Odd Behaviour

Moderator: Mods

heedcase

Odd Behaviour

Post by heedcase »

Monty my Alexandrine has had his wing clipped at one side last year and is due to get it done again very soon.e to get them done again.

He gets on top of his cage and grips it tightly and flaps his wings furiously....

Could you tell me why he is doing this ?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

First of all.. Please clip both wings, clipping only the one puts them off balance. Incorrect wing clips can cause injuries. Just letting you know. :)

Monty is getting some exersise or giving the wings a little power up, clipped birds dont get enough exersise and this is just how they do. :)
Normally my birds go for a morning fly around the house until they get puffed out, as their daily exersise but I recently clipped both their wings for the first time in years and this is what they did instead of the morning fly about. They sat on their perch and flapped like crazy. :D Now the wings have grown back. Yay. :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Janet

Off behaviour

Post by Janet »

Hi,

My two birds (Bird and Floss) have just started flying after their clipped feathers grew back but they still like to flap their wings madly when they are in their cage. They also like to hang upside down. I have read that wing flapping is a sign of a happy bird when caged budgerigars do it so I am assuming the same for my IRNs.

Regards,
Janet
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

yes, it is just exercise. My fid attaches himself to the front of the cage and flaps like crazy. If hes outside, hell attach himself to his perch and flap. And i agree, clip both wings. My vet only clipped one wing on my fid and he couldnt land and he would hit walls and the t.v etc.
inept

Post by inept »

I believe the purpose of this behavior is actually to blow dust and down feathers all over the place, sort of like, "WHEEEEEE!"

I'm absolutely astonished by how powerful the wings on a little bird like a Ringneck are so I can imagine what it's like when an Alex goes all flappy. Must be like a wind storm!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

lol yea, blowing dust all over the place. Spit always positions himself towards the bottom of the cage, so ofc all the feathers, seed husk and dust in the tray goes everywhere ><
M0KAS

Post by M0KAS »

I know the feeling well with the flapping bird on top of the cage, mines the same, he sits there flapping like a good one, but if say let go hes off 3 of 4 long lengths up and down then a few low level over the head flybys then back to the top of the cage and it starts all over again. I get tired watching but after 10 mins or so he finds his spot on the curtain pole and sits there shouting i want peanuts.

Hell was full. so I came back.....

If you have MSN add me.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

How long does it take for a IRN wing to fully grow in after a harmless clip.