Cupcake is biting my ears what can I do?

Moderator: Mods

countrygal_cc

Cupcake is biting my ears what can I do?

Post by countrygal_cc »

Recently cupcake has been wanting to bite my ears. Friday evening I had cupcake out, cupcake was sitting on my shoulder and all of a sudden cupcake decided to bite the side of my cheek and it was a hold on bite for a second it hurt like heck. I told cupcake no and i put cupcake back in her cage then yesterday she was on my shoulder and decided she would bite my ear for a couple of a seconds and once she did bite my hair she was holding on it was like a pinch it hurt awful I put her back in her cage. Why do you think cupcake is doing this and what can I do? I sure don't want cupcake to bite my ears again. Any help will be good.
Park outside where the air is cool...
Fah

Post by Fah »

Hello, unfortunately, birds perching on shoulders is not generally a good idea. No matter how nice your bird is, a bird placed on perches higher than the shoulder level or at it, will put itself as the "boss" and put you in your spot when needed.

To correct this behaviour two steps need to be taken I would say.

1) address the biting first, the moment the bird does a bite, (hand, anything at all) calmly place the bird on a boring perch (if your bird is flighted, will have to put it in lockup in its cage) for a matter of 15-30 seconds then take the bird back, rinse and repeat...

if that works, great, if not...

2) address the perch height problem and disallow the bird to sit on the shoulder.... an IRN bit to the face can cause serious and permament damage... your lucky its just been "nips" so far... a true bite will punch through the soft cheek flesh.

There are some great texts out there on parrot training, and they all address this as one of the first problems to look at. If i can find some decent links (or anyone else could) I will post them here.
leo

Post by leo »

how old is he
?
may be bluffing...
you have to deal with it properly...deciplining is very important too
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
bastard_x5

Post by bastard_x5 »

i just got the book

guide to a well behaved parrot

and another parrot behaviour book that tells s step by step on what to do, im not sure if its legal for me to repost what the books says (copy right and all)

pretty much what fah said

shoulders is a bad idea if u have a dominant aggressive bird

the evil eye technique works wonders

ill post a more detailed response of what the book says ( or a more sumarized version on what to do tomorrow) its a bit late right now and i just saw ur post but pretty much what fah said is right on the money
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

i learned the hard way not to let our IRN sit on my shoulder or get in my hair. ours bit me right on my still healing industrial piercing in my ear, not just a nibble a CHOMP. hurt like hell. i normally do not let her get even close to my face because i have issues about things being around my eyes and face but now i for sure won't let her even come close.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

wow did not realise this woudl be a problem jsut figured it was natural for them to get as high as possible - i am in trouble then casue my IRN (who i have had for only one month) will sit on my shoulder but not my hand.
Will see if i can sourse that book is bastard_x5 would give me an author please as i woiuld like my little Siren to be able to sit on my hand but she wont :(.

good luck countrygal with cupcake :
leo

Post by leo »

i think it best if your bird trained to sit on your shoulder but willing to go back to your hand whenever you want...i think sitting on the shoulder give him more confidence in you...

but you have to always let him know who is the leader...

just take note that never let the bird on the shoulder when he is bluffing or start to show that he is bluffing...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
bastard_x5

Post by bastard_x5 »

Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot (Barron's)

and

Guide to Companion Parrot Behavior

both written by the same author i think everyone should own them but if your going to choose between the two get the first it has everything about parrot behaviour and i mean everything from what to do and what not to do, comon problems, second hand parrots, confidance building games aggression and what not...even traing them how to talk its literally the parrot bible, and ive beed recommend to get it in several bird fourms

Mattie Sue Athan is the author
KellieH

Post by KellieH »

I know its a late reply, but anyway...

I also know that to have them on your shoulder is not the best but, my Fonz does this nibble thing also. She nibbles my ears, the tiny mole on my neck etc etc etc...... I thnk she has worked out that when she does this her 'scratching tool' (aka MY HAND) comes to her!! Smart little thing!!

Maybe yours is doing this too!!