We're no fools!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

We're no fools!

Post by Lauren »

*edit* oops sorry its long..

I have a slight problem.. my birds have become too smart for me. :roll:
They refuse to go to the cage, even at bedtimes.

Normally, they understand that to get a treat, they must go into their cage. Never had a problem with this.. never! They do as their told. BUT.. they are now playing me the fool. :oops:

Both of them have been scheming evil plans against me, I'm sure. They now refuse any treat, no matter how much they want it. I can see they want it soo bad because they pace up and down and there eyes are all fixed on the prize. Ive tried every food under the sun to tempt them. No luck.

Theres no way theyre going back to the cage. They'll try anything! Yodas acts like hes going to step up then at the speed of lighting, fly by snatch and grab! Haha fooled her! Now eat your prize. :roll: Jibby has his own way, 'After Mummys tired and puffed from chasing me around, I shall comply with Mummys step up attemp, but as soon as you get to the door of the cage, hold one foot out so she cant shut the door, then climb out, share some of Yodas treat. Success!' :x Theyre getting smarter every day.

They both know after a while I get fed up and go away to calm myself. They must think up more ways of getting their way, because after my 5 minute calm down, they will make it harder for me, no doubt about it. It now takes me atleast an hour to get them to bed.

What happened? They used to put them selves to bed quietly as soon as it got dark, sometimes Yoda would try to steal Jibbys but we got over that, they would always jump in their cages whenever I offered a treat. 80% of the time, they would step up when told. We were going soo well. I can see Jibby wants to be a good boy but is 'peer pressured' into being naughty by Yoda, I thought the roles had reversed with them, but I can still see Yoda definately has Jibby right where he wants, his accomplice, his student naughty bird. :lol:

What are your general thoughts on clicker training? Is it worth giving a go? Do you think more cage time would help? Maybe they are too spoiled being out all day? Maybe I just get too worked up about it? I try not to scare them. I try and stay calm, but when I go away and calm myself I'm pulling my hair out! :lol:

Treats arent working for us right now. I'm just trying everything I can, I even eat all the food in front of them to make them jealous.. and it doesnt work.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Has this happened since the big move?? If so they may be excited about theit new home and need to settle back into a routine.

At their usual bed time, you could try just getting them to "step up" a few times & walk near the cage and not put them back to bed. That way they won't know if they are going back into their cage or not. It will take a bit of time and a few goes to convince them that you aren't putting them away but after some time they will realize "hey she isn't putting us away yet" and think they have the upper hand. THEN when they least expect it (like on the 4th or even 8th time) pop them in again with a treat after they are in :lol: :lol: You could even try putting them in backwards...I mean like, facing you and their back to the cage while distracting them (I use this method sometimes and it works for me :)). Or you could try putting your hand over their back so they can't fly off and pop them back, (I have done this to.... different tactics for different birds lol)

With the foot on the door thing, you could try GENTLY partially shutting the door so they can't get out and touch the foot with your finger. I find they move their foot most of the time then you can shut the door fully!

Not sure if any of these will work for you, but I have tried these different methods and they work for me most of the time. If one way works then it doesn't I look for something else to do. Always trying to keep one step ahead of the clever little petals :P :roll:

Let me know if any of these ideas work for you.

:)
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

They sure are smart little ones! Haha. It must be the time of year. My birds and my daughters are all acting more... "intense" is the word that comes to mind.

As far as clicker training goes... iI think it is a personal choice. My daughter uses it for her dog and her starling. I've seen it work wonders in encouraging desired behaviors and actions. They all seem to love it. And I know people will say "you shouldn't bribe your pets to get them to do what you want to!". My personal feeling is....um.... why not? Who do you know that would go to work and perform a specific task daily if there was no reward of that paycheck at the end of the week? My daughter uses different rewards. An edible treat. A pet or cuddle. An enthusiatic "good boy". Whatever works.

With that said... like everything else, what works for some may not work for others. We know these fids can be stubborn. But a clicker sure is a cheap thing to try. And easy to have on hand, so... what's to lose?

Good luck. And let us know how it goes. Especially since my Blue is becoming a bit obstinant himself. Hahaha
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

They are very cheeky little loads arent they.

I dont have a problem with Amazon and bed time never have, im hoping he doesnt start after reading that post:P

He will curl himself up a teh back of his cage and come out every so often but once he has been curled up for an hour i know he is in bed and its safe to shut the door, i have tried closing the door once before when he wasnt ready and i almost got his head so now i wait, but then again Amazon is clipped and has no choice when i put him in his cage if he hasnt put himself to bed.

Good luck
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

Post by bec »

cheeky little buggas :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Lauren

I'm sure clicker training will help... You just really need to teach them targeting, and from there you can teach a solid step up as well as teaching them a cue to go into their cages.

Having the birds out all day, will leave the birds feeling this is 'their home'.. I always make sure my birds love their cages - it's their refuge, their place to relax - a home.
Cheers

Lene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thankyou all for your input. Much appreciated. :wink:

Well, I tried Pinkdevils approach, and.. its working! YAY! We have been practicing step ups without going into the cage. :D Jibby is still being stubborn, but then.. he knows me too well.. but hes trying, he now wants to put himself in the cage. He'll refuse my step up attemp, but if I turn my back he'll climb in himself. :roll: Its like hes saying 'I'm too old for that mum, I can do it myself!' Yodas stepping up nearly everytime now! What a good birdy for once! hehe I think the move stuffed around their 'routine', so we'll need to do some 're training'.

I also had a thought.. its probably not true but.. day light savings is ending soon (extended for some reason unknown), I believe birds have 'built in clocks', maybe theyve gone a lil bonkers because the seasons changing? They sure have been acting weird lately, then.. the weathers been 'up the creek' lately.. its cold now, hard to believe Just over a week ago it was in the high 30s to 40 degrees. Thats Melbourne for ya. :roll: Feel sorry for those birds in outside avarys. They must be confused.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Post by laine »

Sorry but I just can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pinkdevil sure has a couple of good tips there. Smokey has tried blocking the cage door before by poking his head out just enough that if I closed the door his head would be in the way. I started putting him backwards and that seemed to help. I think you are right with daylight saving though. Even though Smokey is indoors, he has noticed the time change I am sure of this. He doesn't understand why I am sleeping in lately. He hasn't adjusted to the clocks going back an hour and now he wakes me up chatting and calling out - he never did this during daylight saving times.

Good luck with your cheeky but very clever fids. :lol:
Melika

Post by Melika »

With Hane and Tsume we got them used to having a thumb over one of thier feet when they're on our hands. Originally it was just to keep them from flying off if something startled them (a quick drop and twist of the hand had them right back up on the hand again) but now they know it means stay on the hand. And they also seem to feel more secure, because nothing ever bad has happened to them when we have a thumb over thier foot, lol.

I taught this to a friend who had a caique that loved to dive-bomb off hands (clipped) to the ground, no matter how far up he was. It just wasn't safe. :? Took a while, but it worked. He knew that thumb meant he wasn't going anywhere. And he was less skittish around strangers.

I tend to use body language with my animals more than sound. A habit from working with dogs all the time, I think. But it sure works. :D When I know Hane is going to be in a situation that might scare him, I put my thumb on his foot, which means 'it's okay' and he calms down. Just something we've always done. ^_^

Don't know if it will help you, for your situation. But you never know, and someone reading might like it too. Just like any other animal, what works for one might not work for the next. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
leo

Post by leo »

I shall comply with Mummys step up attemp, but as soon as you get to the door of the cage, hold one foot out so she cant shut the door, then climb out

they are too smart....

tango did the same, always ensure me he will be a good boy ang go home, then grab the door frame of the cage and climb out...

latest version...

he already the command go home anyway...
i took out a treat, and say go home, he will jump in to the cage..i give hime the treat and before myhand is out, he jump and stand at the door frame and eat there...so i cant close the door...he did it really fast...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Lena

Post by Lena »

I,m sorry but what is a pinkdevil?