screaming problem,please advise

Moderator: Mods

leo

screaming problem,please advise

Post by leo »

hi guys, if a fid scream, is it advisible to lock him in the toilet, till he is quiet for sometime,and then take him out...

will he learned?
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
bec

Post by bec »

i normaly just leave the room till they quiet down or get there atention and then turn my back to them but latley ive been trying a tirck i learnt for stopping toddlers temper tantrums
when they scream i dont look at them i just whisper
"do you know while your screaming at me you cant hear a word im saying?"
it sounds silly but it works (on both fids & kids)
but the important thing is you cannot laugh when it works coz then they will figure out your pulling asomething on them
then you give them attention when they are quite and randomly say good boy when he is quiet
leo

Post by leo »

my land lord and her doughter is so sensitive toward the screaming, it is loud, but to me,it is okay, and it is just the contact call in the morning, not really screaming...

she lock him in the toilet !!!
im worried will it bring any negavite to him?
but, it actually make him quiet
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i dont know bout the locking in the toilet i think that can be real bad, with Amazon i distract him when he is screming if im in the same room as him or i just leave him to scream, he knows he isnt aloud to scream like that and gets no treats if he does, if he wants something he asks nicly
Sharlene and Amazon
leo

Post by leo »

tango , mase noise in a patern...
he make noise whne i come out of the room and bathe in the morning, and after i come home from school or outside,...

anybody else come home, he just keep quiet, but it is really a bad time to be noisy, in the mornign, every body are still sleeping, and in the evenign, everybody just reach home from work, so you can guess their mood...
well, his screaming was just a contact call ( still to loud for sleepign and tired people i think), as i think he is calling me as he tinks im his flock, or may be, like :okay, time to play, he is here now...

when ever there is anybody eating on teh dining table( which is fortunately seldom as everybody eat out) he sreams, this one is really scream,..he is located near the main door, and some time the nieghbour will come and ask weather everything is okay,...sometime my landlord just ask him to shut, but those make tango scream everytime we are using the dining table,( he love to see strangers come and knock the door excitedly...)

the rest of the time, he is quiet and most was just chattering...

as he make noise in the wrong time, he is put into the toilet...by my landlord, well, i don't like the idea, but, i got to understand they need their break as well,...

please advice...should or is there some thing i can do about it?

thanks alot
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

Toliet like in the water?

Or just in the bathroom.

Toilet would be a bad Idea.

I used to put oli in the bathroom and close the door and shut the toilet lid and she would play in there when i couldnt take the screaming.
-Justin
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Locking Charlie Parker in the bathroom would only accomplish three things: a five hour shower, even more time spent admiring that hot birdie in the mirror, and total destruction of all the tissues and toilet paper. And you know who would end up on clean-up duty..... :lol:
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

I would just close the door of the room and dont let them see me.
leo

Post by leo »

if it is in side the water, tango will just left by name by now...
of coz not in the water...
he is put inside the cage all together with the cage...

he is now adays really active, hyper active i think...

like he always fly, jump, and run around, without stopping, well he lost weight though....

i wondering weather the toilety treatment alter the behaviour pattern
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi Leo,

I dont think this is a good idea. It could harm Tango emotionally if hes stressed about the bathroom, it could also cause more stress and more screaming for attention. Also toilet bowls are are danger as there is deep water and it can be very hard for them to get out if he fell in. But you said hes put in there in his cage? This is much better than just letting him fly around the toilet. The best way to deal with screaming is to ignore it but to also recognise the different screams.. like the difference between just a morning wake up call to an overbearing 'I want now!..' scream which can be annoying if not dealt with. I think we all know this one hehe. Does your landlord know this? I know it can be hard on others who don't deal with birds or are not educated on them. Maybe your landlord could give him something to occupy his time. I know if I give my birds their breakfast early enough they dont seem to bothered about their morning calls. Or give them something to chew and destroy like a toilet paper role etc just to keep his mind off screaming.. otherwise I just turn my back and walk away. After a few minutes they get the idea that its not appropriate behaviour.
Maybe just have a chat with your landlord and educate him on why Tango screams, and how to deal with it.

With regards to your pm.. I dont see a problem with posting a poop pic. Its educational. Does anyone agree? :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Bella

Post by Bella »

Yeah nothing wrong with abit of bird poop is there lauren its not like we dont all see it everyday anyway is it :lol: it would be good to see what is normal so we can detect any problems with ours fids
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
leo

Post by leo »

guys, im sorry, my cam with my friend, but i will take the latest dropping..

now he become a little quieter, so since i post the toilet isuue, there is no more toilet punishment...can't be sure weather he learn from there...
he usually make noise when im home, but they told me, when im not home, tango is almost like mute...

thanks lot
countrygal_cc

Leo's Bird

Post by countrygal_cc »

Leo how did you get your bird to lay down like that?
Misty
Park outside where the air is cool...
leo

Post by leo »

that was last time, when he was baby...
but now, he dont really like it now, he is like too fat for that now...hehe...

anyway, he still like lying down for a while...
like i lay my left palm on the floor, then say lie down as offering my right hand finger...he will grabbed it and lie down to the left hand palm...
he lie down for about half minute- 1 minutes...
last time he can lie down play or even sleep in that position for 30 minute...
Lena

Post by Lena »

You learn something new everyday and now I have learnd not to give Watto apple when he screams :lol: .
You have a wonderful bird, I love the yellow ones.
leo

Post by leo »

thanks lena...

hi misty,how old is your bird?
look so cute and young...
countrygal_cc

Cupcake

Post by countrygal_cc »

leo hello cupcake is just winned how do you spell that? I know it isn't right id cupcake is just winned how old do you think cupcake is? I can tell cupcake is just a baby :-) My husband held her for the first time last night cupcake got right on his head. My husband likes cupcake good. I am beginning to think cupcake might like irish music. I just tried the lay down trick. I laid my left hand down flat and do I say lay down then I offered cupcake my right finger cupcake will get on my right finger but then what do I do. How old is your bird looks just like cupcake. I really hope cupcake will be a quiet bird but talk some that would be fine.. Are they pretty quiet most of the time. I hope so. Misty
leo

Post by leo »

hmm, the spelling is "weaned"
hmm, cup cake look like 12-13 week old to me...well, when tango at that age, i just slowly grab his back and turn it upside down( lay dow position)..
he would not like it at 1st, but at the 3rd attemp, he just like it...

some bird like but some really dont...so it is rather individual...
but also depend on how much cupcake trust you...

if you want a quiet bird, you should nature it from now...let him know that making noise is not tolerated, but, as a parrot, he still has to scream a little, in the morning and evening and that goes by instinct...

I am beginning to think cupcake might like irish music. I just tried the lay down trick. I laid my left hand down flat and do I say lay down then I offered cupcake my right finger cupcake will get on my right finger but then what do I do

when he pace 1 leg on to your finger, quieckly but carefully tilt your finger in the way that cupcake will be pused to the position of lying down on your palm...
do it really carefully, once you hurt or scare the bird, he will not wan't to lie down again

it take time...really...
it is not easy for a bird to lie down...thats y i decide not to let tango lie down by it self, but giving him helping finger...
don't force,usually tango tell me if he stressed by runing away from me and asking for another game(he will wan't to shake hand as it is easier and he had mastered it when i teach him to lie down on comand)...
but i learned before he actually runnign away, iwould stop the traiing, even though it is just 1 minute...(in training, the bird has to enjoy the training too, or next time, he will learnto avoid you)

some of my friend's IRN really will lie down by themself when comanded...
hope that help
countrygal_cc

Trick

Post by countrygal_cc »

Leo is there a way we can find out how old our birds is for sure also you told me let him know that making noise is not tolerated how do you do that and I might try holding him then laying him on my in my hand.
Does your bird talk if so what does it say and how long does it take before they talk also will I have to worry about cupcake picking up my cockatiel's language Misty
leo

Post by leo »

if he make noise to get your attention, ignore it, don't even look at him, pretend that he is not there...

there is no way we can know it excactly, unless it is stated at the ring or the breeder tell you, i also don't know how old exetly tango is...but he is about 8 month old...

when he laying down in your hand, reward him...

tango make an attamp to talk in very early age,(abt 3 month i think) he seemed like trying to say hallo and good boy, but along the way, he lost interest and learn to sing like wild mynah that he hear every morning, afternoon and evening...
but he did mumble some word, but it is really out of the understanabke range...but the tune is almost like mine saynign hallo and good boy