beak grabbing

Moderator: Mods

rocketsmummy

beak grabbing

Post by rocketsmummy »

Rocket still has a thing about fingers he doesnt like them.
when my son puts him on his shoulder he will tap his fingers on his shoulder and rocket will try biting them not in a really agressive way (unless he is havin a mood day) but just bite them .my son grabs his beak gently and just holds it then lets it go each time he does this rocket becomes less and less interestd in biting his fingers in a sense and it seems to actually become a ,after a bit hes not pinnig anymore and seems like when his going to bite hes waiting for my son to hold his beak. and i must stress this is done very gently rocket can pull away at any time there is no force and my son lets him bite his fingers and says hes not biting hard his laughing while its all going on ....so do you think it is a game or battle of the minds ,whos bluffing who?
im just not wanting to set a behaviour code for fingers but he seem to like the shoulder finger game lol.its only if you suddnely reach at him or try to pet him he gets all lungy and nippy. ........is this all a big mistake as far as boundries go? :?
My heart sings everytime im with my Baby Birdy.
leo

Post by leo »

hmm, but i read that that will lead to future bahviour prob...as parrot beak is very sensitive, it will bring thebird unpleasan feeling when you grab it ( even in the gentlest way) and will provoke him to bite, more seriousely during bluffing...
grabbing to some book said might lead to loosing thrust,like they migtht feel uneasy while we keep doing it and bird always remember thir bad expiriance

it is what i know...sorry :lol:
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D I have done this with both my birds and it does seem to stop the biting. I know a birds beak is sensitive but just holding the upper mandible with your thumb and index finger very lightly (so that they can easily pull away) doesnt seem to distress my birds and they don't get any more aggressive. If anything they are more calm and just stare at me as if confused. :? I don't know if this is what happens with most birds but my 2 seem very relaxed.
I don't see any problem with it as far as harming the bird, its only a very light touch on the beak, I do think maybe holding the beak is a distraction for them? It takes their mind of biting. From my birds reactions they don't seem distressed about it at all. Maybe it could be a power thing?
Its think its a good way of getting them used to your hands being close to them and to gain trust! Only basing this on my birds reactions.
I can sometimes play (when hes not in a furoscious mood) the 'I got your beak' , 'I got your feets' and 'round round the garden, like a teddy bear...' with Jibby. Even get to touch his 'chicken drumsticks'. :lol:. Only place I cannot touch is Jibbys belly. Thats a no no with him. :?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
leo

Post by leo »

yup,but at the bluffing period he will be crazy on biting right, and the mood will be real bad, isn't it will like make the bird angry even more ?
hmm,anywayi think all bird and human different...
i mean like jibbi don like to be touch on the belly,tang donlike to touch on the butt( i touch it when checking is the anus got stuck by dried dropping) and maybe some don like to betouch on the beak...hehe

or may be some people say i don do it hard(but it is hard and it is just him feels that it is not had)...

i always touch tango everywhere reachable even under his wing and beak...but when he went crazy(like yesterday morning) touching is beak like telling him lets fight...

thnaks louren, u got the point too :lol:
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

yes my son only holds the top of his beak gentley it doesnt seem to bother him.will see how it goes.
My heart sings everytime im with my Baby Birdy.