My new IRN is biting me.

Moderator: Mods

mamad876

My new IRN is biting me.

Post by mamad876 »

Hi all,

As I did lots of search in the net, I believe that it's could be very common that some IRNs become very aggressive some times and it's called bluffing. But any way as i'm not sure about my bird situations and i'm very new to birds I thought it's better to ask you in this board.

2 days ago I was maintaining my home air conditioner at roof top. my wife came to me and suddenly she saw a green bird at the landed at the other side of the roof. we thought it's a wild bird and he will fly away if we try to reach him, so we just ignored him and I continued to my work. But after few minutes we realized that the bird has came to us! he just reached my and jumped over my hand and tried to play with wrench and bolts. As he looked very lovely we decided to keep him. So, I went to a per shop and purchased a cage. He was very calm and friendly, but from today morning I realized that he just trying to bite my ear when he is on my shoulder, at first the bites was not very hard but little by little it became painful and today evening he just trying to attack my fingers when I take him out of the cage. when he is in cage there is absolutely no problem I can put my hand in cage and he just comes over it and I take him out, but as soon as he comes out he flies over my shoulder and attack my ear, when he can reach my finger he bites them very badly.

I read some articles about bluffing but first his eyes looks very normal and second I can easily put my hand in his cage.

I really don't know what is wrong with him.

Also I realize that his age should be something about 2-3 moths comparing to photos and articles i have read. (but I'm not sure any way)

could any one help me how I should treat him?
Thanks and sorry for this long message

Regards,
MAMAD
Bella

Post by Bella »

It sounds like he is trying to test how far he can push you do not let him on your shoulder if he cannot be trusted to be nice.
There are two methods you can try.
1st when he bites you ignore him do not react do not move away do not make a sound because it may be a reation he wants but stay firm this works for alot of irns but it didnt for mine.
2nd method is if he bites firmly tell him no do not back down keep eye contact until HE backs down.
The 2nd method worked for me and now he knows he is doing something naughty if i say no if its biting people or something he shouldnt.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I'll try to see witch one works, but would you please tell me usually how long it takes to understand he should not do that?
I mean for how long I must try each one before giving up (almost)?

Thanks
Bella

Post by Bella »

It can vary you might have to be prepared to do it for a long while. Billy realised after a few days that i am boss and he does as i say because he bullied me quite bad for weeks :lol:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

well,
Thanks.

I'm trying the first method, I think it's going to be hard days for me as I already get lots of bad wounds and scratches on my hand! :?

regards
M
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

When Amazon did the bluffing stage it didnt last long at all, he would bite we would not talk to him but make him do lots of step ups he learnt that way, he only did bluffing for about 3 days and hasnt really biten anyone since unless they have annoyed him.
Sharlene and Amazon
warning

Post by warning »

zack my irn didnt bite when i say to him no.. no biting....
then he will stop....

try to shake what he/she is standing to wheen it bites....
it also works..... ^_________^
julie

Post by julie »

did you try to find the owner of this bird that found you??????
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Hi all,

thanks for suggestions,
After a few days trying it seems that every thing get worse. now he is more aggressive. Previously when he was on my hand or in cage or when I was scratching his head he was very calm but now as soon as he is able to reach my hand JUMPS OVER MY HAND and start to bite me very hard!!!

I really don't know whats happening to him. I can not handle him any more. and I must wait until he decides to go his cage on himself!

Please help!

Also dear Julie first, I think it is not so easy to find this bird previous owner. and second, If he really would loved him, he should just keep him safe and didn't let him go! (OK, maybe I'm wrong because I'm not used to keep birds I just had cats and they were really free to stay with me or leave me but they never decided to leave me).
leo

Post by leo »

did you trim him...

if not, trim him, make him a play pan or jus a t- stand, let him stand there, and try to get close with food after he is comfortable with the stand
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

mamad876 wrote:
Also dear Julie first, I think it is not so easy to find this bird previous owner. and second, If he really would loved him, he should just keep him safe and didn't let him go! (OK, maybe I'm wrong because I'm not used to keep birds I just had cats and they were really free to stay with me or leave me but they never decided to leave me).

I think you should still attempt to look for the previous owner. Look in the lost/found section on here and youll read how easily people lost their pets (mistakes do happen) and how distraught they are that they still havent found their pets. Cats are the type of animal that will decide wether they want to stay with you or not, but i think companion birds would rather not get lost and find someone else. this is probably why hes getting agressive, because hes realising that hes in a new environment and around new people that arent his own. If you are keeping him, its going to take a while for him to get used to you. I know its not the same, but its like when you introduce a new animal to a home that already has animals - they get along, until they both realise that its for good, and not just a few days, and thats when problems start arising like agression. I've seen this with dogs, rats, birds and cats and animals on T.V in zoo's etc.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I agree with Julie

Post a lost and found add in the local paper or check vet offices to see if any one lost a loved pet bird.

Is the bird have any kind of leg band on? If so there is information on that leg band that could help find his rightful owners.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Hi,

Actually there is no ring on her (I think it's going to be female, I can see a green ring appearing on the neck) foot.

I know and appreciate what you are trying to ask me but, there is something, you don't know in what country I'm living. I don't like to talk about it but let me say here animal have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHTS! again I'm sorry but I think you should know this. most of bird shops (specially in my province) are a place for drug dealers! they keep birds in very bad condition (I try to send some pictures if they let me take some). just for example, If you take your dog in street for walk, the police can stop you, and KILL the dog!!!
I'm really really sorry, but please understand me, I'm just trying to help this bird! I know maybe her previous owner was very kind to her but please accept this from me, It is not possible here to find her owner.

Anyway, she is still getting more aggressive every day.
As I wrote in above lines I can see a green ring appearing on her neck. And regarding to the articles I have read, it means that her age should be something around 6 moths, is it right?
Is it possible she is aggressive because she is getting mature?

Also she is not trimmed. I think it's not a good idea to do it myself, and it's better to consult with a experienced person fist, don't you think?

I hope that she feels more comfortable with me in near future.

regards,
M
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hello,
Firstly.. To everyone.. I think people should respect that whats normal in your country can be very different in another. Just keep an open mind. :wink:

Well, I think hes biting because well.. he doesnt know you or your boundries.

Your going to have to build some trust and show him some boundries. If biting your ear is a problem, dont let him sit on your shoulder or you can ignore it. You could take him off as soon as he trys and put him on the floor if you just cant take the biting.

There is not an overnight solution to biting and aggression in birds. It takes alot of patience. You can push through this in time though. Biting will happen, you cannot stop it completely. But you can reduce it and they will understand over time, biting doesnt get them anything.

I find ignoring the biting helps best. Of course you've got to keep this up everytime he bites. It hurts but you cannot show any reaction. Took me a while to not pull back and scream ouch! But I found I could suppress the pain and the biting stopped.

Of course I get a nip everynow and then but its mostly my fault or my eldest is just hormonal.

Yes, I would definately get his wings trimmed. If you cannot find anyone to help. Here is a diagram.. If you can, calm him down by wrapping him in a towel while you trim. Get someone to hold him in a towel while you trim.

Just be patient and keep persisting. This will get easier.
Oh do you know if you have wild IRNs in your country?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for descriptions. it's all your kind.

BTW I know there is some wild IRNs in our country but this area is very far from our city, actually it's about 1,000 Km far away.

If just you think she could be a wild bird, I don't think so, because first time that she found me, and a few days later she was so calm.

regards,
M
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

Woah! i just what you said about the way animals are treated in your country and it is disturbing! im not surprised you dont want to find her owner now, i think id be reluctant too. Sorry i didnt understand the situation before, but now i understand fully.

Its very easy to trim wing feathers. My boyfriend took our fid to the vets at first but they trimmed what looks like the secondary flight feathers, not the first (looking at Lauren's diagram), and he can still fly pretty well. I have had to trim his feathers again with my boyfriend holding the fid wrapped in a towel, and its not as hard as you may think it is :)

Also, i dont think she sounds wild either. too curious for a wild bird me thinks