Introducing new birds.

Moderator: Mods

Photoguy77

Introducing new birds.

Post by Photoguy77 »

Now that Loki is 5 months old and used to me, Im considering getting another IRN. Loki has a HUGE cage that would more than fit 2 birds and then some. I wanna know from you guys whats your thoughts on bringing in another parrot to our existing relationship. ANd will it effect my relationship with Loki? He needs a friend during the day while Im at work, plus 1 bird is not enough...lol

Im looking forward to everyones responses on this topic.
nil

Post by nil »

i have the same dillema with you photoguy
my lazaros is 14 months old, i think he is male, very tame and has a strong relationship with me, but i am many hours a day outside of home so i decide to take a female for companion.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya, if you know he is a he, and you do not particularly want to breed them... i highly suggest another boy.

Two tame boys generally get along perfectly well once one finds the dominant perch / order of things. You will find they dont get broody (thanks to no hen around, and a hen with a boy will get broody during breeding season).

I have a friend with two boys in the house, and they are a pair of characters thats for sure...

Now... introductions are a fickle thing. First off, you will have to really focus on the training with the introduction of a new bird.. and you need to treat them equally in every regard, else problems do arise... like kids :P

One IRN will take to training more easily than two do at the same time...

As for relationship.. you will probably find your bird become more independant of you thats for sure... but with good attention, and treats when they are around you.. and not the cage... no love should be lost at all.

First introduction should be with another young boy, and in a seperate cage... so they cant touch each other first time around.... once you see they are not attacking the cages, and after 2 days of peace and happieness, i would introduce them into an area they can fly away from one another... an indoor cage, regardless of its size wont do. You might need to make the first introduction in a room.

If all goes well... great, but dont let them spend the first night (ie; the night of their first being up close and personal) together... seperate them for the night, and do the same thing as much as possible the next day.. preferably all day. Treats and nice food sooth even the most savage beast :P So give them plenty of this in the same spot... they quickly gain the pecking order and get along for the sake of food initially.

If all goes well.. and they get along... should have no problems from then on... but seriously keep a close eye and maintain ALOT of contact with both during this time.

Good luck and hope all goes well.