Decision made on wing clipping...

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Decision made on wing clipping...

Post by SkyBaby »

I'm going to let Sky's wings grow out, but I am going to start working on recall right away. Or should I hold off training him recall until he's fully flighted? I wont intentionally take him out without a harness, but if he escapes, at least he'll know recall and I can get him back easier. Lots of patience, I know. Training him to fly down to me from a tree or something will be hard, so advice is needed.

I don't think Sky was allowed to fledge before they clipped him. When he tries to fly right now, he sinks. It's like he doesn't understand he can go forward. His wings flap up and down, not the circular movement that gives birds forward flight.

I'm getting one of those aviator harnesses in a few days. I'm also getting another baby ringneck in a couple months. (YAY) I'm going to allow this new guy to be fully flighted, too, as well as training recall. I'm going to get this guy an aviator also. My plan is that if I can't get Sky to like his aviator, and if the baby does, I could use the new baby to show Sky that the harness is a good thing. I've heard parrots learn well from watching others, being that they are flock oriented and all. I'm getting a clicker in a little bit, to aid in general training.

What are your opinions? Am I being too ambitious? I've read of the discussions of clipping vs flighted, so I hope I made the right decision, here.

Anyone know of good recall training sites out there?

My husband thinks it's a bad idea, but I'm trying to do the best for Sky. He's just worried about Sky flying out an open door. I want Sky to be able to do something all birds were meant to do that's all. Wish me luck on convincing him. :D

Sorry for the long post. :D Thanks for reading!
nil

Post by nil »

i dont prefer also wing clipping.
they love to fly and i think its a natural thing for the birds, like walking for us.
Lazaros flies 1 hour a day into rooms inside house. I am afraid to test it outside house and i dont know how safe are the aviators. While inside he obeys at my recalls i dont trust him outside, maybe a voice or something fear him and panic him.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

nil wrote:i dont prefer also wing clipping.
they love to fly and i think its a natural thing for the birds, like walking for us.
Lazaros flies 1 hour a day into rooms inside house. I am afraid to test it outside house and i dont know how safe are the aviators. While inside he obeys at my recalls i dont trust him outside, maybe a voice or something fear him and panic him.

I take Sky outside lots. He's used to being outside. When he's outside, the first thing he wants to do is start exploring. The only thing that scares the crap outta him is all the little kids trying to swarm him cuz they all wanna pet them. XD I'm gonna do his outside flight training in a local park during the school day in the middle of the week, so there wont be as many kids around. I've got all the training supplies. He's pretty good at staying put on a stand, too. All I gotta do now is wait for his flight feathers to grow in.