We've come a long way – but we've still got a long way to go

Moderator: Mods

Tetly

We've come a long way – but we've still got a long way to go

Post by Tetly »

Hi there. I'll share my story here and if someone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
I've had my IRN for 14 months now. We've come a long way, he takes everything from my hand now, as soon as he sees me eating he will come and grab it and land on me if needed (just for a few seconds, grabs a piece and flies away). He is an aviary raised bird, he learned to turn around and stretch on command. Currently, we are working on stepping up, although not as often as I'd like to, since I've been busy these days. He gets really nervous when target stick is far away and he is supposed to step up, he starts retreating and then I move the target stick closer so he wouldn't run away. Sometimes, his chest touches my finger when he is leaning towards the stick - he isn't thrilled with that, but he does it.
He is still not completely comfortable around me, he will take a nap near me but in certain situations he shows signs of discomfort. Also, he is not used to other people since I'm the only one working with him. He has a 'special' scream which he does when he doesn't like something (Exp. me wearing a hat, other people).
I've got time and patience and I enjoy being around him and taking care of him, I love seeing progress no matter how long it takes and I'm in no rush. But if someone has any suggestions, maybe I'm doing something wrong, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you. :)
AJPeter

Re: We've come a long way – but we've still got a long way to go

Post by AJPeter »

They are a one person bird, and show affection to the one they love only. I often think they train us. They get used to certain hair style and strange hat can be unsettling for them. Do not rush the step up training my bird is not trained and she steps up if she wants to, other wise you seem to be doing well. Keep up the good work.
nicolem

Re: We've come a long way – but we've still got a long way to go

Post by nicolem »

You've had your bird a few more months than I've had mine, but it sounds like you're working the right way. Mine were babies and handfed, but not hand tame AT. ALL. We've built a good relationship though over the past 11 months. You've accomplished a lot more training than I have! I will say that my boys are also sensitive to certain things. For a while when they were really chompy, I got in the habit of wearing old shirts over my clothes because I didn't want my REAL clothes to get holes bitten in them. These shirts happened to be mostly blue and green, and I've noticed that my Marcel is incredibly suspicious of me when I'm wearing colors that are not blue or green! haha. They definitely notice!

I initially did a lot of motivation with food, encouraging them to come to me for food, etc. I also live alone, so they really don't see other people that often. I do occasionally have some friends over, and they've gotten pretty good about being curious about new humans. I always encourage people to feed the birds a treat, so my boys will greedily take treats from just about anyone through the cage bars. After a few treats, I have my friend offer the treat from the opposite side of the cage, forcing the bird to go to the person to get the treat. Then, if the friend is ok with it, and are properly cautioned that my birds fly fast and furious like little swallows, I take them out. The birds are very wary at first, but if I'm over talking to the new human, they will eventually fly over and investigate. Sometimes I find it helps to have the two birds because jealousy and curiosity are strong motivators, lol. Plus, with their different personalities, one is more affectionate, while the other is braver and more curious, etc. If you have a friend over, maybe just try letting your bird out and let him do what he wants (of course, check with your friend first to make sure they're ok with this! My birds are flighted, so people need to be prepared that their head might be deemed an attractive landing sight!). I'm always very much on guard with new humans and my birds, mainly watching out for my friends because my birds can be nippy at times, so I watch the body language closely and deflect any potential bites. I think it's also important to only let the birds out around people who you trust won't freak out if the bird flies close to their head, etc. Negative responses can be so powerful for birds.