :oops:
Last edited by Lauren16 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inept

Post by inept »

It's not unusual for birds to become possessive of their favorite people, especially people of the opposite sex. He loves you and he doesn't want to share you with other people. You need to socialize him with patient members of the opposite sex who will not reinforce his feelings but will change them. You also need to stop rewarding him with what he wants when he behaves badly. Instead, reward good behavior.

There used to be a female double yellow amazon at my local pet store who was just wonderful with males but an absolute monster around females. She was un-sellable but the staff worked with her for nearly a year before she became quite a lovely bird in general.
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

He's to cute to punnish ;)
Not sure how i should get him use to males as my both my stepdad & my brother hate him & would tease him :(
I guess i'll have to con my pop or uncle into being nice to him
A year :S.. ok might take some patience.. haha

Just noticed my lovely grammar in the title.. Lmao.. it's meant to be, Why Does He Do This? :oops:
inept

Post by inept »

When I say that you should stop rewarding bad behavior, I do not mean to suggest that you should instead punish it. I literally mean exactly what I said and nothing else. Do not reward bad behavior. Doing so reinforces the bad behavior and will make the bird increasingly more difficult to deal with. Instead, reward good behavior. Punishment in the sense that it applies to humans doesn't really work with parrots. You could make a habit of immediately putting your bird away for a time out if it's being bad and completely ignoring it during this time out, but that's about it.
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

Yeah i'd never hit him.. with my other birds if their naughty they go to their cage & have timeout.
julie

Post by julie »

Guard birdy. Mine favor whoever feeds them and the person who sneaks them treats the most. For a while indie would lunge at Tiffany every time she would come near me or even just be in the same room and then Tiffany started eating things that he was interested in and she started feeding him too. Now when tiff walks past indie hitches a ride and is often found in her room watching a movie.