New Bird, advice appreciatted, thank you.

Moderator: Mods

xxsweetpeaxx

New Bird, advice appreciatted, thank you.

Post by xxsweetpeaxx »

Hi All,
I purchased a IRN from a pet shop last week, after lots of ringing round I found this one bird. Pet shop owner admitted to not knowing a great deal about the bird, but reckoned he was under a year.
Since reading this forum I am dissapointed to learn this is probably not true, as he has very clear rings around his neck, so from what I have read this means his is at least over 2. Is there any other way I can tell how old he actually might be more accurately.
With this in mind, what are my chances of taming our new pet to be enjoyable, teach him to talk and be friendly etc? He doesnt attempt to bite when putting my hand in the cage. but is clearly upset by this, he goes to the far end of the cage and flaps about a fair bit. He hasnt made much noise as yet, just the odd squark. I have let him out every day, but have to catch him in a bird net to take him back to the cage, the other observation is he gets really puffed out when flying about to evade the net! Is this normal? Is it stress? Or is it a sign of old age perhaps? I dont chase him wildy by the way, just a few paces around the room following him until he more or less allows himself to be caught.
Any thoughts on any of my questions would be greatly appreciated, as lovely as he is, our intention in having an IRN was to have a life long pet for our 9 yr old daughter as her b'day present. So if the 'experts' think we can with work acheive this, then we are willing to try. But I will be dissapointed if we have been duped as such by the pet shop, and are unable to achieve that special relationship with this particular bird, because he is too old.

Look forward to any replies

Thanks

Pea,xx
Fah

Post by Fah »

If the bird has a solid ring like you can see on male IRN's on the internet and sites like this, then your bird is deffinately two years old or over.

If the bird has been in aviaries and small pet shop enclosures like it seems to have been, the puffy tired nature is simple due to underworked fitness / flight ability... which is normal for most pet birds kept in smaller confines.

As much as there are people out there who can tell you "sure, its doable", what some often forget to tell you, is a bird 2yo or older, with no knowledge on his history, can take from several months of solid work, to much... much... longer and sometimes, unless your a professional or been dealing with birds in the past, not even achievable as one false action, or release of anger, can undo months of work.

Indian Ringnecks are, by nature, dominating birds if you let them, and for a young child, I would desperately reccomend you start with a young bird that has been recently hand reared, or an older bird that has been well hand tamed.

If you feel/know the bird was actually hand tame in the past, then by all means, let us know as it could just be very frightened of the new environment.

Bird nets are, by all means, going to destroy your relationship with the bird further. Let him settle into the environment from inside his cage and get to know who/what moves around etc without any interferance for a few days before you start to pass decisions.
xxsweetpeaxx

Post by xxsweetpeaxx »

Hi Fah,

Many Thanks for the reply.

I feel like I am stuck, one instinct is to take the bird back to the pet shop, because I feel we have been lied to. But this would make me feel terribly guilty for the sake of the bird and my daughter. Plus its not like I can replace him without her knowing as a younger bird would look different! Plus they are no IRN's for sale!

When we got the bird I bought her a book all about them so she could learn how to look after him and understand them, but she is desperate to know when we can start to train him as such, and when will he learn to talk etc, while I can fob her off for so long with the excuse he needs time to settle in..which is infact true, I am not sure if its wise for us all to fall in love with a bird that will never do what she hopes, while we are waiting for a reasonable amount of time to pass.

I just dont know what to do for the best! Am I being unreasonable to just want what we asked for? Which was a young IRN suitable for training for a 9 yr old, in a household with very little bird experience ( in the past I have had cockatiels & budgies) but have never needed to train to the extent that a parrot may need.

Thanks,

Pea,xx
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi Pea'. Firstly, a week is still not enough time to let him settle and get to know you. Give him a couple more weeks to settle, your just as new to him as he is to you. :wink:
As much as Id like to say dont give up too soon, it might be a good idea to let you know what your in for. Its going to take alot of hard work with no time limit of how long it will take to tame and train.. weeks, months.. in some cases years. If you've got the patience and the persistence by all means give him a go.
Untame and flighted IRNs can be very hard to handle, I might mention.. they can bite ...hard, much more than any cockatiel or budgie. My eldest has made me bleed a few times. But its usually my fault for not reading his 'body language' well or when hes hormonal during breeding season. I would be supervising your daughter with him at all times. If you can push through this by all means give him a go.
If your looking for a pet suitable for a child, a young hand raised baby (7 or 8 weeks old preferably) would be great. But give him a go first, who knows he might settle in well with you?
If your in for the long haul, getting his wings clipped can make a big difference. Id get this done asap. If your unsure of how to clip, get a vet to do it for you, a vet can even show you. Getting his wings clipped will make things much easier for you!
Trying to catch a flighted untrained bird is very difficult, if you need to resort to catching him in something, use a towel or blanket (towelling a bird can be calming for them, just be gentle).. something softer than a net, this will just stress him out more. You can try treats.. find something he really wants, and coax him to you. But it might take a few weeks for him to trust you enough to come to you. This is why letting him get to know you while hes in the cage is best. Just sit next to him and talk softly, offer him treats, let him become comfortable with you so its less stressful for him. Little steps!!! There is no time limit!!!
Dont put any expectations on him. Not all IRNs will learn to talk, no matter how much you try. My 2 year old IRN talks better than my 8 year old male who has never really been interested in my efforts to teach him to talk. I have 2 vastly different birds in personalities and abilities. I place no expectations on them though. They are all different. This goes for all birds!
Goodluck and let us know how you go. Id be interested to know how old he actually is, definately 2 years or older.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

If this pet store sold you a 2+ year old untame IRN as a pet for a 9 year old, they need a good kick in the head. Sorry !

Like everyone says, it will take alot of dedication and patience, and months before you gain trust but it can be done. Your 9 year old will have to be as diligent if you want the bird to be hers. But even when tame, and even if it were a hand raised baby from the start, an IRN will not be able to ever be left alone with a 9 year old , for the childs sake and the birds sake. They will always need to be monitored, as an IRN in a bad mood (which they all get) can give quite a nasty bite.

I don't want to bring you down or make you give up the bird, especially back to that stupid pet store that obviously had no idea what it was selling. But I just want to be totally honest with my opinion.

In your place, ..... I would take it on as my bird and get the child an easier bird as her own personal pet (hand raised cockatiel, quaker parrot etc.) . Then you can introduce the child and the IRN to each other in controlled situations as it becomes tamer.

Taming an older bird can be done, to a point of stepping up, giving kisses, taking treats and talking, and is still a wonderful bird to own but in all honesty I doubt that it will end up a very affectionate bird.

In relation to the being puffed out when you net the bird would simply be fear, and the energy taken to flight to try to get away. Flying actually takes alot of energy for a bird, which is why you will see them walk around alot, climb around alot and really only fly to escape or move quickly from place to place.

Anyway do you have any pics of the bird, what colour is your new fid ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

leo

Post by leo »

sweatpea, as everybody mentioned, all bird is diffrent
i'm also has no much expiriance, and only have 1 IRN for about almost a year...but i have tamed 5 (4young and a male 2 year old and above) wild IRN and 3 wild love bird, 1 wild cought hanging parrot, and 1 wild cought cocatoo. all take about the longest 2 months

but wild bird, parent feed and never been touch so far will be difficult to reach perfection like hand rised baby...
worse if we dont know the past, some teribly afraid of hand or glove, or net, or rope, or chain, or etc, if they have been hurt before. so, knowing what you bird afraid of is very important, for your case, he shoul be afraid of net by now...

this is what i did to all the wild birds...(hope work for you)

know the bird favourite food( most like sunflower seed some like millet spray)

trim the wing
get a T pearch, about chest level hight...
let the trimed bird stay there for afew hour or till he look calmeddown
slowly go near him and talk to him softly with your hand slowly, very slowly going nearer witht he sunflower seed or millet spray. if he take do it a few day...without trying to touchhim
if he doesnt take, put the food ont he pearch(he can see) and step back, try till he takes...
then slowly from there if you feel he is confortable enough, teach him to step up bu putting your hand in the midle of the treat and the bird, he will have to go to your hand in order to take the food...youmight need several attemp. dot jerk up when the bird nip u alittle, he is testing weather your hand is stable enough to pearch...
then after that everything will go faster if you are calm and patient...

note, no over head movement, or trying to grab the back...
no fast movement toward or near or behind him...

sorry for long post...
it is what i have done to all the birds...and for me,till now, all doing well...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

ok, i havn't read the replies to your situation. but here is my method that i delevoped and prooved with a 3-4your old male aviary bird that was given to an 8year old.

i tried guiding the family on passive training techniques, putting hand in the cage, not responding when biting ect. after months it wasn't working at all.
when i got a call saying the boy was crying his eyes out and blood coming from his had i knew i had to step in and be more aggressive in the training. suprisingly even tho the boy was in so much pain, he didn't move his hand, scream or anything. what a little trooper.

i recomend the passive ways for a few weeks

first step, put the cage on a stand or table so the bird can't get up to it.
step 2: get the wings clipped so it can't get any lift.
get the bird out of the cage, even if you have to chase it to a small degree.
one its out of the floor, get down on the floor with it and encourage it to get up. if it starts to really freak out just leave it be on the floor for about 5 mins, then try again. just keep trying, one thing i did was to put my hand/arm infront if it and move my hand behind it to get it up onto my arm.
once its on your arm put it back in the cage.
repeat again about 30-60 mins later.
pretty soon the bird should realise it can only get back to the cage with your help.

using this method i had Kawa having cuddles/showers/laying on his back and stepping up in a matter of days. he is now a very well adjusted parrot and definatly part of the family, not just the green thing in the cage.

hope this method works for you, i know some people on here won't agree with it, but i assure you i have used this method and it does work.
just remember to back off when the bird starts to over stress.

Edit: PS: don't put the cage back in his reach untill he is actually tame. caving in will only let it know how long it need to be a prick to get home.
if you absolutly must get it back in the cage, just pick it up, no matter what.
Adam and Dude
xxsweetpeaxx

Post by xxsweetpeaxx »

Thanks Everyone for some great advice.

I definately feel much better about it now, and think 'Charlie' deserves a chance. I guess my worry was, that if I was to return him it had to be sooner rather than later, therefore ruling out any opportunity to give him a chance.

But we had a family discussion last night, including my daughter to let her know that Charlie isnt a young boy and see how she felt about it. My partner was horrified at the thought of returning him, daughter was a bit more practical, she was upset but understood the issues.

We decided to wait and see what replies I got on here before doing anything. I think now we shall see how he settles in and try some of the techniques.

Thanks all

Pea,x
leo

Post by leo »

charlie is male, adoult male much calmer and frienlier...

there is i girl here successfully tame male IRN, adoult...you might wnat to ask her...bella..she is very helpfull...

hm, im not trying to promote my method, but it work with even wild cough cockatoo, may be give it a try...hehe...

good luck...

can sent the picture...should be a handsome boy you have...hehe
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
greeny

Post by greeny »

I am glad you are giving him a chance.

The fact that he does not try and bite, but instead only runs away shows a gentler natured bird. He could bite as you do training, but it sounds like he is not that aggressive.

It will take time to train him, but you can do so. You never know if any bird will talk and even a baby may not talk for a year, some not at all.

So take it slow and there are some good training ideas on this thread to follow. It will be rewarding to try and win the faith of this wild bird.
leo

Post by leo »

hi sweetpea, how is it going?