Dirty Bird.....

Moderator: Mods

ElliottsMomma

Dirty Bird.....

Post by ElliottsMomma »

I cannot get Elliott to bathe. He hates the spray bottle, I have a shallow bowl that I put out for him during play time and wants nothing to do with it. I have even taken a paper towel and dripped water onto him and he gets so mad at me. I do catch him washing up in his water dish but that is just his face. How can I get the rest of him clean, without making him mad???? I need some creative ideas!!
Bella

Post by Bella »

im having exactly the same problem :shock:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

Yay! I'm not alone!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I just let my birds bathe how they want to bathe :) If they are not interested in bathing so be it, I don't have to sleep with them :lol: :lol:
My aviary birds have a bird bath in which they prefer not to use as a bird bath and would rather wash in their tiny fruit/veg bowl when water is in it. Except the Rainbow Lories, they bath in anything lol They also like to get under the spray of the hose when I am cleaning/changing their water. My "indoor" birds bath in their water bowl and I just change it when they have finished or when I am cleaning out their cage, they also like the spray from the hose. One thing all the birds love is.....RAIN!!!

:)
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

start the vaccum that always gets cookie bathing :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

alana8819 wrote:start the vaccum that always gets cookie bathing :lol:

lol mabe cookie likes the "soothing" hum of the vaccum
Lene

Post by Lene »

Every couple of weeks I takes all my cages outside, to give them a good clean... The birds gets sprayed with soft water from the hose, and they all love it...

Maybe the smell of the wet foliage assist in this...

Many of my birds also have a bath as soon as I change their water...
Cheers

Lene
KellieH

Post by KellieH »

My little Fonz loves the shower, I let it bounce off my shoulder and the finer spray hits him, he bathes in that.. Put him up on the screen and he will try anything to get back down to me.. Splays his wings out rubs his head from side to side against his shoulders.. So cute to watch but he doesnt understand when its mummys time to shower.. :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Definately try the vacuum. My 2 dive right into water when I get the vacuum out. hehe. Every bird is different. But they do need to bath to keep those feathers looking tiptop and to get rid of food stuffs and dirt, some can just be grubby!. :wink: Keep trying, he'll figure it out. You could try just perching him in the shower while you have one, so he can watch until he decides whether or not to give it a try. Sounds silly but show him that bathing can be fun by chatting to him while you shower. :D This is how I got Yoda to have a shower.
Jibby prefers his own bucket, where as Yoda demands a shower with me! (Kellie, I have the same problem with Yoda, he hogs all the water while I stand freezing, waiting for him to finish!) Mine both hate being misted but I do it anyway on hot days to cool them down.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie gets cranky at first when i mist him but if i stop he chucks a tanty he'll run back and forth out of the mist but he loves it
Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

OMG.... i can't believe it! Our Petey baths in his water dish EVERY time the vacuum goes on! Does anyone know why?
Bella

Post by Bella »

wow i finally got billy to shower :lol: Im going to post pictures of his 1st shower in the photo section
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

I'm struggling with this too!
I just tried the vacuum while he was out free flying I did have a bath ready for him from earlier today, while vacuuming I looked over at him he was all fluffed up definately in bath mode... so I moved the bath over to a different spot so it drew attention to it for him and in he went...
Then I got worried as i'd really only just started vacuuming and thought he might be on perma bathe for the whole duration of the vacuuming but he got out thankfully...
Another great excuse to vacuum daily!!! :?

Edited to add, he has only bathed once in the 3 weeks I have had him I have offered a bath daily and in different locations to try and entice him and nothing...
I am definately going to 3rd the vacuum technique, thanks everyone...