I am new and at this

Moderator: Mods

Lena

I am new and at this

Post by Lena »

I have had a Indian ringneck for little over two yers now, and I have been unaware of everything about them.
This because the person I bought him of said it was a bluecollared parakeet and that it was a female.
now I know why he has screemd at me when I have said pumpkin to him :D :oops:
I want to know howe to be friends with him, he is very shy and flyes away when I get near him.
So how do I start?
Please exuse my english, I`m from Sweden and havent practised english writing for a while.
Bella

Re: I am new and at this

Post by Bella »

Lena wrote:I have had a Indian ringneck for little over two yers now, and I have been unaware of everything about them.
This because the person I bought him of said it was a bluecollared parakeet and that it was a female.
now I know why he has screemd at me when I have said pumpkin to him :D :oops:
I want to know howe to be friends with him, he is very shy and flyes away when I get near him.
So how do I start?
Please exuse my english, I`m from Sweden and havent practised english writing for a while.

Hi and welcome :D Gosh where do i start lol how did you find out you had a ringneck and not a bluecollar :? must have been a shock
Treats really helped with billy and i made sure i was doing something he was interested in so that he would come over to me.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
bec

Post by bec »

hi the best advice i can give you is read the forums & post any questions you have then as you and your irn become closer post & let us know
Lena

Post by Lena »

Hi it all started a few days ago when a friend of mine asked me what kind of bird I had.
i couldn´t answer her so i started to search the web.
After hours of search I came to the conclusion that I probably had a ringneck.
I didn´t find anything about any blue ringnecks so I send an e-mail to Jay and he told me what kind of bird I have.
I felt like a complete idiot for I while and then started to look around.
He gave me the adress to this site, and thank godness for you guys.
I have learned more these few days than I known for two years.
I going to start whith apples and take it from there.
bec

Post by bec »

i know what you mean lena i would have been so lost without this sight when i first started out :lol:
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Lena

Welcome to the forum...

I have 2 IRNs, a green female, Paulie and a blue male, Toby.

I'm originally from Denmark and now living in Australia... Came here with hubby and 3 kids in 1983.. Hubby got rehomed and the kids are now adults with their own children.

My best friend, when I was a child of 11, was from Sweden, and I spent several months at that time on holidays with her... She lived at Nynashamn sounth of Stockholm... I couldn't get over how different the landscape was from that of Denmark...

These days I live alone with my birds and Tessa, my German Shepherd.
Cheers

Lene
maherbeemer

Post by maherbeemer »

Hi, the best thing you can do, is take her in a closed room let her out than take a blanket and put it over her dont be scared, instead of clipping her wings just take a good kind of tape and take about 4 feathers from each wing and rap them together this will alow her to glide and not be able to fly alot, they are scared of hands so wear some cloves cotton kind and start to touch her she will bite a bit but than she will realize its safe than start scratching her head she will get used to you very quickly indian ringnecks are very sociable keep the tape on for a while she will eventually take it off but she will get used to the house and you after a while you wont have to do it anymore, if you want more info reach me at maherbeemer@hotmail.com I did this on the first day I got him and now he is great.
Lena

Post by Lena »

Thanks I will do that. I´ve had him for two years but it´s not until the last week that I have had him on his own.
I understand from day to day hove much wrong I have done from the beginning.
But he´s getting better and better.
Lena

Post by Lena »

Hi Lene and thank you for the warm welcome.
And that goes for all of you as well
Donna

Post by Donna »

Lena You can take bits and pieces of others advise and do what works for you and the bird. My main concern is someone told you to use gloves and tape the wings. Please do not use the tape on the birds wings!! The glue from the tape could be toxic if the bird would happen to chew it off and then the bird would start chewing the feathers to get the sticky stuff off. If you use gloves or a towel or blanket it's going to scare the bird more and every thing that you have accomplished with the bird is going to go out the window. Clipping the wings is your best way to go for now, as another member said take the bird in another room with a T-stand and work on step ups. I have tamed many birds never using tape or gloves. All it takes is time and patience it won't happen over night and there is no quick fix when it comes to earning a birds trust.

Donna
Last edited by Donna on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Bella

Post by Bella »

I personally wouldnt suggest taping a birds feather :shock: or wearing gloves and im sure ALOT of people on her will agree. I didnt get billys wing clipped but some people do for safety reasons and for taming reasons so if you want to limit your birds flight i suggest clipping. You want to aim at getting your bird used to your bare hand try to ignore the biting do not reward any bad behaviour with attention. Billy was very very afraid of bare hands when he come to us but now he will step onto my bare hand it just takes alot of patience and lots of food :lol: billy now does things for praise instead of treats.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Lena

Post by Lena »

Hi no I couldn´t tape his wings, for one reason only, he´d never would forgive me.
yes I´m going to take bits and pieces, of your edvice and try it on my bird.
The poor bird hasen´t got a namn yet, but my husband calles him Nisse, it´s like a funny name i swedish so I.m afraid that this is his name now.
I have made a lot of new toys for him and today I learned that he is a Discobird.
He dances to Rickie Martin, Sheryl Crowe and Donna Summers.
When he doesen´t like a song he screams loud and clear.
This connection is enough for me for now and I´m going to take it slow.
He is still so afraid of me that he flies when I come near.
But don´t stop giving me advice, I can´t thank you enough.
maherbeemer

Post by maherbeemer »

I agree with you, dont tape him just clip his wings, thats what I did yesterday, but let us know about your progress with him
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

WOW!!! :shock: Donna hit it right on!

Don’t rush things. Ringnecks respond with food and patience. Just for the fact that you have the bird alone will force her to deal with you. It should be your job to not overdo or pressure the bird to accept you. Believe me, offer her treats and sweet talk her. You’ll be amazed at how fast she’ll come around. Take each day a step at a time and never overdo or force yourself upon the bird as this can set you back.

Ringneck are social animals and if kept alone will most likely seek out human interaction or stimulation.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

Imran