Million Dollar Question?

Moderator: Mods

laine

Million Dollar Question?

Post by laine »

As you probably already know, I have Smokey. Some will recall my son, who is
16 1/2, has a cockateil. Smokey is now over 2 years old and the teil, Zeke, is about 9 - 10 months old. Zeke is very shy and is only just warming to my son even though he has been with him for 8 months. Zeke doesn't like me at all :? . Smokey loves everyone in our family especially if you have food, keys or a mobile phone.
Smokey also copies Zeke's sounds. They are not in the same room but can hear each other. I often take Smokey into my son's room and that's the only interaction the two birds have.
Smokey desperately wants to play with Zeke. When he sees him he gets very excited and tries to reach him.
My question is - if I let Smokey get close to Zeke, do you think he will hurt him, kiss him, peck him, play with him, or just sit next to him. Zeke doesn't seem at all interested in Smokey and if I put Smokey near him, he runs away. How do I know if it will be ok to let Smokey near Zeke (supervised of course) without the devastation of a bird fight or over eagerness of Smokey causing any harm to Zeke. Also, as Zeke is very timid, is there a chance he may, in his own defence and fear, bite back at Smokey not realising that Smokey only wants to play?
Hard one I know, but would appreciate your thoughts. :)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

From my experience, I don't think you can tell whats going to happen until they do interact. You've had them both a while and they have met within the safety of cages. I would let them out together, closely supervised of course. I believe they work out whos boss pretty fast. But if its too much aggression, maybe there is jealousy between them, and it might not be a good idea. Remember they are more likely to fight over food and toys, so try putting them at the same level with no 'triggers' of jealousy. This is just what I think.
You know your birds personality better than anyone, but beware.. they might want to play when they are within a safe boundry of separate cages. But its sometimes a whole other story outside of the cage.
They will lunge in defence. Its only natural and sometimes it only takes one lunge at another bird to show whos boss!
When I got Yoda, I was sure Jibby would be the aggressive one as he has been with tiels. I was completely wrong. Yoda immediately took over and Jibby just backed down. It was a complete change in personality with Jibby though!
Sometimes, Yoda just wants a kiss and Jibby doesnt realize it. He thinks Yoda wants to lunge at him, so his first reaction is a defence, lunging back. Then he realizes 'oh your being a nice birdy!' :roll: Mine dont really fight, Yoda just has to run towards him with an angry face and he turns his back or lowers himself, like his bowing down. Its like hes got his own way of dealing with Yoda. Just turn ya back or take a bow! haha. Well, it works for him. :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie wants to bite sid every time i try to let them interact so we dont let them play together cookie roams the lounge room while sid sits in his daddy's lap sid doesnt like playing on the floor so it doesnt bother him they are fine in the same room just as long they are not within striking distance of eachother