New User, Problems with IRN bought from pet shop in Sweden.

Moderator: Mods

3kgt

New User, Problems with IRN bought from pet shop in Sweden.

Post by 3kgt »

Hi Every One,
Im a new user and live in Sweden, this is the only site i could find for these burds, and sadly we dont have any swedish sites made for the IRN !

I have recently 3 days agoo bought a Parent feed, wild IRN from a shop, its 3 months old and should be a male do to the shop owner !!

Its Verey Wild and gets scared every time anyone comes nere the cage and it starts flying around crazy !

I know this question propebly have been asked, but excuse a new user cause i wasnt able to find good info on this one, and some have wright about birds abit older than mine.
Some people from parrots forums here have scared me shitless that a wild parent fade bird dose take verey loong time and never is the same as a hand feed ! now i dont know if thats to our IRNs or not ?
Is there a chans or should i sell it and try to get a hand feed ? i can tell you that it was mission imposible to get a bird at all here :S

* Dose this burd ever get hand tamed as a Hand feed bird ?
* How loong time and what is the best methods ?
* Should i talk or should i wistle ?
* Will i ever be able to put my hand on his head and he acts like a hand feed baby ?
* How loong should i let he bee alone before i make more contact ? he have been in my house for 3 days now
* How loong will it take to make such a bird tame ? any tips ?
Im Verey thankfull for all advises :) and sorry for all the questions but i love the bird and dont know what too do.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Well for starters if the pet shop owner is right and the IRN is only 3mths you shouldnt have too much problems but then again it will be hard work.

YOu have only had him/her for 3 days let him/her settle down talk with your IRN while s/he is in the cage and feed some food though the bars holding the food out for your IRN. This can start a bonding process, if it was me i would get the wings clipped so the bird is more dependant on you and has to get you to take him/her places etc. I would slowly introuduce your hands to your IRN as these birds arent keen on hands.

Dont be scared bout your IRN biting you they do this to tell you to go away just ingore the bite and carry on doing what you are doing.

I am really hoping that the show owner got the age right and hopefully with your time and love you will get your IRN playing by your rules and let you touch him/her, just dont move too fast.

Hope this helps, im sure someone else will give you some more tips
Sharlene and Amazon
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

THx for the tips :)
Dose DNA test show the age of a bird aswell ?
About Wing clippeing ! Is it good or bad ? i saw in a youtube video that wingclipping birds before the age of 2 years dose have an affekt on there genetics !!! that it dosent fully evolve "excuse my speeling but it been years since school and enliglish writing :D :)
and if i do clip the wings, should i catch the bird myself ? dosnt it scare the bird by catching it ! its already freaking out when i come near the cage.is it a normal reaktion ?

But shouldnt i have any food in the cage so it can eat by itself or feed it with other stuff by hand ?
Jim

Post by Jim »

A DNA test won't tell you anything about the age of the bird, just which sex it is.

Different people have different opinions about wing clipping and I don't think it's as simple as right or wrong or good or bad. Some people like having a fully feathered, flighted bird. Others find that birds with clipped wings are much easier to train and still others like their young birds to learn to fly before clipping their wings. Search this site and educate yourself on the benefits and drawbacks of clipping vs. not clipping and decide for yourself what you think will work for you and your bird.

Also, clipping a bird's wings at any age won't do anything to it's genetics in the sense that it will somehow mess up it's genes. Again, however, some owners have reasons for waiting until a bird is older to clip it's wings.

The biggest thing, though, is to be patient and have realistic expectations for the bird adjusting to his new home. Each bird is different. Some seem tame and friendly the moment you get them while others take a few weeks to adjust.

Finally, yes the bird should have access to food in it's cage at all times. You can offer it additional food from your hand.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

Thanks for the tips Jim , been reading more and more in here :)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi there. 3 days is still early days. I would get his wings clipped firstly. If your unsure get someone to show you how.
Give him time to get to know you first and become familar with his surroundings before starting the next step .. step up training. He is still scared of you and will try and fly away from you until he can trust you. Try sitting by his cage and just talking softly to him, offer him treats.. when he settles, you can try the next step. Little steps, this will take how ever long he needs!!!
Please know that all birds are different. Do not place any expectations on him. Patience patience patience. :wink: There is no time limits on how long it will take. Not all will talk, some will, some well, some not very well and some just dont!
Everyone has different opinions on wing clipping. Personally, I find its much easier to tame them when they are clipped. Clipping should only stop them from gaining height so that they cannot get out of your hands, not stop them completely from flying. It does make things alot easier for you. Once tame enough and you have a trusting relationship, you may let them fly. Its your choice. This is my opinion. Both my birds were clipped the first year, they are now flighted and we have trusting relationships, yet Im still training my 2 year old. I have a parent raised and a hand raised. There is significant differences in taming/training.. you definately have to work alot harder to tame a parent raised. But in the end I see no difference elsewhere. It just takes more patience with the parent raised!
Yes, I would be providing seed/pellets as a base diet, a wide variety of fruit and vegitables daily aswell! (No avacado, apple seed, caffiene, chocolate..)
Goodluck and keep us updated.:wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

hmm almost 2 months passed !
and me and both sisters try every single day to feed it from hand or even a stick neer our hands, but im beegining to give upp on this bird ! actilly im even biggning to question if this bird is 3 months old or older !
Cause the store didnt even send me the birth certiftiq papper (Exucse my bad speeling but was a loong time since i wrote in english)
and beside its already screeming and begning to sing ! and i read that it speaks and sings at 9 months or older !!!

So now im begning to give upp as i said, so either i will try to wing clipp it and try that method!
Or seel this bird and try to get a new young hand tame and hand feed one. it aint easy to find one here but this bird is hopless almost and tierd of waiting hours beside the cage trying to feed it and it never comes.
its just 2 scared of poeple ! i would guess that it would take years untill it comes on our hands. and that much paithent i dont have.
I have trained Wild eagles much easer than this bird !! hehe
What do u think ? wing clipp it or should i get a new bird ?
i mean we are 3 persons giving it almost 2-3 hours a day of care and speaking to it and trying to feed it, and even giving it the best food, cage and luxery and still no progress.
Last edited by 3kgt on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

Buy the way ! do you think that the store tricked me on the age of the bird ? it should be almost 5 months now and it sings every morning verey loudly and clear ! and i read some where that they learn to speak at 9 months and older ! ?
they should send me home the birth pappers but nothing yet!
leo

Post by leo »

3kgt,are you able to post the pic, usully can gauge the age through the appereance...

usually 3 month old baby have dark eyes...

waiting to see the pic
(haven read the whole reply)
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

i can take a picture and mail it back to you! cause i dont have any server to put it on :(
leo

Post by leo »

ok
sure,...i can help u post if you want...just email me...msn..
leo1608_88@hotmail.com
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

K Thanks ..i have add u on msn now, hope the pictures are good ! it wasnt easy geeting one :) he was scared
leo

Post by leo »

guys...this is the birdy 3kgt has, i help him to post the image...
please give opinion on how old is the bird he bought......

thanks alot

in my opiniaon, he is about 1 year, + or -
i dont know, it is what i think...

thanksa lot
bec

Post by bec »

dont give up on him i got my baby general from a pet shop in febuary this year & even though he still wont let me touch him he has built up quite a strong bond with him to start off with him i put him in a room that im in alot then spent alot of time pretending i was ignoring him axs he got calmer i started talking to him from the other side of the room once he started talking back i started moving closer for our conversation times he will let you know how close to get it does take a while & a lot of patience but now my little baby is having converstaion time from the headrest of my chair
also food rewards work well with these guys mine like apples & brocoli the best
inept

Post by inept »

No way that critter is 5 months old. With beak coloration like that, it's at least twice that old. If the shopkeep told you it was 3 months when you bought, it should have had a totally orange "baby" beak and its eyes should still have been black. At 5 months, the eyes would be blue already and he or she would start developing an adult-colored beak.

Aside from that, hard to tell. Could be a year or it could be more.
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

Well i have annonced him for sale now, for a low price ..
the petshot offerd me to reteurn him when i called them maddly, but told me that he will get back to the same place where he came from " a place where they sell birds to stores in hundruds of them" and i didnt like the ide that this poor guy goes back there so i said i will keep him and sell him my self priavitly,
Im now looking for a hand feed baby, buts its not easy to find thow these birds are cheeper than other parrots so most owners dont hand feed them.

A strange thing is that he is suddnly more affraid of oss ! dont know why ?
i let him out before a couple of times and had to bring him in with a towel thow he never went into the cage by himself.
and a nother thing is that we are laying a balck blanket on his cage at night so he dosent get much light in there so he can sleep well !
Dont know if those things have a bad affekt on him :S
3kgt

Post by 3kgt »

Another Question !
Is it possible to have a IRN with a Meyers in the same house of same cage ? would the Meyers parrot get killed in action ?
Bella

Post by Bella »

I think you have an adult female looking at the pictures just my opinion tho.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)