When do IRN's start talking?

Moderator: Mods

janice

When do IRN's start talking?

Post by janice »

:D I am very thankful for your help on Pretty Girls chewing on me. I haven't been bitten since I stopped letting her on my shoulder. My question is about talking. When do IRN usually start talking if they are going to talk? Are there signs to look for or does it just happen? She makes a lot of different sounds when she is getting ready to go to sleep. She rings like our telephone. And she does it really good. She did the wolf whistle when we bought her. When I bought her at the yard sale in June they told me she was a year old. :?:
Janice
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Howdy Janice,

Welcome back!

I am happy to hear that you are nipping the biting problem. That can really be a pain! Get it..Pain :wink: ..ok enough with my lame jokes! :wink: :D

Ringnecks start to talk at around 7- 12 months of age. Some Ringneck will take 1 ½ years to even say one word. Some Ringnecks don’t even talk at all. Every Ringneck is different and every bird learns at his/her own pace.

To increase your chances of getting her to talk, try to make your vocabulary very colorful. Be really enthusiastic about your words. Say them in different tones. Make your voice high or nice and deep. Every time you enter a room say, "Hello." When you let your Ringneck out of the cage say something like, “Play time.” You get the idea.

The key here is repetition and making your vocabulary very colorful. I would stay away from those repetition tapes. Parrots are more responsive to the voices of the people they love, rather than a stranger’s voice.

Also, those weird mumblings you hear could very well be your Ringneck practicing. When your Ringneck says her first word, you’ll know but not know. For example, a Ringneck trying to say hello might muffle it or make it very hard to understand until she practices it more and more. So listen for two syllable sounds. That could be the start of hello. Also, parrots will get the word clearer as time progresses.

Best of luck with talking! Hope this helps and please keep us updated.

I.C.
janice

Thanks for help!!

Post by janice »

:D Wow! it's hard to believe that I was actually doing something right. I talk to Pretty Girl all the time. My husband said the other day "I wish you talked to me like that" :( HA! HA! poor baby. He really likes her to, but he doesn't believe she will ever talk. I still can't pet her with my hand. I rub my cheek down her back and kiss her wings when I'm holding her, but just bring up a finger and watch out. :evil: I hand feed baby Lovebirds and she come's down to see them so I put some of the formula on my finger and when she starts to bite my finger she gets the taste of the formula. This seems to be helping with the snapping, but is it ok to feed her the formula? I appreciate all the help, there are not to many resources out here is West Texas. Thanks!
Janice
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Janice,

Opps, sorry I must have missed this post!

Yes, you can feed her formula. My Ringneck will occasionally enjoy hand feeding formula while I am feeding baby lovebirds. It’s a great treat with extra vitamins and there is no harm in that!

About the petting. Just keep doing what you are doing and one day she’ll surprise you.

Good luck and take care!

I.C.
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Something that might encourage your IRN to start talking is to capture her natural vocal sounds. For example, Kiki makes this sound much like a 'hello' and when I heard it, I started reinforcing this by giving her a treat each time she says this, or saying "Good Girl!". After doing this for about 1 or 2 weeks, Kiki started getting the idea that making those sounds are complimented, and that I want her to do that. After about 3 to 4 weeks, Kiki got the idea that making the sound of 'hello' was what she's got to aim for. Now, Kiki is practicing every day. Her 'hello' isn't extremely clear yet, but each time she keeps practicing, it gets even clearer. Remember, try reinforcing ANY sound that just sounds a little bit like it could make a word. If you reinforce that, your IRN is likely to start talking in no time.

Hope this helps.