Ring Neck's vocalizations

Moderator: Mods

heathmcc

Ring Neck's vocalizations

Post by heathmcc »

Do all IRN's have a high shrill call that they use frequently during the day? If I got a baby and handled it daily, but had to leave it with a pet sitter for a week for a vacation would it regress and become untame? My sis has an untame IRN that doesn't talk even though it is in her kitchen being talked to all day. It is a year and a half old that was rehomed about 6 months ago. I have read that they become untame very quickly. Is this your experience? Thanks, Heather
Heather Mccall
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i think its about a week with no human contact at all which will turn them to being "wild" if you are going to go away for a week someone will need to look after it and do the things you do like take it out and play talk etc or else you could have problems.

as for the high pitch scream yes they do it, its a contact call. Most stop when they know they have the attention they need or want, my boy only does that scream when he wants food and someone is in the kitchen and he can see your making food.
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

Post by bec »

my three have a morning and nightly fly around the lounge yelling time general & riku also play contact call hide & seek thats when one flys off and "hides " just out of sight of the other then contact calls the other to come to them
but i agree with amazonite about the food on the minute my guys hear chopping or the popcorn machine they go nuts till their bowls are filled with goodies :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Do all IRN's have a high shrill call that they use frequently during the day?
Oh yes they certainly do :lol: . It is their natural call.

If I got a baby and handled it daily, but had to leave it with a pet sitter for a week for a vacation would it regress and become untame?
I think it depends on each bird and circumstances. I have a girl that I handraised and she now is in an aviary outside. I do spend everyday with her (like I do with the others) and she is the same as when she used to be indoors. She flys to me on command and likes to follow me around when I am in there.
I go away for a week every year to visit my parents and she is the same when I come back. It seems like she even misses me (probably my imagination lol).
But I guess it would depend on how bonded you are with your bird in the first place. I believe birds have a long memory (only have to look at mistreated birds to see how good their memory is) and would not forget you in a hurry.

You would need to find a real good pet sitter so as not to undo any good work you have done. :)

8)