Constant calling

Moderator: Mods

celtic_aura

Constant calling

Post by celtic_aura »

Hey everyone. About two weeks ago my husband and I adopted a seven year old Indian ringneck that was unfortunately used as a breeder for about 3 or 4 years.
I am slowly working on getting Gigi to trust me but I have a question. His high pitched ear splitting call that he does. Is there anyway to get him to do it less? Or is it a matter of me getting use to it? My husband works away from home 20 days out of the month, and before he left, Gigi was only calling every once in a while. But my husband has been gone for a week now and Gigi does his call for at least 5 hours a day. He was also doing step ups before Jason left and now everytime I try, he jumps off my hand.
I can handle working on the step ups, but the constant calling is slowly driving me crazy and is to the point where it's making me dizzy.
I'm not a first time owner and have no intentions of giving him back because he is too loud. I just need some tips on managing it.
Thanks
Donna

Post by Donna »

Your Gigi bird is just calling for the other birds that he lived with for so long. I know the noise can be irritating but give him time. As long as you don't answer is calling it will deminish some what. When he is quiet go sit by his cage and talk softly, birds have to pay close attention when you whisper at them. Treat him for being quiet. If you pass his cage and he doesn't call or react then drop a peanut in and walk away. Even though it wasn't a good enviorment that he came from it was the only one he knew so be patient and he will eventually come around. Clipping the wings also helps them get over being so independent.

Good luck :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Thanks! That's basically what I've been doing. He was coming around but seemed to start all over when my hubby went back to work. I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track. And I am unfortunate to have amazing acoustics in my house. LOL
Donna

Post by Donna »

AWW poor BUB Hope he gets settled soon and realize that when you do leave you always come back.

You can also try a spray bath (not for punishment) but before he gets into his contact calls you can try to give him a nice warm bath w/spray bottle while he is in the cage, that seems to calm them for a little while and will get his mind on something else, (preening).

Donna OH!! and Welcome to the board :D
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Lene

Post by Lene »

I would start clicker training.

It has many side effect, such as stopping screaming and biting.

There's a group called BirdClick, who is only about clicker training. It's easy, and provides your bird with the ability to make choices as well as empower her.

Here's the link:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bird-Click/

When a bird stops screaming or a dog stops barking, they normally go through an extinguish burst, and that might be what is happening right now.

When they get no reaction, they'll try harder and longer, and then it will extinguish.
Cheers

Lene
Donna

Post by Donna »

Sorry I just can't put a lot of hope into this clicker training. I'm sure it works for some but not every bird is going to take to it.
First I don't want to run around all day with a clicker in my hand to make my bird obey a command. I want him to step up when I say to not cause he will hear a noise and get a treat.
Second most of my birds would probably have more fun imitating the clicker noise then anything else.
I'm not saying it won't work for some but I prefer to have them do things with voice command and praise not (click here's a treat.)

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

I think some of his calling has to do with boredom, but unfortunately he's scared of every toy I put in with him. Yesterday evening I attached a mirrow to the side of his cage. He has been talking to it and trying to feed it ever since. So hopefully I'll be able to add some more toys over time. He's also very attached to his cage, so I think Gigi is getting a Valentine's day gift of a new cage.
I think he just has to learn to trust me and realize that I love him and I'm not going to hurt him. I just needed to hear from other owners that in two years time he still won't be constanly calling. :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

Donna wrote:Sorry I just can't put a lot of hope into this clicker training. I'm sure it works for some but not every bird is going to take to it.
First I don't want to run around all day with a clicker in my hand to make my bird obey a command. I want him to step up when I say to not cause he will hear a noise and get a treat.
Second most of my birds would probably have more fun imitating the clicker noise then anything else.
I'm not saying it won't work for some but I prefer to have them do things with voice command and praise not (click here's a treat.)

Donna

Lol, vocal command and praise is the same as clicker training. It's the same concept. The 'good bird' is used instead of a click, and the praise instead of a treat. To the birds, praise IS a treat! ^_~

When Hane went through his period of screaming, I began sitting in the room near his cage with a book, earplugs in. He could scream his little head off all he wanted but I never gave him a glance. When he was quiet for whatever amount of time I deemed fit, I would begin to give him attention. If he began to scream again, I would go back to my book. It worked for me and Hane. So it might be something you can try. Earplugs are your friend! ^_^
Do you think Gigi would like the toy if he saw you playing with it? I used to have to play with toys a little to get Hane interested. Of course, he also has his preferences. He LOVES the texture of leather and those quickly become his favourites. Tsume loves to demolish wood, so his favourites are wooden toys. And maybe try some foraging toys? Food can help a bird overcome his fear, lol.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

He LOVES food! The only toys I have been able to get him to play with are foraging toys and only on the top of his cage. But sicne I've put the mirror in, he's calming down. Even lets me walk up to the cage without him freaking out. I LOVE the earplug idea.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Oh, and since Hane loves to shred things, I'll buy shredders or cut strips of white paper and tie them around his toys. So he ends up playing with his toys before, during, and after his shred-fest. ^_^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Donna

Post by Donna »

Lol, vocal command and praise is the same as clicker training. It's the same concept. The 'good bird' is used instead of a click, and the praise instead of a treat. To the birds, praise IS a treat! ^_~

Exactly :D But if I had an emergency and had to get the birds out fast I don't have to scramble around trying to find that dang clicker :P

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Lene

Post by Lene »

Donna wrote:Sorry I just can't put a lot of hope into this clicker training. I'm sure it works for some but not every bird is going to take to it.

This is how trainers all over the world train wild animals (and that's what our birds are). They might use something else as a secondary enforcer, like a whistle, which is often used with marine animals, but as the primary enforcer, the easiest is food.

lol... no, I don't think anyone does that. I may do 2-5minutes per day for at new bird. When the bird has learned the basics you no longer need the clicker for that - just the new stuff you want to train... The clicker is just a tool. It's precise and gives the same sound each time, whereas a voice can vary in pitch and severity.

I only have 6 birds, but none of them have ever imitated the clicker, and if they did it wouldn't matter.

I'm not saying it won't work for some but I prefer to have them do things with voice command and praise not (click here's a treat).

Donna

It would be so nice and easy, if our birds would do what we tell them without any training. Unfortunately I can't get mine to comply, although after a couple of weeks using positive reinforcement (like clicker training), I have cued the behaviour, and the birds know the cue (command).... I often give treats, but not always.

Donna, I'm very interested in how you train a new and aggressive bird to step up...

Now I'm just hoping no one is going to take offence to my post :(
Cheers

Lene
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie does things on command unless he is in a monster of a mood :roll: i like donna use commands and praise a read about clicker training but didnt think much of it but whatever works for your bird. i pay no attention to cookie when he is really loud so he knows if he wants mummy to come to me and not scream
Donna

Post by Donna »

Donna, I'm very interested in how you train a new and aggressive bird to step up...

First I have to tell you I don't TRAIN my birds, we are not going to be in Sea World shows or late night talk shows so I see no need to train my birds.
I Tame my birds and socialize them that's it. They are wild animals and I'm not running a circus. I'm much to busy to sit and train a bird to wave, roll over, or any stupid tricks (they have their dignity).
I mostly deal with the macaws and cockatoo's with bad habits and major issues.
My advise I give to people here only pertains to taming IRN's. and getting them to a point where the owner can handle them easier. I'm not saying that my advise will work on every bird that's why I tell them to take every body's advise and use a little of every thing. What works for one bird may not work for another.
I know how to read my birds body language (very important) If ask them to do something and they refuse I don't push the issue I wait till their ready. (I don't get bit). So many people make this mistake and end up getting bit not just once but several times and then get angry cause their bird keeps biting them. LEARN TO LEAVE THE BIRD ALONE IF THAT'S WHAT IT WANTS..... No clicker in the world is going to make a bird do something if that bird does not want to be bothered.
Another thing you have to realize is trainers all over the world that train wild animals still treat them as wild animals and never take their guard down.
Now for your question on how I get a new and aggressive bird to step up?

TIME, PATIENTS, Earn their trust and rest come naturally.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
nicola24

Post by nicola24 »

i have to say i have only just got an IRN and i have to agree with alana and donna. your bird should only do things when it is ready and on voice command. Again i agree with donna, if there is an emergency then the bird will know its command and do as its told quick time.
In fact, donna, would it be possible to have an email address or messenger addy for you as i could do with your advice.
Thanks.
Nicola.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I'd be happy to give you some personal advise!! You can PM me any time.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
fiona

Post by fiona »

I don't know how others feel about this, but I would take the mirror out. He will bond to his image (ie trying to feed it) and not you.
My bird was not social at all when I first got her. I taught her to step up by first putting her on the floor and , in her case because she has fingers issues from being grabbed constantly, I used a dowel to get her to step up. When she got that down, I moved to the arm, etc. Don't stress him out. Only work on it for 10-15 minutes or less if he is getting irritated. Try to keep him around you as much as possible, even if to just watch you doing stuff. It took Fiona several months to step up reliably without biting. Don't expect it to happen over night.
skibum

Post by skibum »

my opinion only (well, not mine alone as someone else suggested it), but I agree about the mirror thing.

I have always been of the opinion that it is like another bird to them and they will talk to it cos it responds in kind every time, and in the end it will give the mirror more attention than you.
fiona

Post by fiona »

The greek myth of narcissist and echo comes to mind. Narcissist was desirable to everyone, but he only truly loved himself. So when he met echo, who could only repeat what others said (she pissed Hera off), he naturally fell in love. :lol:
skibum

Post by skibum »

Well, there you go - you can't compete with Greek mythology!! :lol:
Someone studied the classics...!
...never really realised just how philosophical and insightful Greek mythology was... :D
maybe all IRN's should be called Narcissus...?!? (male only obviously!)
fiona

Post by fiona »

Ironically, when Narcissist was a baby, his parents took him to Apollos temple and asked how long he'd live. They were told he would live as long as he never knew himself. By knowing Echo, he learned who he was, thus he did not live very long after (I forget how he dies).
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

I didn't want to put the mirror in at first because I had heard he would pay more attention to the "new bird" than me, but the opposite is true! Since I gave him his mirror he's very curious about me and what I'm doing. He seems to be more curious about his surroundings, too. Now that could just be a coincidence, but he seems a lot happier with me and life in general since he got his mirror. Spends a good portion of his day talking and chittering to the mirror, me, his food dish, the newspaper on the floor. LOL He just seems happier all around. Now when he does his calling it's easier for me to discern if he's calling for me or if something is bothering him.
fiona

Post by fiona »

Probably because (s)he was a breeder...You can always take it out if it becomes a problem. It might be a good idea until (s)he gets used to its surroundings.