NEW NEED HELP TAMING MY BIRD

Moderator: Mods

MystWarrior

NEW NEED HELP TAMING MY BIRD

Post by MystWarrior »

i just bought a ringneck today
he is about 4 months old and it is light blue,
when will the ring be visible?
all he does it stick to the side of his cage when I leave him alone in it...

he has not been hand fed and he bites too
however, i was able to set him loose and hold him
He let me rub the back of his head
so maybe, there is hope in taming him(her?)!

and can anyone tell me why he sticks to the side of his cage instead of just sitting on the sticks???
OMG is it sick?!?1
any tips???
thanks!!!!
=D
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

Give it a few days and it should settle in. Its probably just nervous and is afraid to relax on the perches.

The fact that it let you give it a head rub is a great sign! At only 4 months old, with a little bit of work, I am sure it will come around!

The ring I believe shows up between 18 months and 2 years. The ring only shows up on males though, they come in lightly on females. That is how you can tell them apart when they are older, until then unless you get a DNA test, there is no telling!
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

If you only got him/her today, then give him/her time, they need to get to know their environment to make sure its safe. s/he will get use to it and will start to settle down, 4mths is young so you will be fine with the training and taming, are the wings clipped or not?
Sharlene and Amazon
MystWarrior

Post by MystWarrior »

yeah actually I am very surprised at how much it settled down already! at only day two, it sits on my shoulder, lets me feed it, and lets me rub it too!
when will it learn to speak?????? i have seen videos of them speaking...
its also a little quiet, doesnt whistle or anytihng... it also tries to bite my ear sometimes... which hurts! lol and yes the wings ARE clipped =]
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

umm your looking at round 9mths up when they start to try and talk.

it will be quiet for a while, s/he will start making noise when its more comfty.

if s/he bites dont react to it, as this causes them to think its a great game and will do it more.

Good to here you guys are doing well together
Sharlene and Amazon