Some one help me please!!!!

Moderator: Mods

Rohley bird

Some one help me please!!!!

Post by Rohley bird »

OK,my nameis Chad Horsley and I am 17yrs of age.I have never owned a bird before but my girlfriend rasies and hand feeds,macaws,cockatoos,african grey,orange wings,amazons,and love birds.Her uncle happends to rasie all the same birds and he had a female indian ring neck that was givin to him about 3yrs ago he geusses.I have her now and I have had her for about 2 days.she is a sweet bird and all and she is eating drinking in front of me,but she wont let me take her out og the cage for some reason and when she does come out I have to open up the cage and let her come out on her own.And when she comes out she flys to my bed and walks around and bits my pillows and my bed,and she will come to my leg and then walk away and do it about 5 times,and then she will walk around me and climb my back a little bit and get down the do the same about 5 times,but for some reason she wont let me pick her up she bites the fire out of me.She will kinda prine my shirt if I am wearing one and she clucks when I throw a towle over her so I can pick her up but she only clucks when I pet around her neck,but when I take the towel off she will try to fly away but she does a nose dive to the ground since I have cliped her.If someone could please reply or call my cell phone whos has some knowlege about the irns please call me at 225-315-2611 I have alot of ?'s but when I ask my girl friend she just tells me she dont know how those birds act or work.SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE I AM GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!! :shock:
Chad Horsley
Tnc Racinh#79
Supr Modifeds,ASA asphalt late models
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Patience is the key!! :) Here's a short saying to keep in mind: The quickest way to an IRN's heart is through his stomach. -they're total pigs:D-

You only just got her. My IRN wasn't a very tame guy when I first got him. Now he's loving and affectionate. Your girl just needs some time to get used to her new surroundings and you. Have you tried offering her food through the bars?

Sunflower seeds are very unhealthy if used as a staple in their diet, but one little seed once in a great great while wont hurt her. Most birds LOVE them. They usually come in most seed mixes. Pick out the sunflower seeds and hand them to her through the bars. You're gonna have to sit there for a while. It wont happen immediately. I just grabbed a book and sat by Sky's cage with a sunflower seed and offered it to him. I started reading and I'm guessing about 20 minutes later, he finally got brave enough to take it. From then on, he got more and more used to me.

Since you have clipped her, that will help hugely. She can't get around as easily by herself anymore. When she comes out on her own and starts exploring, you could approach her slowly and just it by her and see what she does. When she starts letting you get really close, offer her a finger and say "step up". She wont know what that means at first, but she'll learn. Talk sweetly and calmly to her. It would be best to keep her in a quiet room away from anything loud. Offer her some treats while she's out, so she starts associating being out of her cage with you with her favorite foods. It took me about 2 weeks to have my bird stepping up on my finger on command and coming out of his cage for me from being a mostly wild 3 month old baby. Now I'm working on the very beginnings of recall (come here and come now when I say so) training. My IRN is roughly 8 months old now and is very sweet. IRNs are EXTREMELY smart birds. They learn fast.

Eating/drinking in front of you is a wonderful sign! She feels fairly comfortable around you.

Good luck!! Keep us updated. I'm sure we'd all love to see pics of your baby!
countrygal_cc

Hard work

Post by countrygal_cc »

I wish you the best of luck with your bird. Welcome to an irn's world.
Cupcake done the same thing one thing cupcake liked was shoes she would chew on a shoe for 6 hours all the time picking at my pants, feet, shirt couldn't get no peace she changed to a different bird I am sure this is their stage I couldn't deal with it I had to sale cupcake yesterday I bought cupcake in may I am hurting inside but these birds you have to have patience with and lots of it no matter what I can't deal with it. Cupcake would jump at my husband and cupcake was biting me.. Its a hard road. I sold cupcake to a family. I wish you the best of luck they leave a mark on your heart one of a kind birds... Cupcake would pick up a card too I would lay down cards and the card I told cupcake to pick up she would... I loved her. it's going to be hard on you if you can't deal. I wish you the best. if your bird bites blow on beak
Park outside where the air is cool...
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

Sorry Chad can not help but as already stated here the one thing i have read and heard over and over is patience patience and more patience when dealing with parrots .
I have found with my gal slow movements makes her less flighty and willing for me to get close - it has been only a few months with her and it make s a huge differnce...she also gets very stroppy if she does not get her morningn and afternoon attention time (as do the other bird,dog and cats -lol).

keep at it and best of luck
bec

Post by bec »

alot of female irns are very territorial about their cage
with the way she comes out try siiting on your bed with some fruit or veggies ( i used brocoli for anytime im teaching new stuff)
and just hold the food in your hand let her see that hands can do nice stuff too not just grab at you
let us know how you getting on with her