a question on your birds talking....

Moderator: Mods

Crazyratwoman

a question on your birds talking....

Post by Crazyratwoman »

When your birds began talking (Petey has only been doing it a week or so) did they start off by only talking when no one was around?

if we talk back to him he shuts up, is this something that comes with age and experience with talking?

Thanks in advance!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Charlie Parker has a chatty time every morning and evening, and any time that water is running, music is playing, or the gardeners are making noise with the leaf blower or pool equipment. :roll: When he started talking he would stop when I'd step back into view, but now he just yaks away, although he always replies with a loud wet smooch noise if I yell out "gimme a kiss!" :lol:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

spit never used to say a word, maybe have a little whistle if we wernt looking. he used to scream loads though, not really talk or whistle much. now you cant shut him up. he makes little woofing noises trying to talk like me and my boyfriend when we have a conversation. he's still trying to say "toy" if you touch anything that he knows he can play with, also trying to say "yeah" now and hes been trying to say "whatcha doing" today if im doing something. its just noises atm tho, but u can tell what hes trying to say.

that all just came out of the blue about two weeks or so ago.
Crazyratwoman, maybe he goes quiet when you talk because hes studying what your saying and trying to learn it?
Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

ryelle, maybe he is lol he's been making wierd sounds in his chatter in the past couple of days thats for sure, maybe its new words he's trying to say... like i didn't realise i said "what are you doing" that much and he says it all the time...
Lene

Post by Lene »

A lot of birds are 'closet talkers' until they gain a bit of confidence...

None of my ringnecks talk, but they are only young (about 6 months old). My quaker talks a bit - like whatcha doing, hello Shrekie..

Cory, my Corella, talks a lot, repeats everything I say... the latest is: It's allright... She's also learning the ringneck's call.
Cheers

Lene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep most are 'closet talkers' until they get over the stage fright. :lol:

Jibby has never really 'taken off' with talking, can hardly make out what hes trying to say and hes 8 this year. But still picks up the odd word he 'trys' to say. Yoda was a chatterbug since a couple of months old. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Post by bec »

rikus just starting out on the talking thing shes been trying to say brocoli for about a month kinda sounds like my two year old nieces version but latley shes been saying hello chicken kieron is a bit harder to judge i was told he spoke when i bought him but i was also told he was 2 years old on of my friends at the petshop i bought riku from ( the lady who bred her ) saw pics of him & when we talked about his behaviour she said he is at least 3 so i dont know he seems to be getting clearer
but he doesnt seem to say any of the things she told me he said
but as they were all swearing :oops: im not complaining the clearest thing he says is hello riku
leo

Post by leo »

few moment ago, tango seems to learn talking...but recentl, he just chatter away without any attemp of saying any word...he is 6-7 month old now, or maybe a lttle more
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey started saying pretty bird at about the age of 8-9 months old. He is now about 2 1/2 yrs old and still loves the word pretty. :lol: he will repeat it over and over. He says, very clearly - pretty bird, pretty boy, where's the pretty bird, you're so pretty and pretty,pretty,pretty, etc for ages. He says whatya doin but not extremely clear. What The? is kind of clear but very funny. He says alot of other stuff some of which only I know what he is trying to say and some things are improving in clarity. He calls out for my partner (Breeeett) that's funny too. When he says (or tries to say) good boy it is more like a sound than words but the tone I use is definately there. When I ask him if he's been a good boy he replies in a high pitch - Yeah and nods. :lol: I recently bought a digital photo frame. I taped myself saying all the things I would like him to learn and things he loves to hear. I put the photo frame in front of his cage while I am at work and have it on repeat all day. I am told, when others come home and see him, that he sits in front of the cage and listens to it and sometimes tries to copy me. He gets to see mummy even though I am at work. When I am setting it up before work, he goes mad, he just know what it is and he gets all excited.