Help taming 6mnth ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Pearl_Black

Help taming 6mnth ringneck

Post by Pearl_Black »

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a beautiful 6-month-old IRN and am seeking help or tips to stop his biting.

Previously I had a princess parrot, but we bought him from a pet shop, so he was used to people been around and didn’t bit much at all. Unfortunately the story is much different with my new IRN.

We bought him from a private breeder. He is 6 months old, but has never been hand raised. He lived in a large bird cage with both his parents and a sibling. The first day we brought him home, he was obviously frightened and was flapping all over the place. Eventually when he calmed down, we cut his wings and let him waddle around a bit. He didn’t like anyone near him, but after a few hours of me hanging around him he would let me approach him. By the end of that night, I had him stepping up onto my finger, and he wasn’t biting much at all. But the next day… he had forgotten everything, which is understandable. So I started the whole slow process… he would step up… but he would bite everything in sight. Even if he s just sitting on my arm, for no reason he will bite my arm. Is this just the bluffing stage? :?:

He lets me massage the back of his head, and sits on my shoulder, but as soon as he sees a finger or flesh, he lunges for it. But as I said, even if he is sitting quiet on my shoulder he randomly goes and bites things… hard.
If this is just the bluffing process, are there any tips anyone may have for me to make him feel even more comfortable or to stop biting? Or does anyone know any other things an IRN likes, I know he likes the neck rubbing… but are there aother things I can try?

Thanks heaps for all your help!

Take care!!! :D
Lene

Post by Lene »

He sounds like a perfect candidate for clicker training...

Have a look at BirdClick at yahoo groups... it's terrific.
Cheers

Lene