Not Wanting to Wean Behavior

Moderator: Mods

LuvIRNs92084

Not Wanting to Wean Behavior

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

What do you do if the IRN doesn't make the effort to eat on their own and should already be weaned?
Donna

Post by Donna »

I have had babies that would do that. I started only hand feeding them a little and then put their soft food down such as small peices if carrots peas and corn. I use the frozen veggie mix and warm it in the micro wave. Try millet spray also.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
LuvIRNs92084

Thank You

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

I had tried everything.They just finally weaned but I noticed they didn't want to wean for a while and I was told I was a enabler.Thanks for the info, its always nice to hear from someone whos had that experience.Did you notice a weight drop?
Kris
Donna

Post by Donna »

Yes they will drop some weight that's normal for them to lose some of their baby fat so they can take flight. I don't know who is more stressed during weaning me or the little bubs :lol:

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
LuvIRNs92084

Thank You/Temp Quest?

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

I'm worried to allow them to stay overnight in the Aviary. I know breeding season is very stressful. What Temp is too cold and too hot for IRNs? I have a protected one I let them play in during the day. But I'm afraid of letting them spend the night in their, in fear in would get to cold.Am I being a baby about letting them stay the night in their?Ive looked everywhere to find the Temperatures they can tolerate, like what is the coldest, what is the hottest. Can you help me?I did study before I brought them home and continue. But, I couldn't find anything about their body temperatures, IRNs acclimation Temps, scientific studys, ect.I love Facts and Avian Science, ongoing Studies ect. Can you help me?
Kris
Donna

Post by Donna »

I think Jay could help you more with that. I live in Michigan and all my birds are inside. Why don't you try to PM him and ask, he has a wealth if information.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
LuvIRNs92084

? on behavior Now

Post by LuvIRNs92084 »

Ok so I purchased 3 all 3 I hand fed together. 2 are same clutch. When I put them in the Aviary (all 3) the 2 same clutch pick on the 1. Why? Is this normal for them? So I seperated the same clutch and rotate them to play.Do they normally pick who they want to be with this early?
Donna

Post by Donna »

There is usually one bully in the bunch and it's usually the oldest one. Is the one they pick on the smallest and more shy? I seperate all my babies after they wean so they are used to their own cage before going to their new homes.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Cutehippiechic

Re: Not Wanting to Wean Behavior

Post by Cutehippiechic »

Our new baby about a week ago.. she was about 12 1/2 weeks by her hatch date I was given.. Now at the breeders house she was weened to soft foods.. her she will not eat anything but baby bird formula.. is that normal??? will it hurt her/him.. <--- we don't know the gender yet..