Hello

Moderator: Mods

Chooky

Hello

Post by Chooky »

I just found this board today - what a great place!!!

I bought a lovely four month old irn in January this year....walking passed a pet shop and the poor thing was in full sun in 38C temperature with about a tablespoon of water in his/her dish.

Tricky had a clipped wing so I'm sure someone was trying to tame him, for whatever reason they sold him to the pet shop and even though he cost me more than I know I should have paid...the rewards of having this fine little feathered friend far outway paying too much for him.

Mostly we have a great time together....it took only two days for him to step up, he loves hanging out with me as much as he can :lol: he's very affectionate and of course loves as much attention as he can get.

We have a couple of problems.....1. he has started pulling his tail feathers out and also the regrowing wing feathers that were clipped....they seem to annoy him (I really don't think it's a boredom problem as I'm a stay at home Mum and we spend a great deal of time playing and interacting).....
2. he hates my daughter..lol...well, he hates her fingers. She's 18 so she's no little kid that is annoying him and we've tried so hard to get him to know all the family members (me, husband and three teenage kids).
3. I'm worried that I'm over feeding him.....he always wants food.....it's all good stuff, vegies, fruit, sprouts...limited seed.and those pellet things that you mix with water with seeds....but the rest of the family are starting to make jokes about him looking like a miniature turkey being fattened up for Christmas.

He's a lovely fellow and I really want him to be happy and healthy....hope someone can help

Cheers!!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Image Welcome Chooky :D

Well done on inviting Tricky into your lives. :)

Besides bordom (which you have ruled out)or stress, I am not to sure why he would be pulling feathers out. Can you see any mites ot lice on him? Maybe they might be causing him a bit of discomfort :? Someone else here might be able to help you on that one :)

With your daughter, sounds like Tricky has decided you are his partner :) Another thing if it is only your daughters fingers he is not keen on, if she wears nail polish Tricky might not light the look or smell of it. Or even body lotion or perfume. Have you tried coaxing him with treats onto your daughters hand? That might work.

Talking of food, what quantities are you feeding? Aprox 1/4 cup or so of seed/day and try to keep out the sunflower seeds. They are very fattening and too many can cause things like fatty liver disease etc over time. Just give a couple/day as a treat :) As his wings are clipped he isn't using as much energy as he would be if flying around so weight gain would be much easier for him. Bit like us eating the same amount of food but sitting in front of the telly lol. I read about 1/4 cup of fresh fruit and veg daily for a pair of ringies. So I guess about 1/8 cup full is enough. I generally don't measure fruit and veg, just give them whatever on the day. Some days more, some less. :)

This is just what I would do and do do, but I am sure there will be others here that can also give you tips on what works for them :)
There are a lot of members here with far more experience than me :)

Over all Tricky sounds like a wonderful, loving bird.

Hey I am just across the road from you so to speak, near Bathurst/Orange area :)

:)
bec

Post by bec »

hi chooky
sounds like you started the irn thing at the same time our family did
we got our first in january.......and our third yesterday (yes i admit it im an irn addict :lol: )
from what youve said your doing realy well with tricky we still have trouble getting our first one to step up
im not sure what will cause the feather pulling but im sure somebody will have some ideas as for the 18 year olds fingers try getting her to aproach slowly with her hand tucked into a fist one of my kids had the same problem and she tried this riku (our green baby) still tried to bite but couldnt get a grip so she didnt hurt and every time she stoppped biting & sat back my other daughter (rikus pet kid) gave riku a treat and told her good girl
the basic is ignore the biting( sounds hard but it gets easier)
& reward the good behaviour they are very smart birds & learn very quickly
cant wait to see pics of tricky!!!
welcome
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

pinkdevil wrote:Image Welcome Chooky :D

Well done on inviting Tricky into your lives. :)

Besides bordom (which you have ruled out)or stress, I am not to sure why he would be pulling feathers out. Can you see any mites ot lice on him? Maybe they might be causing him a bit of discomfort :? Someone else here might be able to help you on that one :)

With your daughter, sounds like Tricky has decided you are his partner :) Another thing if it is only your daughters fingers he is not keen on, if she wears nail polish Tricky might not light the look or smell of it. Or even body lotion or perfume. Have you tried coaxing him with treats onto your daughters hand? That might work.

Talking of food, what quantities are you feeding? Aprox 1/4 cup or so of seed/day and try to keep out the sunflower seeds. They are very fattening and too many can cause things like fatty liver disease etc over time. Just give a couple/day as a treat :) As his wings are clipped he isn't using as much energy as he would be if flying around so weight gain would be much easier for him. Bit like us eating the same amount of food but sitting in front of the telly lol. I read about 1/4 cup of fresh fruit and veg daily for a pair of ringies. So I guess about 1/8 cup full is enough. I generally don't measure fruit and veg, just give them whatever on the day. Some days more, some less. :)

This is just what I would do and do do, but I am sure there will be others here that can also give you tips on what works for them :)
There are a lot of members here with far more experience than me :)

Over all Tricky sounds like a wonderful, loving bird.

Hey I am just across the road from you so to speak, near Bathurst/Orange area :)

Hello,

I can't see lice or mites on him but he is often scratching. Apart from my two budgies I've never owned a bird before this fellow. Through the Avian vet link on this site I've found a vet that is but ten minutes away from me. I'll take him there and get him checked out. Originally I was looking into a native bird....applied for my license with the intention of buying a Major Mitchell....then I saw Tricky!! He really is the light of my life.

Wow...you are in Bathurst/Orange!! I have friends from that area. What a small world it is eh!!

Thank you for your help....much appreciated!!
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

bec wrote:hi chooky
sounds like you started the irn thing at the same time our family did
we got our first in january.......and our third yesterday (yes i admit it im an irn addict :lol: )
from what youve said your doing realy well with tricky we still have trouble getting our first one to step up
im not sure what will cause the feather pulling but im sure somebody will have some ideas as for the 18 year olds fingers try getting her to aproach slowly with her hand tucked into a fist one of my kids had the same problem and she tried this riku (our green baby) still tried to bite but couldnt get a grip so she didnt hurt and every time she stoppped biting & sat back my other daughter (rikus pet kid) gave riku a treat and told her good girl
the basic is ignore the biting( sounds hard but it gets easier)
& reward the good behaviour they are very smart birds & learn very quickly
cant wait to see pics of tricky!!!
welcome

Thank you!!! I will try your method of the tucked in fist......I do think that my daughters out stretched hand is somehow freaking Tricky out.Thanks for your help, I've tried to research as much as I can ...this board is the most helpful that I've found.

Please see pic of Tricky in previous post....this is when he first arrived....since then his ring has darkened a lot and he is starting to get a groove around his eyes....plus his beak is now so bright red. He is, I think, an olive ringneck. He's not the most spectacular colour....but he is Mr Personality!!!! And we click......he sits between my boobs (sorry but he does) and I pat him and scratch him......he falls asleep.....and he makes beautiful noises to let me know he's happy!!!! What wonderful birds ringnecs are!!!
bec

Post by bec »

oooh sooo cute!!!!! riku is a green too shes such a personality explosion tho i love the green malesw their ring is such a beautiful color!
i also have 2 blues a male who i was told is 2 but since then ive been told hes at least 3
and yesterday i brought home a baby who i named general because he spends most of the day marching up and down his perch
im not sure if trickys an olive he looks a brighter green than the olives they had where i got riku he looks about the same color as her

and i agree with you ringnecks are wonderful after only three months with these cheeky little birds in my life i dont know how id survive without them!!!!!!

AND I DONT EVER WANT TO FIND OUT!!!!!!
Bella

Post by Bella »

Your fid is gorgeous :D
Billy had the same problem with hands and bare arms i tried to feed him plenty of food out of my hand so he learned that the hands bring good things and when he was on me id do the same with the fist then as he got more used to my hands i would have him on my arm and put my fingers out slowly maybe this would help for tricky and your daughter.
Last edited by Bella on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Awwww, isn't Tricky just the cutest!! Look at that cheeky face right up near the camera lol

Chooky

Post by Chooky »

Thanks all for the advise and the lovely comments on Tricky's photo - he does like to get up close doesn't he.
Bella, I will give your idea a go too. I bet he won't be able to resist my daughters hands if they hold treats!!
bec

Post by bec »

what can i say "yummies" the way to every irns heart the best on is find something they absolutly love & use that as training reward
with our guys brocoli works a treat! :lol:
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

bec wrote:what can i say "yummies" the way to every irns heart the best on is find something they absolutly love & use that as training reward
with our guys brocoli works a treat! :lol:

Lol bec....broccoli is a favourite for Tricky too. He loves the stalks.

I'm sorry for not answering before now but I didn't get a message that there was a reply.

Cheers bec.....you are such a happy and easy to talk to person!!!
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Broccoli, eh? I'll have to give it a try with Gigi bird, although if he has fruit and veggies together, the veggies all end up on the floor. LOL
bec

Post by bec »

riku loves brocoli so much it was her first word
both kieron and general love it too!
larissa is horrified :shock: cannot believe anyone has a good use for brocoli :lol:
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Oh my God! So, I gave Gigi bird a bit of broccoli yesterday. He gobbled it up! Just loves the stuff. It has actually replaced clementines as his favorite food. It's funny to see him devouring something I'll only touch if it's smothered in cheese sauce. :lol:
bec

Post by bec »

im hoping that one day cristy will have her camera handy when riku does her "brocoli dance" she sits on top of the cage & bounces up and down screaming brocli brocli till somebody asks if she wants brocoli then she does it twice as fast till you get her some
& kieron has learnt to get her to chase him he grabs a pice puts it in front of himself & says "hello riku"

chooky thankyou for your comment i am very touched by your words :D
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

LOL - I only eat my broccoli covered in cheese sauce too..our birds are healthier than we are :lol:

Bec, you are sweet!

Tricky has overcome his problem with Jess, the secret was her little game thingy....Tricky can see his reflection in it :lol: He just can't get enough of himself :D
bec

Post by bec »

each bird seems to have some thing that will work with them.......
the hard part is discovering the key
its so cool when we get a step closer!!!!!!
and chooky your sweet too :D
Bella

Post by Bella »

Lol he wants to play the DS billy likes our DS and my mobile phone because he can see himself lol
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
bec

Post by bec »

riku loves a dragon picture i have for the same reason!!!! the background is black perfect for the viewing of oneself!!!!
do you think these birds now the words to the song "your so vain?"