What's The Best Time For A Bath?

Moderator: Mods

countrygal_cc

What's The Best Time For A Bath?

Post by countrygal_cc »

Hello what do you guys use for your bird when it comes to taking a bath? Cupcake two times this week when I came home cupcake's head was soaking wet does this mean cupcake wants to take a bath if so what would be a good thing to put in her cage for a bath also I have been talking to cupcake and cupcake sit on my hand for a long time I thought I heard cupcake whistle like the something is pretty whistle :-) and I also thought I heard cupcake say hello and it was weird it sounded like a man's voice do you guys think I did hear this when cupcake done this it was really quick then it was like nothing happened...

Misty
Park outside where the air is cool...
bec

Post by bec »

riku does the sticking her head in her drinking water all the time but whenever ive given her something big enough to bathe in she ignores it
so i use a spray bottle
shes now in a routine with this once shes finished standing on her head in the water bowl she sits on a perch & waits then i spray her she loves it!!! she spreads her wings & flaps & yells happily then turns her back for me to do that side
kieron likes the spray bottle too but with him i have to spray very gently above his head so it falls down like a gentle rain
general still freaks at why im bring the thing near him & wont even try it yet so i just wash the other 2 & hope eventally heel join in the wolf whistle is so cute isnt it? 2 of them do that
the talking will happen more & more once they get one word they seem to pick up others quickly heelo was the first word i heard kieron say but riku had to out do him & started with "brocolli" :roll:
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Charlie Parker gets a spray bath every morning and loves it. He still manages to give himself an occasional water dish bath. On hot days I give him a pie plate with a little water and float some toys in it and he hops in and splashes away for fun.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon wont bath on his own he has to have a shower with me, he likes the steam and on warm morning i mean the sun has to be shining he will climb off his swing and into the bath tub soaking himself in the warm water.
Sharlene and Amazon
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

how often should they be bathed?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Here is a helpful link on bathing.

http://birds.about.com/od/grooming/a/bathing.htm

In regards to how often? Best practice is to provide a water bowl away from perches (so no droppings get in etc) as what a parrot needs, and what a parrot wants can be two very different things. This way they can groom etc as they please in whatever manner they wish.

If you just cant do that, then best idea is to have your indoor bird get a spray or few during the warmest part of the day, or if your home is constantly quite nice, then whenever you find they like it most... trial and error comes into play in that regard.

There is no guide for times... or how often. But birds, like cats, constantly groom themselves, and the more you can facilitate this the better. A birds health even if its not flying around alot, is heavily reflected, and impacted, by their ability to maintain a healthy feathering.

In short, if you have the time to do it daily, awsome, as sometimes its also just loads of fun for the bird. If not, every few days is a good idea. Its not just the feathers that require this moisture, its their nasal passages as well.
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

thank you very much fah! that link is very helpful!
Fah

Post by Fah »

No worries at all. Its good to build up a link listing of helpful places to try and find information.

The answer is 99.9% of the time already answered, however its finding the answer that can be as easy as opening google or as difficult to having to track down other people (like here) to eat into their own knowledge / links list :P
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

something good to do would to be post links from members for some of the more simpler questions. like a newb guide. i tried to use the search on this forum and this is what i came up with :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I havnt really had troubles with either of my 2 when it comes to bathing. I leave it all up them! Usually theyll dunk their heads in water when they want. Some others have had troubles with getting their bird to bath at all. Sounds like Cupcake likes a quick dip! :)
Just just giving Cupcake a shallow tub of water, you could just use a small tupperware type container. See what he does. You could try a misting him, if he likes it, or take him in the shower with you too. Cupcake might have a preference for bathing. Both mine like to bath different ways..
Jibby prefers to bath in his birdie bath tub about once or twice a week or whenever I turn the vacuum on. (Vacumming seems to make alot of parrots want to splash around in some water, odd.. but it works)
Lola prefers to come in the shower with me, and insists on me getting my hair wet. She sits on my head and leans over into the water. If I dont want to wash my hair, she will pull on my hair! Shes a shower hog!
If she wants a bath and Im not having a shower she will just have a quick dip in Jibbys bath 'tub'. They would fight over the birdie tub so I got her, her own! Now they have one each. Cost me about 2 dollars each, you can get them from pet stores and most department stores, they can be placed on the side of cages aswell. But I keep them ontop of the cage, because they only sleep in their cages.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey has set days, and these he has chosen himself LOL - I am not kidding here. He bathes in his big bath which is outside his cage on Friday and Sunday. As I work long hours, I am not sure if he bathes in his drinking water during the day. I am home Friday, Saturday and Sunday and that's when he is out the most. On Sunday he takes 2 baths - yep 2. He gets water everywhere, it is really gorgeous to watch him.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

it is not warm enough yet here for me to try th sray thing , i have not seen Siren take any interest yet in a bath - lol will give the sray a go with both specs and siren when things warm up a bit here though .

sounds like it could be fun :)