The taming of Pablo

Moderator: Mods

chrisjones

The taming of Pablo

Post by chrisjones »

Hi, just wondered if anyone could offer any advice with the taming of my male, yellow IRN who is, I believe is 13months old. When I bought him, he was the most active bird in the cage (some of the others looks vacant) now he will come to me when I am sat on the chair nearest to the cage. Me and the entire family talk to him daily - even leave the radio on when we go to work. We've tried feeding him through the bars as he flaps about the cage if we put our hand in, but he still not interested.
He doesn't seem to be calming down. When I let him out the cage he flies around the room into things which often worries me in case he injures himself often choosing to sit on curtains rather than his cage. When out he doesn't come to anyone and eventually when tired I have to put him back in the cage (this always seems like a battle)
My son has been reading about holding the bird in a towel just for the bird to get used to the close contact even if bitten.
I would like for my bird to interact more with the family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards

Chris
IndianRingneckBoy

Post by IndianRingneckBoy »

how long have you had him
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester
chrisjones

Post by chrisjones »

I'd say a just under 2 months, at first we let him get used to the cage, the house, the voices of each of us.
He does seem interested in whatever we're doing in the room, but can never get him to come to us if we let him out the cage.
Early morning we hear him sqwarking and it does sound like he is trying to speak rather than a shrill.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

there are a few things you could try, maybe getting his wings clipped to tame him better and as he gets better you can let his wings grow if you choose to have a flighted IRN, I wouldnt use a towel thats my prefence i just take the bites.

Sit right next to the cage one person at a time so he doesnt ahve so many people around at one time this can freak them out, talk calmy while holding the food though the bars and tell him everything is alright and safe.

i hope this might help you
Good luck
Sharlene and Amazon