Not Coming Out of his Cage

Moderator: Mods

CharlieandLaura

Not Coming Out of his Cage

Post by CharlieandLaura »

Hey!

So, I've had a male IRN for around three months now, and he's still terrified to come out of his cage. I'll leave the door open for him whenever I can, but he only ever comes out when people approach him. With nowhere else to go and the cage door wide open, he just jumps out. Then, there's the issue of getting him back in, though, I'm more concerned about him actually coming out, as I don't want his life to be spent in a cage.

Do you have any suggestions for what I can do? Perhaps you've gone through something similar?
AJPeter

Re: Not Coming Out of his Cage

Post by AJPeter »

You need to build his confidence up, eat your meals near his cage they are very sociable, do not rush this getting to know each other, talk to him as much as you can, DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS IN HIS CAGE YET. He must have some where he can call his own. Hunger will drive him back in his cage although sometimes they be very difficult to get back in, the cage is some where he can feel "Safe" and will go back. Quire likely he will sit on his door.
MeloMelo

Post by MeloMelo »

I had the same problem with my blue ringneck, what I did was leave the cage door open with a treat like a small grape on the floor outside his cage. At first he would just stare at the grape and not come out. After a few times of doing this, he eventually came out to take the grape before going back in the cage and eating it in a the cage. Then gradually he became more confident and started coming out and staying outside haha. For my white bird I was a bit more impatient, I just use a towel to get her out of the cage lol. She gets a little scared at first but once she's outside she calms down. I find the towel method much faster but it can be stressful for the bird sometimes. To put the bird back into the cage I just throw a towel over them and pick them up with it before putting them into the cage. They don't struggles or make any noise if I do this fast.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Eat you meals by his cage his curiosity will help him come out, he has to learn to trust you
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Towelling is Not the answer, in fact it could make things worse, by making him more fearful of you, any trust will evaporate. Towelling is for emergencies only.
Leave the door open and eat food, they love their tummies best of all, and will want to see what you've got that they might like. I found with Ms Sanjay, coming out wasn't a problem, getting her back in was, it was because she hated her nursery cage, as soon as I bought a bigger cage, as soon as I put her food inside after cleaning it, she couldn't wait to get back in.
I know this isn't your problem, but it may help you to understand their psychology, like many animals, they are food orientated.
Esco96

Post by Esco96 »

I totally agree with the towellinv method being the wrong approach, im guessing by now since a month has passed your ringneck should be coming out, but even if he/she isnt i would highly reccomend not using the towelling for anything other than trips to the vet or in emergencies.

Heres what you can do:
Put some music on daily and sing along to it in a clear but soft voice and talk to the bird as much as you can, i read my one a chapter of a book daily as i am still in the process of taming him. (Allow the bird time to get used to your presence and your voice.)

Eat some food near him anx exaggerate how good it is by making mmhmm sounds and chew loud. Your bird will be itching to try some and when you do eventually put a bit in his bowl this would show that you arent a threat and you even offer your best treats to him.

Allow the cage door to stay open for aslong as you are with your bird and carry on your daily life but still keep a close eye on him discreetly. This shows that he can come out the cage and that he isnt there by force.

If your bird does eventually come out encourage it say good boy or something and leave that be. Dont over do it as it may get scared.

In time try feeding the bird through the cage but if he doesnt take the treat just put it in his bowl and walk away.

Most importantly, have pacitence and allow the bird to move at his speed. You'll realise more and more improvements daily. I cant stress this enough DO NOT towel it will distress your bird alot.

Good luck and keep us updated :)