The DESTROYER! Run!

Moderator: Mods

lorgui

The DESTROYER! Run!

Post by lorgui »

Hello. My name is Lorena. I am posting this topic for help. My green Indian Ringneck Boo can't help but destroy everything in its path. He's destroyed my cellphone twice (since he's usually arround the house), and I am in a boat canvas company in which once he chewed on a piece so much we had to postpone 2 days of work, which made me very unhappy, and I'm supposed to be getting money in those lost days. he chews pencils and everything he could possibly chew.

And so, with this long reading which i apologize for, I ask the question:

What should I give for him to chew on that doesn't ruin my work?

I thank you by now and please, please keep me from losing any more rent money. :wink:
-=-=My LoVeLy RiNgNeCk BoO=-=-
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Lorena and welcome to the forum! :)

IRNs, like any parrot, WILL chew. :) There are alot of things you can give your bird to play with and keep him occupied. Bird toys available in both acrylic and wooden, or foraging toys. You can also try coconuts with the shell on.

I can't tell if you keep him in a cage or not by what you wrote, as you said he chewed canvas and stopped work for 2 days. :)
If he is out of a cage all day, it could be an idea to put him in one when working for both his safety and work production!! lol :lol:
As he loves to chew anything and everything, I would be concerned that he may chew something that will cause him to get sick, or worse, chew electrical wiring :? :(

Hope something here helps. :)

What is your IRNs name?

8)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

How much time do you spend with Boo, maybe he wants your attention and the only way he seems to know how to get it is by chewing everything you touch.
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh dear. This might take a while to fix. Even then birds will always chew. You could try distracting him with chew toys, is there a particular material he favours? Try giving him something safe to chew if hes not interested in toys. I found shoe laces and empty toilet rolls work wonders. Putting him in the cage when your out or busy is a good idea too. If you know theirs a certain thing he likes to chew, keep him away from it, keep at it, after a while they get the idea.
I'm having similar problems with Yoda. But he now knows chewing household things is bad, he only does it behind my back, as soon as I look at him, he either acts like hes an angel or has a tantrum. We've only been in this place for a couple of months and already were going to have to replace the blinds before our first inspection. :x
This is what he did last year.. Luckily in this place he cant get to the roof now.
:D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lena

Post by Lena »

I was just about to make a new topic about this.
Watto dissicrates (I don't know if the spelling is right) his toys, in tiny tiny pieces, and those pieces he doesen´t throw at the guineapigs he throws in his water :shock: .
It´s nice to see that this is a parrot thing and not just a Watto thing :D .
I was afraid at first that he didn´t just destoyed them but also ate the toys but after that I found all those little pices with the guineapigs i know it isen't so
lorgui

thanks for the replies

Post by lorgui »

hey thanks for attending to my topic, and, since i work at home, i spend almost 24 hours a day with my bird, answering one of your questions.
And answering another question, Boo attends to his cage when it seems fitting to him. He has total access to the whole house, and even though he's an explorer, I always have him on sight. :shock:

So just telling you something funny. I enjoy classical music and since im at home 70% of the time, Boo chirps with the music as im working. I guess we have something in common after all :D

And he loves wood, apparently. got some rotting wood from another boat, he enjoyed it very much. And no, he does not eat it. Birds have to keep their beaks short or else, by having nothing to chew, his beak could grow under where its supposed to be, causing him not to be able to eat in some extreme cases. I got some of that info from the pet store i got him from, so I guess if you have questions about behavior, its possible that the store keeper will inform you. :)
-=-=My LoVeLy RiNgNeCk BoO=-=-
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Amazonite makes a great point. My Andy and I spend most all day together. He rides the top of my head / shoulder or back of my chair most of the day. Cleaning my hair or flying over with his ball to sit on my head and just watches me work BUT when he gets tired of mommy working and wants my attention he will flat demand it! My fella chews the window sills to get my attention because they are wood and mommy says "Andy!" and he knows he is not suppose to do that. The difference here is your baby can get out of your sight when bored or specifically wanting your attention and goes off and does naughty things out of your sight.

As to not have to lock him up when you work- is there a way in your office area that you can keep him in that location only? I have my office set up with a swinging glass pane door. He can see out of the office and I can see in when I am not in there- but he rarely ever leaves that area. His cage is in there and he has enough room to fly- but he can't leave and go and do something in another room and me not know about it. It does keep the destruction down.

If that is at all an option- I know you and your baby would prefer that better than the cage all day.
Suzanne- NC- USA