Our IRN is scared of hands

Moderator: Mods

Newcastle

Our IRN is scared of hands

Post by Newcastle »

Some of you may have seen our posts about Mojito. He's a really sweet bird but he unfortunately is just scared of hands or most likely fingers. When you approach with your hands he becomes nervous but as long as you are firm and come quickly with your hand to "step up", you're generally good to go. That being said, much of the time he is just nervous over the hand issue and wants to bite in response.

What is the best way to deal with this? Is it possible to build trust? He is about 3 years old and we've had him for about 2 months. He gets handled a lot as well and we leave his cage open 24/7.
2 Bird Family
Ki-Ki (Female White-face Tiel)
Nacho (baby male Lutino)
Mojito (male-green IRN) RIP
Bella

Post by Bella »

My advice would be give him plenty of treats out of your hand then he will learn that your hand brings good things and he can trust you. thats what i did with billy :D hope this helps
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

Hi,
Try have a look at this site.....I thought it was great.....Maybe you will get some great tips....take a look. :shock: Click on the other bird tricks on the right hand side to see more. :roll:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=DANMIbp8M ... re=related

All the very best of luck :P
sparrowsbonnylass13

Post by sparrowsbonnylass13 »

My baby IRN, Indy, has only been mine for about a month. He is about 8 months old and I obtained him by trading an unbroken pony for him. The deal was with a petshop owner from my town and she has about 6 others for sale.
I need advice about taming. He will step up but only outside of his cage. He makes the noises like he is practicing talking. It is so cute! I have a 6 yr old cockatiel female, Grace, in my bedroom with him and I try petting and cuddling her in front of him so maybe he realizes I`m not gonna eat him but it has not worked. I got grace when I was 6-7 and she was wild until I gained an interest in birds about a yr ago. They are agressive towards eachother.
:twisted:
Indy and Grace are my babies!!!
bec

Post by bec »

both kieron and general (my 2 blues) are scared of hands the best advice i can give is it will take time & patience
and of course lots of treats what we did with our little green one riku was watched what her favourite treats were then only feed her these from our handsthis worked really well
with general he was realy skittish when we first got him so we took to " ignoring" him alot and when he caught us looking at him i would talk to him if he was calm id move closer until he started showing the whoa your getting too close nervy look then i would stand at that point till he was comfortable & then id walk away after a while he would get closer & closer & now he will sit on the back of my chair (but only if he doesnt see me turning to look at him)
you will soon figure out what works with your bird too
sparrowsbonnylass13

Post by sparrowsbonnylass13 »

Indy will already step up but not inside his cage. He is going through the bluffing stage so that stinks. I can`t pet him but he will sit on my shoulder and occasionally "clean" my hair.
Indy and Grace are my babies!!!