Running to the shoulder

Moderator: Mods

CrazyC

Running to the shoulder

Post by CrazyC »

Hey folks. Less then a week ago a bought a male indian Ringneck, Milhouse. He came from a breeder and was hand fed and raised. He has adjusted well in less than a week, having no problem coming out of his cage to climb around or any difficulty stepping up. He's also starting to get a bit vocal! :P However, there's a behaviour issue I want to address now to stop as soon as can.

I've read on here and on other places about how it's not always good to let the bird be on your shoulder. I've started to notice that, as the last few times he's been on my shoulder, he would then chomp on my finger when I tried to get him off. When I say chomp, I don't mean a playful nip, but more of a deliberate, hard bite to draw blood. The first time I was not ready, but the second time I told him 'No biting' and pushed in to the bite a bit, and he then flapped a bit and got on my finger, and I put him in his cage.

I don't want this to be a normal thing, but he always tries to run to my shoulder after stepping up. I have managed to get him off by holding some food to distract him and then getting him up easily, but I don't want him to get used to it. I'd rather he be near me on a perch or playstand when I am somewhere else in the room away from his cage.

Any suggestions? The sooner I can stop him from doing this, the better in my eyes! :P Thanks for any help you can give, and sorry for the long post.

Oh, and here's a picture of him!

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/071008/ ... C00202.JPG
aw64

Post by aw64 »

Think its a problem lots of us are having, mine loves my head and hates my hand trying to remove him/her from there, from replyes iv had its time and patiences, see my post biting, think we need a support topic for injured owners lol, keep going and good luck
Benson-Dog
Marine Reef Tank
Mr And Mrs Jingles + 9 Baby Hamsters
Birdy-Budgie
Tilly-RingNeck Parakeet
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

yes previous owners of Siren allowed her/him to be on their shoulders and head but never did any hand work i found out so i am haivng to start from scratch - it is patience i gather from what i have read here so keep at it :)
CrazyC

Post by CrazyC »

Hmm, so it seems that I just need to be consistent and try to keep him off of my shoulder. I've had luck with it in the last day or two, and he's only managed to get on a few times. Hopefully he learns soon not to climb up there! :P

Thanks for the help.
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

Whoops.. i must admit i let my weero sit on my shoulder :oops:
He'll sit their while i'm on the computer or reading etc;
Though he doesn't sit their on his own accord (i'll put him up their).. & he also will jump onto my finger soon as i ask.. He has never ever bitten me in the 4 years i've had him..
Is this ok? or should i put him on his playpen (which he'll sit on but he watches me & gets stressed out when i'm not close to him (i cave in & say ok (he knows what it means & the second i say it he flys over to me (nawww))
julie

Post by julie »

Lauren16 wrote:Whoops.. i must admit i let my weero sit on my shoulder :oops:
He'll sit their while i'm on the computer or reading etc;
Though he doesn't sit their on his own accord (i'll put him up their).. & he also will jump onto my finger soon as i ask.. He has never ever bitten me in the 4 years i've had him..
Is this ok? or should i put him on his playpen (which he'll sit on but he watches me & gets stressed out when i'm not close to him (i cave in & say ok (he knows what it means & the second i say it he flys over to me (nawww))

Sorry I missed this when it was first posted in Oct.
I think the main difference between the first posters and Lauren16 is the fact that the bird knows what is going to happen. It helps to practice saying step up ect when you are teaching them , that way they know what you are trying to do and don't just see a hand coming for them.
countrygal_cc

Biting

Post by countrygal_cc »

I read on here the biting is a bluffing stage. I couldn't deal with this I had to sale cupcake it's a lot of work. Cupcake changed to a totally different bird I made a mistake by letting cupcake on my shoulder she would bite my face and it hurt she was getting to where she would grab my arm and bite it and would jump at my husband I loved cupcake but I had to sale cupcake it's hard for me to deal with. I loved cupcake I kept all my pics. I bought cupcake back in may. I wish you the best of luck. I read on here when they bite you blow on their beak.
Park outside where the air is cool...
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

Thanks Julie for your reply.. i was thinking uh oh.. lol
He has very nice manners & would never dream of biting (well not me anyway hahaha)
Thankyou :)