Why does he hate me so much?

Moderator: Mods

laine

Why does he hate me so much?

Post by laine »

As some of you will know, my Smokey loves me to death. In fact, he likes all our family members :lol: just me more than anyone else - after all I am his mum/mate. And I love it.
My son has a cockateil, Zeke. He is approximately 12 months old and Dale has had him for about 10 months. Zeke was very timid at first and it took Dale a while to build his bond with Zeke. (he had a budgie before Zeke but he died - there are stories of Charlie on here and Zeke was Charlie's replacement) Zeke now likes to be with Dale, will sit on his shoulder and sometimes volunarily goes to him. It has been a long, hard job but Dale is getting there. Zeke, however, has hated me since the day we brought him home. When we first brought him home he would just sit in his cage but Dale could eventually get him out, if I approach him he puffs up to the point I think he is going to burst, he hisses and lunges at me. I have tried going towards him both with and without Smokey but it doesn't make a difference. Even if I try to give him his favorite treat, he doesn't take it and puffs, hisses and lunges. Now he does it even if I walk into my son's room and am no where near him. He is, according to Dale, chatty, social & loving but as soon as I walk in, he puffs and lunges. What is it? My bird loves me too much and my son's bird can't even stand me in the same room :? . I have never, never, hurt him, scared him or anything as such. I just don't know what else to do to get him to accept me. I don't want him bonding but there are times I need to look after him such as when my son goes to his grandparents during school holidays or when he goes on school camp. Poor Zeke won't let me look after him during these times and it worries us. Any suggestions??
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

It seems in a round about way that Zeke has ben rewarded for his behaviour towards you by you leaving him when he behaves like this. I would try a different approach and just sit near enough to his cage where he starts his attitude. Just sit and don't try and pat or anything. When Zeke settles down (may take 20 minutes or more) then leave. This way you have rewarded him with what he wanted, you to go, but only when he behaves. After he accepts you to be there, try moving a little closer where he will probably again try to make you go. Once again stay until his behaviour is relaxed then leave, his reward. Continue this until you can walk into the room without Zeke being naughty :)
Then over time he might accept you to go right up to his cage, where you could try giving treats etc. Sounds like Zeke has bonded to your son :)
My tiel prefers my B/f and will seek him out, flying past me to get to him :evil: grrr lol oh well :) But he is not agressive to me in any way, just likes men I guess lol

Hope this idea works for you.
Let me know how it goes.

:)
laine

Post by laine »

Thanks, I have never thought of it that way. Yes it's true. We laugh about his behaviour but as I don't want him to fret I leave. I will try this and see if it changes. Thanks again. :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

No problems :).

Hope it works

:)