about teritorial birdy

Moderator: Mods

leo

about teritorial birdy

Post by leo »

hi guys, i think i better start a new thread here...

hi...thanks bella, tango has become his normal self accept the feather dropping...

anyway...i heard alot about IRN get teritorial on its cage prior maturity...

flash back, i want to ask about this long ago, but before i can do so, the rat attacked, so it is more urgent...raty thing is sattled, now come back to what i wana ask

ok

tango start to get teritorial, he pinned and lounge when my hand go inside...but he become nice agian when he is outside...

what i do is ...
emm
that time, tango already master the shake hand trick...
so, i do the trick again and again, about 7-9 times, and traat is given...

then i put him into the cage with the door open...then i said shake+slowly give my hand...
he lounge, but my hand stay and i said again shake...then he do the hand shaking and from there, everything easy...i keep doing that for 3 days, at night...but, at the 3rd day, no more treat...

now tango will want my hand to go into his cage after i put him back, pet him awhle then go..seems like he is thinking he don't mind sharing his cage with my hand...haha

ok

the question is...

do you guys think it will work on other bird...
it work on tango, anyway, its just i bird and im a newbe here...

i beg for edvice, suggestion and opinion...

thnaks

Post by Donna »

do you guys think it will work on other bird...
i

Never can be really sure, What works on one bird may not work on another. But don't give up trying.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
leo

hi

Post by leo »

hi, thansk donna, should i try implimenting the mothod to my neighbour cocatoo which turn teritoric slowly but now already in the stage of giving attacking signal and bite when theres hand goes in...

need your advise, as i still want my hand...haha :D
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Donna

Post by Donna »

Now you are talking about a Cockatoo (my specialty)!!

Like I told you in another post it's up to the owner of the bird to tame it. You can give them advise on how you did it with Tango but they have to be the ones to work with the bird. Cockatoo's are very temperamental and can be very hard to read their body language. How old is the Too and is it male or female. What type of Too is it. A male Moluccan can be one of the hardest birds to handle once they get into their hormonal stage. This is not something you want to take on by yourself. But the same technique that you used on Tango to earn his trust will work on the cockatoo.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
leo

hi donna

Post by leo »

thanks alot donna....

i did not get enough info about the bird age and gender...it is at my home town, indonesia...the owner is my neighbour...i will askhim to do by himself...but the last time i saw coco("the cocatoo") he was a nice and cudly bird...well bonded to human...but coco seems to like me much more than his owner even i very seldon see him...

i mean like, i live in singapore and will go back during holiday...when the 1st time i meet coco, he get excited and jump, towadr me(not walk)...then say hallo, im coco...thats the only sentance he can say...so, took him to peachr on my hand...he never want to his owner when im around...his owner has daily interaction with him while i only ee him like two period (holiday period) every year...i also don't understand why... :D

so,he is now getting on with his cage,and the owner want me to handle...he got bitten badly...the cocatoo is the big pink colour cocatoo, i don noe the species name...not galah cocatoo...but i think is around 6-7 year...he ownerhave him for 4 years...if i wasnot wrong, thesop keeper mention he was 3 year old...but, im not sure...
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Lene

Post by Lene »

You're using clicker training with Tango... Why not extend your knowledge to your friends.... :)
Cheers

Lene
Donna

Post by Donna »

First off your going to have to let nature takes it's course. which means he is in full breeding mode and nothing is going to take him out of it until breeding season is over. That could take up to 4 to 6 months. This does not mean you have to run out and find him a mate, (bad idea). Cockatoos exhibit aggression out on the ones they love and Leo you can handle him when you see him because he doesnt see you as a threat to his flock mate (your friend). Male Moluccan cockatoos are one of the hardest birds to live with when they are in this stage.
Tell your friends to just let him alone for now until he comes around to being social again. Then you can use what ever method of training you want.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
leo

thanks donna

Post by leo »

thanks donna...i have sent all the msg i have to tell my friend...

he tried clicker training from birdtrick, and it doesn't work...but from what i hear from him...i think he did not understand the cd complately as it is in english(language barier) so, i ask him to stop and wiat till me or somebody translsate for him...

i think its better than do it incorrecly and damage coco behaviour...