Going away for a few days, how will our IRN cope?

Moderator: Mods

billyboyblue

Going away for a few days, how will our IRN cope?

Post by billyboyblue »

Hi there,

My partner and i have a 12 week old ringneck, we have had for 3 weeks. In a few days time we are going away and the fella will be staying at my parents place. They will spend lots of time with him like we do, but i am worried that it will set our relationship with him back. Will we have to start from scratch when we get back??

Cheers,

Ben [/img]
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I truely believe IRNs don't forget us. In 04' I left my Jibby for a year to work/live interstate. He lived at my dads and was well looked after with people he was familar with. When I came home in Dec 05', he was a little more trusting of my younger sister at first who he spent his time with, but soon 'latched' onto his mummy again. lol.
Your baby sounds like hes in loving care and should be fine for a couple of weeks. Does he know your parents faces? Maybe they could spend a little time with him before you leave so they are not completely different people. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

You may have to do a bit of work, but the good news is that your parents can bond too and you will have a babysitter that he knows! Magellan still remembers my friend who got her from the pound for me about a year and a half ago. She only spent one night with her and has seen her three or four times since then, but she knows her auntie!
MCS
Melika

Post by Melika »

It's one of the things I love about ringnecks. You can go away for a month and they still love you when you come back!

I find Hane to be perfect for me, lol. Not too needy- just independant enough. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
skibum

Post by skibum »

My last (lost now) Ringneck Max was a real one-person bird, but after a while he used to enjoy staying at my parents - although every evening from around 4.30pm on he would start running back and forth expecting his dad to come home!!
Mum could handle him OK if I wasn't there, but as soon as I came back he would not talk to anyone else!!
New baby Ziggy a bit more sociable as was hand-reared, but they remember you alright!