just wondering if maybe hes trying to speak!

Moderator: Mods

rocketsmummy

just wondering if maybe hes trying to speak!

Post by rocketsmummy »

Hi Everyone!
Im only new to owning a ringneck so im not sure about all the milestones they genrally make and when they should make them.
Rocket ,my green irn is about 16 weeks old now and from what i have read they genrally dont start talking untill around 7mths old.......two days ago everytime i spoke he began to make little sqwauking noises so i made a point of saying hello (what i say everytime i walk up to him) when i said this he woud stop listen the make his varied swauking sounds again. this went on for about 5 mins,my husband and i were sure it sounded at one time like he was trying to form the hello sound in a squaky kinda way.
then he did this again todaY i said hello he listened then made all kinds of noises ,i spoke he listened then started to sqwauk again
do you think he is trying to speak? :?: :?: :?: :?:
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

i forgot to mention
i have taught him to give kisses (bribe with sunflower seed) and when he tries to get on my head i will say no! and he lets go of my hair and stays put on my shoulder or if he goes to nibble my ear or earring i also just say no and he stops ( but this is very hard for him lol earrings are pretty lol)......i also have taught that come on means on my arm(or finger)this usualy but not always requires a sunflower seed. he lets me and my kids pick him up with cupped hands and pat him ocassionaly or scatch hes neck but this is usually when he is tired only.
is there anything else i should be teaching him for disipline or fun even?
how do i teach other things to him? i need ideas im not creative enough lol!
i hope im going about this all the right way.
have i taught him enough so far and taught the right way? thanks.
Donna

Post by Donna »

I think he is trying to talk. The most important part is he is listening to you. They try talking at any age but you don't really understand them good until they are about 7 to 8 months old. He will also practice while he has his head tucked under his wing and you think he's sleeping. Keep doing what your doing and he will be talking in no time. :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Aww I love it when they start talking. They try so hard to listen to what you say. I find they talk more when they are sleepy. There are lots of 'teach your bird to talk' videos out there and many trick training ideas like 'clicker training'. I havnt tried them, but you could give it a go? I'm thinking of getting a miniture basketball hoop or soccer set, (seen them a variety stores for only a few dollars), because my Yoda seems to love putting wiffle balls through things and chucking them around! Also, use a word you use for different actions, so they associate the word with the action. Goodluck!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
rocketsmummy

Post by rocketsmummy »

thanks guys,
yeah i thought he was trying to talk i hope its soon cause i feel very repeative . lol
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

He could be trying to talk, just like mine when I tried to teach her to say hello, she sort of make noise that sounds like hello but in a weird way.
Keep encouraging him to talk!
leo

hi

Post by leo »

hi...mine too...

but now he never did that anymore...

last time he always make funny voice like trying to say something when no body around...but now, he like never make any attemp to talk..but he is youg still, about 3-4 month...

but, he understand that, tango is his name, "good boy" is prise, hallo is to say hi, and come here is an comand to come and he will fly to my hand when he hear come here...

and also sake hand, and lye down...

anyway, he stopped prcticing i guess...any suggrstion to make him interested in trying again?

thanks
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............