Playing with toys

Moderator: Mods

celtic_aura

Playing with toys

Post by celtic_aura »

Finally, finally, finally! Gigi bird started playing with his toys yesterday. I was so happy. I have some wooden toys tied with leather from his ceiling and I've hidden treats in them. After a few days of looking at them, he finally latched on and started trying to get the treats out. He even untied one of the leather ropes! I'm hoping now that he has discovered the joy of toys, his pacing and screeching will be cut down.
Donna

Post by Donna »

8) very 8)

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

yay for toys with treats
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: I know that all too well. Lil buggas! You spend hundreds on toys and they wont even look at them! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Post by bec »

then they spend days & days playing with the cord on the blinds :roll:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: OMG Yoda is obsessed with the curtain cords. It drives me mad, because he likes to shred them and fray them all. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I recently spent over $50 on birdie toys and I go outside and they are playing with a stick!!! :shock:

Jasper loves red, anything red and it's hers. If she can't have it she growls lol

:)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon will happily play with paper or whatever i have he wants.
Sharlene and Amazon
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I am constantly amazed at Charlie Parker's fascination with anything knotted--using only his beak he has been able to untie even the tightest knots in his toys, my shoelaces, ropes, etc. I'm relieved that he is too timid to go explore the blinds...
bec

Post by bec »

kieron too!!! every toy ive bought with knots the wrecked in minutes first he undoes the knots then he shreds the rope :roll:
the first thing i look for in hanging toys is wether or not its tied at the top if it is i dont buy it unless i can thread a fruit spike through it otherwise its on the floor in seconds
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Last week, at about 9 in the morning, I was awoken by this ungodly banging. I pop my glasses on and low and behold, Gigi bird has managed to get the bell loose from a toy that has been in with him since day one that he had never bothered with before. He was shaking his head to get the bell ringing and was banging it agains his plastic peanut dish. I thought I'd die laughing. Well, he loves his little bell. He'll walk around his cagewith it in his beak, stop and shake his head madly to get it to make noise. And he has four dishes (three for foods and one for water) but only ever bangs it against his peanut dish. The great thing is, if he starts screeching, I open his cage and pop the bell in his beak. Kinda like a birdie soother! Much rather listen to the bell than the yell!

Now this morning I looked over and he was using two of his toys as a make shift swing! They are both hanging from the ceiling with leather rope. With a foot on each he was swinging like there was no tomorrow. Made me so happy to see! We have been wanting to get him a swing, but weren't sure. I think in a few weeks, once he's swung for a bit, I might get him a real swing.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like you have a real trapeze artist there with the rope "swing" :wink: :P
Gigi sounds like he is hinting for a swing to me :lol: :lol:

:)
bec

Post by bec »

my guys LOVE!!!!!!!! all their swings & when kieron wont let riku on the swings she just swings on the lace curtain while shredding the blind cord :roll:
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Heh heh. I"ve only seen him do it the one time, but I have the feeling he's swings his little brains out when I"m not home. My hubby gets in on the 21st and I think we're going to buy him a nice big swing.
Melika

Post by Melika »

That's awsome! xD

I love watching the birds play with the toys. ^^

For Hane I get long leather strips at the pet store and just tie 8 knots in it all the way down, with granny knots in between for him to untie. The 8 knots are more difficult, so it keeps that little beak busy! On all his toys, I'll retie what I can with eight knots too. Granny knots are just too simple. :lol:
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey loves his toys both in and out of his cage. Out of the cage he has a toy box (its a shoe box lid). I put his toys in it. He loves to rummage in it and he tosses out toys till he finds what he's looking for, it's really quite funny. He loves to throw a ball around and chase after it.
Zeke (my son's cockateil) loves his hanging toy but if he catches you watching him he stops :lol: it's as if he doesn't want to be seen playing and the look he gives you is as if he's saying "I wasn't playing with it I was moving it out of my way!!".
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Charlie Parker's favorite game is keep-away: He stands on the edge of his cage top and I bring one of his golf balls close. He lunges and grabs the ball in his beak then shakes his head and throws it. If I can't catch it he scores a point, otherwise I bring the ball back and he tries again to outsmart me. We both get a pretty good workout by the time he sets his ball down and decides the game is over, and I find all kinds of things he's thrown on the floor, too. :roll:
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Well, we bought Gigi bird a swing. After a couple of days of looking at it, he finally climbed on! In fact, he climbed right up to the top of it, swung one of his feet onto the toy hanging next to the swing and used the two as a make shift swing. :o Oh well. Maybe someday he'll figure it out.