My lonely boy

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

My lonely boy

Post by Lauren »

:( Poor Jibby, I think hes confused and lonely about Lola in her box all the time. Since she started sitting on the eggs full time, all hes done is velcro'd himself to me.. he follows me everywhere like a lost puppy! When hes not doing this, he sits at the box and contact calls and taps on the box to get Lola to pop her head out. When she does (with a very grumpy face :evil:), he gets super excited and trys to coax her out, but of course, shes too 'busy' and not interested!
The last few days, hes been very grumpy.. he hates when I leave the room.. he growls and calls for me to come back.. now when I give him his plate of vegies/fruit, he get angry and 'attacks' the food, throws it all on the floor or at me and wont touch it. :? He still goes into the box and feeds Lola... I dont know how when hes not eating his vegies.
He's also delibratly doing naughty things like chewing on things he knows is bad to get my attention, (hes not normally a chewer of household things.. thats what Lola does!).
Hes been through such a big change lately with his 'girl' and the eggs. He just looks so lost! I dont think he can even remember when he spent the first 6 years of his life without Lola!
Hes had his bad days, but Ive never seen him like this, desperately wanting this much attention.
Do you think hes just a bit lonely and wanting attention? Missing playing games and flying around with his girl perhaps? When he flys its like he wants someone to follow him. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, purely pet birds and breeding with them is like grabing a stick of dynamite, and putting a 100yo fuse to it. You dont know when its going to go off... or IF it will go off at all.

Pet breeders that I have known in the past have generally had very mixed experiences. Some do well in breeding, but lose the truely pet nature about them.

Others have been known to be terrible parents, not warming the bubs enough, or feeding them irregularly... causing stunted / slowed / damaged growth due to wanting attention from owners, or having more fun doing other things than looking after the young. (distractions etc)

Others have just attacked babies as they dont know the parental thing and ended up killing their young each year.

Almost all never maintain the smooth sanity of either pure breeders or pure pets.

I wont do it myself, however I am always curious to see how they turn out. You just dont know till you try it for a season or three.

Keep us posted :D
nil

Post by nil »

how long is jibby with lola Lauren?
Is this their first time?
Jibby likes so much confused with this new for him situation.
Does jibby go into nest and feed lola?
I am curious what will he do when babies arrive
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I know I shouldnt be surpised that hes acting this way. I knew they'd (being tame and theyre first time) might not work out. I'm still expecting the worst. But hoping we dont get dead babies. :( If all else fails atleast they got some 'practise'.
Jibby is still feeding her.. well I'm not sure what else he would be doing in there with her (I hear kissy sounds and 'i love you':roll: ). If hes not pestering me for attention and its all quiet, hes usually in the box with Lola. He will spend atleast 15 minutes in there with her about 2 or 3 times a day. I just hope he's doing enough for her! When she comes out to stretch and poop, she makes a mad dash to the food, takes a beakfull and jumps back in the box as quick as lightning, usually stretching, eating and pooping all at once!:shock: Does this mean shes not getting enough from Jibby?
Today, I made a vegie 'mash' for him.. I mashed up pumpkin (+seed), brocolli, 2 boiled eggs (+shell), added some corn, then tropican granules.. mushed it all up till it was a puree with a few chunks for texture. Then stuck it in the freezer to keep. I gave him a spoonfull and he took to it quite well!! I saw him eat atleast a couple of beakfulls of it! :D
I just hope he gets over this attention seeking behaviour. Hes even been saying things he hasnt said in years! Like the microwave 'beep', a sound like a swing 'squeeking' in the wind, and 'tweet tweet tweet!'. :shock:
Thanx guys. This is all so new to me.
hmm I think this might need to go in to breeding section. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
nil

Post by nil »

If hes not pestering me for attention and its all quiet, hes usually in the box with Lola. He will spend atleast 15 minutes in there with her about 2 or 3 times a day. I just hope he's doing enough for her! When she comes out to stretch and poop, she makes a mad dash to the food, takes a beakfull and jumps back in the box as quick as lightning, usually stretching, eating and pooping all at once! Does this mean shes not getting enough from Jibby?

Male always feeds female but only a part of her daily needs, its ok
as i see jibby is enough good husband :)
he feeds lola and everything looks to me ok, except the little confusion of jibby.
How long is jibby with lola? iam interesting because i ll try to pair my lazaros, lola is tame?
i expect a happy end, and dont forget this is their first time
good luck