racist bird

Moderator: Mods

leo

racist bird

Post by leo »

does bird can be recist?
yesterday i brought tango out to walk to the park...it is the 3rd times he has a walk with me(did not believe that tango cuteness attract alot of girls attnetion...ahahha)

then i reach the playground, there are alot of kids playing there...as i want tango to get used to other people and crowd, and seeing her so relex even the kids are running toward him, i told the kid that tango will shake hand with you...so they all take turn to shake hand with him...

strange enough, tango refused to shake hand with kids from a race(i think its good to not to mention the race)... he pulled his head back and just dont want to touch the persons and say arrrrrrrr..not even want to take the sunflower seed from them...
i lost word and said sorry and give exuse that he might got a little nervous...but other kid still play with tango and tango was happy showing the waving to the rest of the kids...

i ended up ofend the families...they stared and pulled along face at me...
how can this happen? how can bird got recist?
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Leo,
Well it sounds like you are enjoying Tango and he is enjoying his outings with you. After his experience being lost in the wild, does he act scared to go out? or does he act like he wants to go wild again? It is good if he or she is getting back to being your little companion and acting happier again. How is the feather chewing doing now?
As for Tango being racist. Mabey IRNs are racist with each other as far as color goes. I don't know if they choose there own color or accept other colors of there own species when given a choice. Mabey Tango thinks there is something wrong with humans if they are not your color or what she is used to. I have heard of parrots biteing women who wear nail polish. But when they take the nail polish off, the parrot don't bite there fingers. We had a German Shephard who would try to attack anyone in a police uniform. When the same person was in plain clothes, he was fine with them. It took special training and socialization with people in police uniforms to rehabilitate him.
leo

Post by leo »

i think he has stop working on his feather...i just think so, as i see her just peen the featehr without chewing it...i just think..actually i want to post it in the "its over" thread, but i think because of too many post there, my school com cant open it...

i think he is happier now, no more screaming, no more teritorial attack, and hopefully no more feather chewing...

1st day outside he freaked out, but i keep calming her down and talk to her...she refuse to come down from my shoulder...now, she is fine with it as when outside, i gave her alot of treat, she maybe thinking outside is treat time...she is much relex now...

when she see crow, she said arrr softly in my ear and tried to hide in the my collar...but i took him out and let her know she is protected...so far, everything is fine...i think the outing make a great diffrenace in her...

it is also chance for me to let her interest with other human being and outside environtent
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Fah

Post by Fah »

You will find your bird will not tolerate people too different to what he / she is normally exposed to in their safe environment.

My IRN is terrified of people with blond hair (i have only one friend with blond hair, and no family members / close friends with blond hair) so when he does see someone fitting that description.. he goes spastic.

I also dont wear hats... like ever.... and he is terrified of hats.

Regarding race im sure that fits into the same category. Its not a matter of "racist" its just a matter of not a known safe situation. To a bird im sure our skin colour / appearances set alot of opinions of what a safe human looks like... to us, who have been around other cultures (are also aware of the variety of people out there) its nothing.. but imagine the confined life of a bird who has probably never seen someone from a different racial background.

I would hardly take it personally...

There is also the honest fact that the bird could have seen just ONE movement / action from that kid they didnt like.. and trust me... once they get an opinion... its stuck in a strange environment for a while :P
leo

Post by leo »

yea...i think so...

i think their movement is a little wierd to tango...like they have certain move and gesture that are deiffrent from my race...

i will let tango interact more with all races, so that he can be more social bird....
Fah

Post by Fah »

hehe, i dont know any human race that "moves different" as a racial trait lol... but I do know tango might just not like the change in appearance :P

I have known birds to be carefree as they come.. and suddenly just dislike a person for gosh knows what :P

Simply getting your bird used to diff races I think wont solve much, just let your bird get used to change... thats the key... making it unaffraid of much in life... problem is, you can often have a bird too gusto and take on other pets / harmful situations (like attack fans... yikes, have seen that before) when they are too care free.

I would honestly give your bird a break... trying to get it used to new things is the last thing your bird may want just coming out of a feather plucking stage...

Once your bird has started plucking, its not as easy to give it up agian... its like hardcore smoking.. once that trait is there, its harder to get rid of time after time...
leo

Post by leo »

yup, every races move difrently...hmm, may be in asia, yup...in here, there is 3 major races, they have diffrent movement and style of living...

i think tango has stopped the feather chewing...the remaining feather is not destroyed...he jus suddenly stoop it...hopefully to be permanent...

o,maybe since i bring him out...

yea, you are right fah..i should get her used to changes and everything...
i really think walking outside is a good way...she can see alot of diffrent things...i constanly talk to her to calm her down...now i just talk when she look too nervous...she is getting used to utside world...i always bring her to the same place 1st,then before go home, intro her to the new place...
then the next day another new place....

recently he look much more happier and chatter alot more....