Neglect

Moderator: Mods

Amazonite

Neglect

Post by Amazonite »

Before you all jump on me for this topic please relise i am doing the best i can, with a busy life.

Right since i have had my baby, i am also doing a full time course and having to be a full time mum, i need a little advice with Amazon.

Since everything has changed in my life i have not been spending as much time as i use to with Amazon he was with me pretty much 24/7 and now he doesnt get as much as he use to, i feel real bad about this and need to know what are some signs that he might feel neglected apart from the obvisous the baby.

When we spend time together he preens me more, kisses me more and does the dance all the time when i pass his cage or pick him up, i dont totally ingore him depending on why i went into that area, if i go in for food i always give him some and give him a kiss, if going in for a bottle i go in and out.

Today we spent about 2 hours together while i was cleaning his cage and doing some housework.

Please help i dont want to have to give him away i want to keep my baby but most of all i want him happy still.

Thanks in advance
Sharlene
Sharlene and Amazon
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

Hi Sharlene!

I am probably not someone with the best advise on this topic.. i aslo find it very hard knowing that i cannot spend as much time as what i wouldve liked to with my Pi-ko! It is very difficult knowing that they are such little creatres that totally depend on us for everything and its one thing giving a pet food and water but when it comes to attention.. it becomes so difficult!! From your post i can gather that you and Amazon is extremely close and you feel terrible that you cant spend as much time with him as previous!

I also am going through changes in my lifestyle and changed jobs recently which now requires me to be away from home a bit more!! I CANT STAND THE THOUGHT OF Pi-Ko in his cage the whole day!! he doens like it and lives for his time outside!! When he can run around and mess!! lol

I think that you should give it some time and give Amazon also some time to adjust --- maybe-- however impossible it seems--- try and make a little time a day available for him-- half hour here half hour there maybe and when you do have time with him make it count!!!!

I feel for you and totally understand your mixed feelings!! YOU ONLY WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM AND I KNOW THAT THAT IS WHY YOU ARE MAYBE CONSIDERING RE-HOMING!!! shame man!!!

I think realy that you should give the two of you some time to adjust and get use to new boundaries and petting times!!
All the best Sharlene-- for you and little Amazon!!! Sounds like he loves you totally!!
Also good luck with all the multi-tasking-- sounds like you need it!!!
Greets
Aldeleen & Pi-ko!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i think behaviour problems will probably be a sign that hes feeling a bit neglected. like contact calls or general screaming all the time, and maybe nipping etc. im not an expert by no means, and im just going on how i think he'd react. We left Spit for 2 days with my boyfriends mum and when we came back his shoulders were a bit bare and he'd shredded the sheet we cover his cage in. that was 100% stress because he didnt see us at all for 2 and a half days and had a stranger taking care of him. id hate to think of the noise he made while we were gone :? As long as you spend SOME time with him im sure hell be fine

Spit does his little dance when we walk in to the room too. its his little way of saying hello and it makes me laugh :)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Thanks guys that makes me feel a bit better, i spend as much time as i can with him, he doesnt bite me or anything so i think we are still good:)
Sharlene and Amazon
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

chin up gurly!!!!!
you know as well as i do that amazon is used to change, and used to kids.
just takes him a little while to get his little head around the idea.

i remeber him throwing a right tanty when i bought toby home, and he started to display alot of the behavious you mentioned, but after a little time he got used to it.

he has had to share your/our time, with all the kids you bought home, and all the birds i bought home.
it hasn't even been a month yet.

why not trying making ami-time part of the babies routine? you put baby down for a nap then go straight to ami for 30 mins before you start anything else. get a clicker, although you might need to condition it again. and start on waves and fetch ect.
does he still have his cup???
Adam and Dude
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Gemstone wrote:chin up gurly!!!!!
you know as well as i do that amazon is used to change, and used to kids.
just takes him a little while to get his little head around the idea.

i remeber him throwing a right tanty when i bought toby home, and he started to display alot of the behavious you mentioned, but after a little time he got used to it.

he has had to share your/our time, with all the kids you bought home, and all the birds i bought home.
it hasn't even been a month yet.

why not trying making ami-time part of the babies routine? you put baby down for a nap then go straight to ami for 30 mins before you start anything else. get a clicker, although you might need to condition it again. and start on waves and fetch ect.
does he still have his cup???

Thanks hun yea this is trye he is getting better, has a shower this morning with me and baby and he was good he got a specail breakfast. no cup he destroyed it will have to get another
Sharlene and Amazon
julie

Post by julie »

don't worry about it too much. I was home everyday for 3 yrs with indie and then I went back to work, he adapted pretty well and it should get easier for you later too. Indie seems happy with us speaking to him on our way in and out ect and doesn't seem to mind not being touched all the time.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Our avian friends adapt to changes in their routines quite easily, when we let them.

I haven't had a consistent schedule with Hane since... ever. So, of course, he's accustomed to it all. But I know he's happy with small amounts of attention throughout the day, which is just what a flock mate would give. And he's never shown stress when my schedule changes again, he just rolls with the punches. Sounds like Amazon is too. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay