Stress? What for?

Moderator: Mods

Anemos84

Stress? What for?

Post by Anemos84 »

My IRN is 2.5 months old (I think) and he 's eating on his own now.
I liked handfeeding him but I 'm happy we passed that stage.
The problem is that his behaviour changed and keep changing rapidly. First of all he cannot stand his cage. It is very large with perches and toys but all he does all day long is hanging from the bars and trying to get out. He just doesnt stop with anything. He throws away his food and even tried to get out by chewing the bars. When he is on his stand he calms a bit but soon enough he will leave the stand.
The second worry I have is that he 's been aggressive with his toys. I mean he attacks them and doesnt play with them. What 's that about?
The third concern is that lately he has began to scream a little. Well not actually scream but he is making a noise like crying and then turns the volume up some times especially at morning.
Probably he 's still very young and needs his time but I really want to solve the cage problem and make him happy cause I love him whatever he does or how mad he makes me some times. I mean he 's just a baby...
Donna

Post by Donna »

Your baby is still very young and will be going through alot of emotional and physical changes. You have to be ready to encourage the good behavoirs and ignore the bad. Give him more time to get use to his new cage and toys.
The screaming episodes he's having is more for attention, you want to learn not to go to him every time he screams because this is another behavior you don't want to encourage.
This bird is going to act like a 2 year old child all his life so you have to treat him like a 2 year old child.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Birds naturally "sing" on a morning and an evening as the sun is coming up or going down, so i usually let my fid off a bit if hes loud then. He does calm down after a while and starts practising his talk
inept

Post by inept »

If the bird is making a crying noise, it's probably hungry. A very young bird at this stage may appear to have been fully weaned, but under stress will revert back to requiring hand feeding. If the bird is begging, you're better off feeding it than forcing it to find food on its own. The hungrier the bird gets, the more it will cry, the less it will eat and the more difficult it will be to handle. This is not unusual.

Birds in the wild are sometimes observed weaning their babies well beyond a year. I don't know if this is specifically the case with IRNs, but it's definitely true of birds that live in climates with distinct seasons like Cockatoos. At the very least, it's safe to say that the birds will not have immediate exposure to all the foods they will eat throughout the course of the year because those foods aren't always going to be in season, even in tropical climates.

What this means is that the birds will depend on their parents well beyond the weaning period and may continue to receive sustenance from the parents over the course of a year or more. You may want to try hand feeding with a baby formula once a day or something and seeing whether you notice an improvement. When the bird is not hungry, he may be more inclined to explore his other food options and he may also be much friendlier.