bobby

Moderator: Mods

lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

i was wondering on how and wear to strat tameing and traing bobby is a blue irn and he is 6 months old can anyone help thank you lucy
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

ummm if he bites you

i would try and get one of his favortie toys out

And then when you go to get him show him his favorite toy and mabye he will come out

to teach him to talk not saying that he will but if he is talker just repeat a word over and over and over again and he should pick it up and same thing for a whistle
-Justin
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

he dosent bite he just dosent want to come out u can put ya hands in the gage and he wont bite just moves away from you a dont think hes tame at all and was wondering were i start thanks lucy
Donna

Post by Donna »

Lucy you can start by letting him come out on his own. He may step up on your hand once he is out but sometimes it takes a long time for them to trust you.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

ok thank you al try that what dose anyone think about the wing clipping is it a good idea or not
nil

Post by nil »

its not so easy to tame a irn, its more easy if you had handfeeding him when he was few weeks old.
Now he need time and patience
You must win his trust first, for that spend time with him, talking him and serve him treats and toys with your hands.
You must provide him a quiet enviroment, free from stress, dont make things that afraid him
when he uses you, it may touch him and try then to put him out of his cage for a fly into rooms.
But you must wait....

for the feather clipping there are two opposite opinions,
i dont like it, but may help.
i agree to clipping only for safe reasons ( possibility of escape) not for taming, its so nice for a bird to fly!
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

clipping will help with taming
skibum

Post by skibum »

How long have you had him/her?
I got Max at 5 months and took loads and loads and loads and loads ...etc... of work. However every day was an improvement and every month - or sometimes less - was a MAJOR improvement.
Don't give up. Never really going to be as cuddly (potentially) as a hand-reared (although that isn't necessarily the truth either), but once the bond is formed you are away.
And then every new day is a joy.
As for clipping - there are a few (quite a few!) who really don't agree with it because they love to see them fly. But the main reason is safety - the bird's. They could fly into windows or fly away into the wild. They are magnificent birds when they fly, but if you want to tame one you need to clip - especially at 6 months.
I hated it too...
But then I lost Max when he only had 2 flight feathers. He only got a fright otherwise he NEVER left me. But that's all it takes.

Also I got contacted by someone who had found an IRN hanging around their house and as it went to land on my mate's shoulder a hawk swooped over the house and just missed taking the IRN as well as taking my mate's head off.
Plus in the early days it gives them a bit of dependence on you, and that helps create the bond.

P.S. the IRN returned 5 hours later after avoiding the hawk, but I never felt more helpless than at that moment when it flew off first around the trees and then miles into the distance with the hawk in hot pursuit...
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

i have had him just about a month he likes grapes itry to give himone out of my fingers/ hand but dont know weather am doing it write he hasent took it yet so i try for a while but then just put themin is food bowl hes come out a few times but not by himslef really i put my hand in to see ifhe would jump on it and he flew out the gage when my husband cup him in a towl to get himbk in gage he let me stroke his head without trying to bite me butthats as far as have got at min thanks lucy
nil

Post by nil »

it needs patience and more time lucy,
as i see your bird dont know you enough and he is affraid yet.
avoid things that scare him, like the catch with towel.
skibum

Post by skibum »

Nil is right - you want to get him used to your hands so avoid the towel if you can. Sometimes they don't mind (rarely), but generally I think most people only use it for clipping.
This will probably mean a few nips, but the bird has to learn that your hands won't hurt it.
Patience patience patience
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

thanks for ur help as far as the wing clipping is it farley easy to do ya slef as am worried about moveing him from the house again if it is fairly easy can anyone explane how i would go about it pleas thanks lucy
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

I was given an IRN because it was 'mean'. Well they weren't kididng ... BUT, I worked with her every day for 6 months, taking her into the bathroom (with the door closed and toilet closed) and letting her come out of her cage, then trying to handle her.

It took SIX MONTHS working with her every day for 15 to 20 minutes in the bathroom (sometimes twice or three times a day!) chasing her around (she's flighted and no way was I gonna lose a finger trying to clip her wings!) before she trusted me enough to let me touch her.

The FIRST time she flew to me and landed on me I wasn't sure if she was gonna take my ear off or not! Now she actually purrs and makes little clicking noises when she's loving on me

It will take patience to get the bird to trust you, don't give up, it is worth it in the end

My IRN Nala doesn't speak at all But that's ok cuz she is my lover bird ... too much so sometimes ... none of the other fids can be on me without being attacked if Nala is out. She even goes after the cat!

They are VERY possessive, of people and their cages sometimes. I still have to be careful if she is in her cage when I change food and water ... she's been known to nail me when put the water dish in or out

She was a TERROR when I got her. It took 6 months, work-outs of up to an hour at a time in an enclosed space (bathroom) to finally convince her I am NOT the enemy - and a myriad of BIG BITES!

But now she is a lover! A JEALOUS lover, but in the last 6 months (since she decided to play nice), I've only been bitten once when I startled her. She makes sure the rest of the fids stay off HER mom, tho ... including the CAT!!

Try here IRN Forum for info on Indian Ring Necks. I belong to that forum as well and they've taught me a lot on how to handle Nala.

Her flock call is PIERCING!!! Luckily she doesn't do it often, morning to let me know she's awake, and at night to let me know it's bed time!!! But she is the one I will yell at the most if I don't cover her soon enough and she gets going!

It took Nala from February to October to decide she loves me ... used to take CHUNKS out of my arm with that big red beak ... but now she truly is a lover ... VERY possessive, VERY cage territorial, even when I change out her food/water ... but once out of her cage she IS a lover bird with me. Not friendly with other fids tho. She will attack, even the cats!

I love her, tho, and she loves me. Very independent sometimes, but still a beautiful bird.

Definitely not for the faint of heart (and those who want to keep ALL body parts attached!!) and not for those who want to keep their ears working ... VERY loud ... she is the one that will get me yell SHUT UP!!

Beautiful bird and worth the downsides to get that loving little purr in your ear!
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

hi jooane can i just ask did u take her in to the bathroom and work with her without her wings being cliped bobby will take food from my fingers threw the bars he makes some strange nossies so i guss thats him try to talk but not quit there yet so if i wqas to take bobby to the bathroom and work with him there i mite be abble to get some were with him hes ok if u pick him up in a towel but if ya do it with ya hands he dose bite
Lene

Post by Lene »

I'm sorry to voice my opinion here, but if it takes you 6 months in a small room for your bird to get to love you, you're using negative reinforcement, and probably using flooding...

I think it's fantastic your bird loves you, but did he have a choice?
Cheers

Lene
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

well wouldn't ur bird to love you?

I mean come on did he have a choice?

If he didnt love her then he would still being to all the stuff he was
:roll:
soo yea he had a choice
-Justin
Lene

Post by Lene »

I'm soooo sorry to again promote positive reinforcement...

I know some people hate the thought of giving an animal a treat for his work.... But how many of us work for nothing? I work for my pay cheque, and do a great job for the money I'm paid... and here you are, wanting your animals to work for a kiss on the cheek...
Cheers

Lene
Donna

Post by Donna »

Lucy you got alot of good advise and stories from people that had your same problem. If you take bits and peices off every one and put them together to work with your bird you'll do fine. :D

A kiss never hurt anyone either :wink:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

hi thank you everyone for all ur help am getter there slowlery with him he will take food frommy fingers now its just the wing clipping i need to get done someone posted a digram on how to do it if i fowelled it wouldi be able to doit my slef cos am struggling to find a avian vet in grimsby and i dont know if putting him in the car again will upset him as he didnt seem to beto keen when we brought him here in the car thank you lucy
nil

Post by nil »

for clipping feathers : http://birdmart.com/reference/wings.html
but i prefer a vet, at least for the first time
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

sounds like your doing a fantastic job :D
lucy

bobby

Post by lucy »

can i just ask do u clip the primery and secoundy feathers or just the primery ones thank you lucy