Advice Needed!

Moderator: Mods

LoneBlackWolf

Advice Needed!

Post by LoneBlackWolf »

As of right now I only have two male budgies whom share a large cage in our living room(where my father spends the majority of his time). A friend of the family told us that his grandmother was looking to re-home her male IRN. We'll be going to pick up said IRN next weekend. The owner has bad allergies and per doctor's orders, she sadly needs to re-home him. Not much is known at the moment other than he's a normal colored male, over 17 months(has ring around neck) of age and his name is Opie. But I'm quite sure when we go over Friday, I'll be able to ask anything I need to know, i.e. age, diet, etc.

What I wanted advice on is. How social are IRNs with other bird species? I would love to get a male cockatiel some time in the future and would ideally like them to share a play stand between their separate cages. Would this be something that would work out or would there need to be two separate play stands so they can have their own space outside of their own cages? I'm limited on space so I wanted to know this beforehand as I don't want there to be any serious fighting between the two.

A couple side notes. The IRN and tiel would be sharing my office room(where I spend the majority of my time), away from the budgies. I also like to keep all of my birds flighted(no wing trims). I don't like taking that away from them and have dogs and a cat and rather they have a way to keep out of reach. So they would be able to fly away from each other if a squabble were to break out.

I want nothing but happiness for all of my pets, so I want to know everything in advance so I don't make any mistakes before bringing them into my life. If something doesn't look like it will work I'd rather only have the one bird than two very unhappy birds. Thank you in advance, to all who reply! :)
Pallas

Re: Advice Needed!

Post by Pallas »

Hi there. There is no real answer to your question; some IRNs effortlessly get along with other birds, some simply tolerate other birds' existence, and others will absolutely detest others. The IRN's temperament may be a good indicator; for example, a sweet and socialized IRN may more readily fit into its new flock, whereas less socialized birds may require a lengthy training period to learn to tolerate other birds. But this isn't a rule of thumb; you won't really know until you observe the IRN in its new environment. If you do choose to bring the IRN home, please keep it in its own cage and carefully monitor any signs of aggression if you choose to let the IRN check out the other birds. IRNs are bigger and stronger than budgies and conures, so they can do some real damage. But before rushing to get the IRN to get along with your other birds, make sure you focus on building trust with it first. Good luck!
LoneBlackWolf

Re: Advice Needed!

Post by LoneBlackWolf »

Thank you so much! He won't be around the budgies whom will be in a different room in the house and I don't have a tiel yet. I'll just work on Opie for now and see how things go. I just wanted to get a feel for how IRNs are from people who've been around them. All I know about him currently are his name, gender and he is over 17 months of age. As the pictures I was sent show he has his neck ring. I'll return when and if I decide to get a tiel to get some pointers on how best to introduce them and such. Again, thank you so much for taking the time in replying. I appreciate it very much! :)