Please help: Raul is shy :)

Moderator: Mods

intel86

Please help: Raul is shy :)

Post by intel86 »

Hello every body i have a couple questions about my new ringneck:
Raul (43 days now) & zizzy(39 days now) :)

1- I want to know the age for my birds if someone can know that from the pic's, coz the guy sold me them he said that the big one born first and the small one born after that with 4 or 5 days is that possible to make this different between them in the size ?

2- Raul is the big one he always afraid and go to the corner of the box or the cage when we get near and sometimes he hide down zizzy. why this behavior?and how i can get him to not be afraid?

3- I dont know if i can leave them in the cage now or i have to leave them in little box and if i have to leave them in the box when i can move them to the cage?

and here is some pic's for my babies Raul & zizzy :)

only today i catch him stand up :cry:

Darkness
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yes there can be quite a difference in size with just a few days seperating them. Especially when they are so young.
As they are very young, it is very natural for them to hide and crouch in a corner, makes them feel safer when they are afraid.
In the wild they would still be in the dark, warm, cosy nest so the cage might be too big for them at this stage. If you want to keep them in the cage, you could try putting a small box in there so that they can hide in and feel safe. Maybe put a bit of nesting material in the box so that it is a bit softer and easier to clean. It would also help keep them warm :)
I am guessing you are still handfeeding??? They are not old enough to be weaned yet. If you are still feeding, are they eating easily?
How long have you had them for? Was the breeder handraising them when you bought them or did the breeder take them straight out of the nest? If you have not had them for long, they would be very timid in their new surroundings and owner. IF they were taken from the nest, then that would explain why they are so afraid as well. It is their natural instincts to hide when they feel threatened or in danger so they are doing exactly what comes natural to them :)

Raul looks like he has a few feathers missing on his left side in the picture. Do you know what this is from?

Just remember that they are still very young and frightened young birds. So it will take a bit of time for them to trust and accept you.

They are very cute lil birds.

Good luck with them

:)
intel86

Post by intel86 »

Yes they are eating a lot and easily.(hand feed)

the man sold me them he have the parents and they was feed them around one month before i take them. I have them just for 2 weeks now and zizzy is sooo cute and hyperactive and she love to play with us.

for the feathers relly i dont know what cause that and this in both sides right and left, if you have any idea about that or what can cause that or mybe he still growing let me know.

I also want to know when i can put them in the cage nd leave them eat alone.
2 or 3 months ?

Thank you pinkdevil for you help
Darkness
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Glad I could be of some help :)

With my babies I handraised, they started to eat less at around the 6 week age. They do this naturally to lighten their weight in preparation for fledging :) When they started to eat less formula, (around 6-7 weeks) I added soaked seed and pellets with a bit of water mixed in, along with fruit & veg for them to try. By the time they were 8/9 weeks old, on 1 formula feed/day & were eating soaked seed, seed and soaked pellets, fruit and veg. I let them "tell" me when they are ready to wean. I don't force the issue. Around 9/10 weeks of age they had fully weaned themselves.

When they start flying you could put them in a cage. If the box is in the cage, they will probably leave the box on their own accord and sit in the cage.

:)
Natoru

Post by Natoru »

Aww they are soo cute xD Make sure they aren't eating the newspaper.. it's bad for them.
intel86

Post by intel86 »

Thnx for everyone its really helpful and Raul now not shy or afraid and he playing and trying to fly i think he trying to back to India :lol: .

everything is cool now

thnx again for alllllllllll :wink:
Darkness